This place sold without styling and decorating….

Discussion in 'Styling & Decorating' started by Gockie, 2nd May, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

2. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Probably around land value only though, big block by the look of the frontage

That's pretty clean compared to some I've cleared out, I could see the floor in places !
    Last one I did you could smell from two houses away, after 2 weeks of pest extermination we were finding a rat every few minutes and the bugs were still everywhere.......
    Still, found thousands also

3. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Easy fix - bulldozer straight thru it (checking for asbestos first, of course) - and loaded onto the back of several tipper trucks.

One does have to wonder how people get into this situation in the first place

4. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

As it was a deceased inheritance by a charity they will sell it for the max possible price for the least possible cost. I imagine their real estate advice was to sell as-is. Its a developer site. The land size makes it a ideal new build site. If the site had been cleared etc it may have attracted GST as a major cost ($163,000). Sale of vacant land is a taxable supply when sold by a charity. Selling existing residential real estate isnt subject to GST. Leaving those possessions is a clever tax strategy.

A developer would likely consider the demo costs and the contents would be no harder to dispose of vs a vacated house. It all goes into the same truck. It could be cleared in one day subject to any asbestos issues. Maybe 2-3 days.

Smart buyer may also have taken a punt on the lucky dip value of the contents. There is probably $10K +++ of collectable and antique style items in the house to be sold. Maybe even more and this could offset the cost of the demo.

Last edited: 3rd May, 2021
    Lizzie, wylie, Gockie and 1 other person like this.
  5. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I think the video walk through was fairly disrespectful of the person who donated the house. I know the agent is not the charity, and it is his video, but I found it quite distasteful.

Hoarding is a mental health issue and hardly an issue to mock.

Lizzie, Firefly99, spludgey and 3 others like this.
  6. skater

skater Well-Known Member

I was thinking this. A friend of mine used to work for a company that cleans up homes. Usually deceased estates, and some of them were aweful. She said that the company would get paid a set amount to clear it, and they used to just get some big burly blokes in who would toss everything into a skip bin.....until he met my friend. Her job was to kind of supervise & retrieve things that were saleable. She was allowed to keep a certain amount for herself, but the really valuable stuff she would send to auction & the boss would then give her half the proceeds.

Gockie likes this.
  7. bmc

bmc Well-Known Member

agreed, I cant understand the purpose of the video.

8. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I've had to evict a hoarder. Cleaning out his stuff (and keeping it all for him) was the worst, dirtiest job I've ever done. It was worse than this house - perhaps only because it was a small unit with less space for stuff. You had to walk a narrow passageway through piles of stuff just to go to the bathroom or kitchen.

Upside - before and after were so incredibly different. Though I didn't take before pictures, they were too disgusting.

I now work with a guy with similar issues, But not quite as bad It's not pleasant spending time in his place, but it has to be done.

9. Firefly99

Firefly99 Well-Known Member

Exactly. Someone donated their house to charity only to be mocked posthumously. The beneficiary could have at least paid someone to clear out the house. Or not have photos of the inside of house online.

Dave Radelaide likes this.
  10. Alex Deepak Kumar

Alex Deepak Kumar Member

In the same suburb, do you know why a property next to water like this was sold for so cheap?

11. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

12. Alex Deepak Kumar

Alex Deepak Kumar Member