Those who are selling - Why?

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by longtimelurker99, 22nd Mar, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. longtimelurker99

longtimelurker99 Well-Known Member

For those who have sold in this bull market (last month or so) I would like to know why? Forced to? Getting out of a suburb, to get in somewhere else?

2. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

I have one property I've never really liked, it's on a busy road. However there is potential for a developer to come knocking one day...I mean my neighbour is a townhouse complex after all. It stands to reason my property could be rezoned not long from now.

But otherwise everything else will be a long term hold for me.

3. albanga

albanga Well-Known Member

I’m in process of selling PPOR.
    I’m in a townhouse in a great suburb with a 15 month old and now WFH 3 days per week. Our company WFH now fully optional.

Simply want space.
    Planning to move 10k further which should see me get double the space in land and house and save 100-200k mortgage.

Tillie, Harris, Perthguy and 2 others like this.
  4. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

We'd planned on selling one house about now and clear some debt. But with the Brisbane market going gangbusters, we've chosen to wait another year and see how things go.

If prices pull back, we will hold and just reduce loans via rental income. Loans will be repaid within ten years just from rental income, but costs are high for holding.

The trade off for us is paying interest and costs to hold that house for another year, but the rent covers some of that.

Codie and longtimelurker99 like this.
  5. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Selling because (and only if) I get some fantastic prices. And it's likely. Also I have some good places to park the money to then earn me more.

I'm also only selling a small amount of my portfolio. In part it's also good risk management from my POV for my overall assets.

6. Morgs

Morgs Well-Known Member Business Member

Most people I am working with at the minute who are selling are doing so to upgrade OO. That includes some selling IPs to fund bigger OOs.

7. BB5

BB5 Well-Known Member

Because it's a seller's market and can now pay off ppor.

Heinz57 likes this.
  8. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Your plans for OO upgrade will be epic, I hear:)

9. Harris

Harris Well-Known Member

For those that have sold out of fear/ panic or (pre-mature) greed without upgrading to another dwelling/ deploying funds into higher yielding opportunities would live to regret their pre-mature-ejection from the market!!

We have a very long way to go for the prop values and sharing a material % age of the gains with ATO (c25%) on account of cgt (for top tax bracket) would significantly erode their paper wealth.

Prop and long term being invested is the game of wonderful compounding through staying for multiple cycles but at a very minimum, not dropping the pants and running for the hills at the very start of a super boom cycle! That is not investment - it is trading/ speculating!

Disclosure - I am selling 4 TH out of my multiple developments which are almost finished (and 100% of proceeds going to ato for tax owed from 2019) but holding 90% of stock for the long haul.

Stoffo, Realist35 and Codie like this.
  10. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Problem is, now or down the track, you'll have to cop CGT. Holding will result in more equity but proportionately more tax.

Plus if one can't refinance or cash out, the only way to enjoy the spoils is to sell.

11. Morgs

Morgs Well-Known Member Business Member

Should tick a few boxes, but must be said they are not my plans :D
    I just get the money approved ;)

Sackie likes this.
  12. Harris

Harris Well-Known Member

Prop price - $1m SD -$50k
    Cost base $1.05m

Prop sold (start of boom) - $2m.
    Selling costs - $50k.

Cost base - $1.1m
    Gross CG - $1m
    Net CG - $900k
    CGT - ~ $245k
    After tax gain - $655k

Adding 25% more growth during the cycle:

Cost base $1.1m
    Sell price - $2.5m
    Net CG - $1.4m
    CGT ~$336k
    After tax gain - $1.064m

Almost 60% higher net gain (even after tax) if (as we are expecting there is a very significant probability of this prop cycle carrying for 12 months) .

Again, I understand the 'taking profit' and that jazz but it is too early in the cycle. If someone is willing to pay 25% premium to 3 months ago and we expect cycle to carry on (even slowing down), they are likely to pay significantly more in 6 months.

Losing 25% growth in a cycle amplifies the net losses (absence of gains) to over 60%!

All numbers are general (didnt double check) and just to highlight the dangers of jumping off too early..

oracle and bamp like this.
  13. BB5

BB5 Well-Known Member

The underlying assumption in this thread is that prices will continue to climb substantially.

It could well happen but it could just as likely go the other way if interest rates climb, people can leave the country again or an increase of available stock flips it more in the buyers favour than currently.

SAlad likes this.
  14. Harris

Harris Well-Known Member

Understand all those - but we all make investment decisions based on the probability of an event occurring.

For 'serious' investors who can assess the opportunities, the probability of any of the headwinds are the lowest, they have ever been in prop game (or lowest I have ever seen) and the probability of this boom continuing on is the highest- for all the reasons highlighted by all & sundry.

Never been more certainty around IR, consumer & business confidence, growth in employment, business activity, auction clearance rates the fact that this is being lead by OO & FHB, high lending standards.

Add to the fact that the earliest growth spurt has been the fastest in 35 years (since early 80s) tells me the momentum has just started to generate.

Yes, crap can hit the fan but the overwhelming probability (90%+) is that this will carry on for the rest of this year at a minimum.

Even if we reduce that probability say from 90% to 50% and turn almost bearish on the forecast, even then the fact that we are letting go of 60% additional after tax gain by panicking is letting go of a lot of pot cap gain.

There is no one who is forecasting that prop prices will go in reverse this year. There might be those who think that they might slow down. So in absence of that, it is even more risky to jump the boat this early and lose future cap growth.

Last edited: 22nd Mar, 2021
  15. longtimelurker99

longtimelurker99 Well-Known Member

Half my circle are now able to work remotely FT and are looking at NZ, US or rural moves.
    The other half are just as hell bent on a city buy

Will be interesting to see what happens when borders open, IR increases and immigration flows again. Crazy times

Stoffo likes this.
  16. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

Sold PPOR (settlement was 3 weeks ago) and reduced debt by 75%.

Property portfolio is now cashflow positive to the tune of $50,000 pa

SAlad, Ketsle, oracle and 5 others like this.
  17. Harris

Harris Well-Known Member

congrats on the sale.
    Given it was your PPOR, did you buy a new place or just planning to retire on your super yacht? :D

kierank likes this.
  18. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

Our Super doesn’t own a yacht, only shares :p.

We have downsized in our unit on the GC which we bought 5 years ago. Its value has boomed since then, especially the last 6 to 12 months.

Sackie and Harris like this.
  19. BB5

BB5 Well-Known Member

Probably also depends on which market you are in. If the suburb/street is now under water you probably wish you had sold last month.

People will be returning to offices, will this take sting out of places like sunshine coast.

20. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Crickets from me. Didnt do the maths. Just shot from the hip. :rolleyes:

Harris likes this.