Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community

Thoughts on Acacia Ridge

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Samj, 5th Apr, 2016.

1. Samj

Samj Well-Known Member

Just wondering what are people's current opinions on Acacia Ridge? Looks like the cheapest when considering the proximity...

2. mikey7

mikey7 Well-Known Member

I've been looking in that proximity as well. The main thing that puts me off is its right on the Archerfield Airport. With this, will come noise.

I have been looking at aircraft tracking apps and haven't seen anything too large come out (or in) to it, but I would imagine it be similar to 'Bankstown Airport' in Sydney which hosts a variety of small planes, up to smaller jet planes like Learjets. EDIT: The runways simply aren't long enough to serve anything bigger like a 737, after some investigation.

You'd have to especially be on the lookout for their training flight plans too. There are 8 flying schools based out of the airport.. so they would have a constant flight plan of flying around the airport within 2km at low altitudes (1,000ft/305m).

3. RetireRich101

RetireRich101 Well-Known Member

There is noise intensity float on the internet which could be useful. Last time I looked that audio extends out to Sunny Bank hills.

There are a some LMR in AR that present good value if it's under 400k. It's probably the cheapest dev lot in BCC.

4. aussieshorter

aussieshorter Well-Known Member

A decent portion of Acacia Ridge is industrial, and you've also got Beaudesert Road running through it which I'd stay away from.

It's always seems to be on the list of suburbs in Brisbane with the highest crime rate, and not somewhere I'd choose to live. But it's next to some very nice suburbs in Algester, Sunnybank and Stretton, and at a much lower price tag.

5. Befuddled

Befuddled Well-Known Member

I think cheapest doesn't mean best prospects for growth. Needs to be seen in perspective.

Lets compare Acacia Ridge to nearby Sunnybank Hills.

www.sqmresearch.com.au/asking-property-prices.php?postcode=sunnybank+hills&t=1

SQM Research - Weekly Asking Property Prices

Asking price of all houses for Acacia Ridge: 505k
    Asking price of all houses for Sunnybank Hills: 662k

At first glance you could say Acacia Ridge is over 150k cheaper (ignoring fundamentals and everything else) so surely it's better to buy there. But have a look at the 3year % change between the 2 surburbs.

Acacia Ridge 3yr % change: 31%
    Sunnybank HIlls 3yr % change: 15.5%

A.R has experienced significant more growth in the last 3 yrs. Is it still a better prospect?

HUGH72 and vbplease like this.
  6. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

Interesting analysis, I am not a fan of A.R but its done surprisingly well. It might be due to its relative affordability compared to its neighbours. Shows that not liking an area doesn't mean money cannot be made.
    The area is low socioeconomic yet its not that far from the BN CBD compared to Logan.

Archerfield airport noise isn't much of a problem, it only caters for aircraft below 5700kg.
    The problem is heavy industry and the fact that it's main arterials are probably the busiest transport routes in Brisbane. The roads are clogged with trucks.
    Some of the suburb is low lying and flood maps need to be consulted.

Seal likes this.