Theres a car blocking my driveway for over 24 hours and i cant go out. any suggestions. police say

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by justine77, 22nd Jul, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Probably all sorted out by now.

2. fols

fols Well-Known Member

I hope so. Delete thread. Move on.

So, is Brisbane gunna boom or what?

ashish1137 and Sackie like this.
  3. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

Seriously. If you broke the window. Took off handbrake and pushed it.

Are you legally breaking the law?
    Its not your property but it's on your land.
    What happens if you had a emergecny

wylie likes this.
  4. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

She lives in the city; so she could call an ambulance, or get a taxi or uber.

5. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I wouldn't be touching a car, or moving it. You are putting yourself at risk IMO.

I cannot understand why police or council cannot make the decision (they have good insurance) to have it towed?

If it was parked across the driveway at a council depot, I reckon it would be long gone.

6. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Lots of 'keyboard warriors' on this forum, making suggestions they would never attempt themselves!

Council's will tow a vehicle in this situation - but it sounds like the OP hasn't reported it to them. Towing costs would be covered by the release fee.

Last edited: 23rd Jul, 2017
    sanj likes this.
  7. wylie

We once had a car left outside an IP. Council wouldn't tow it until we reported it as an abandoned vehicle, and the appropriate notice was placed on the windscreen. Then a second notice needed to be put on and more time spent waiting.

Then they acted on it.

But in this case, when someone cannot access their own driveway, surely council has some rules and can step in earlier?

8. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

Exactly. Councils typically have an out of hours contact number and a tow company on retainer for clearing cars from driveways and clearways

JacM, Phantom and Joynz like this.
  9. wylie

I just re-read the original post. Sounds like the police were called. A friend recently was overseas and their own car was reported as abandoned. It was unregistered and shouldn't have been on the road and I'm sure a neighbour (who'd asked if they'd move it several times) took the opportunity of them being away for nearly two months to take action.

I sent them the notice details and they called the local police, who said not to worry. However, I called council and was told the second notice was about to go on. It would be towed before they got back into Australia.

I let them know this, and they called council, claimed it as their own vehicle, and the process was halted until they got home.

So, definitely council is the one needing to be contacted, not the police.

sanj and Joynz like this.
  10. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

In Melbourne (where I believe the OP lives) Councils will tow a driveway-blocking car pretty quickly. But they can only do so if someone contacts them!

Obviously, if it's just left parked on the street outside the house (I.e. abandoned but not blocking), you need to go down the 'abandoned car and sticker' route - because this would not be considered urgent.

wylie and Phantom like this.
  11. Phantom

Phantom Well-Known Member

I've had my car almost towed away because I was 10min late returning to it and the clearway time had started (3pm Sydney). He was putting the winch hook on when I showed up. He was nice enough to release my car after I pleaded with him to let me go. Still got the fine though. Unless they have special rules for clearways, I don't see why cars parked in or blocking access to private property can't be towed away and stored until the owner decides to retreive it. The owner should pay towing and storage.

wylie likes this.
  12. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Exactly.

It is usual for cars blocking access to driveways to be towed by the relevant authority to maintain access.

The OP just has to inform the correct authority - in this case, the Council ( as I'm certain the Police would have advised!)

Phantom likes this.
  13. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

This all sounds very complicated.

Remove the plates, and then, once the value of the vehicle is assessed, call a wrecker and offer it to them for a very "reasonable" price if they'd like to come and pick it up.

And make sure, if necessary, that you are extremely disappointed and upset that the owner, who you recently purchased it from, hasn't yet transferred the registration.

14. Skydome

Skydome Well-Known Member

In the city ambos will take ezz 30 mins to arrive.

Taxi is a similar deal and you'll get some **** cabby who doesn't know where to go and how to get there FAST

Uber is the only real alternative here unless waiting for halfa for ambos is needed.

15. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Well since the OP has been posting on another thread tonight (about cheap car insurance), I'm picking everything worked out fine.

16. JacM

JacM VIC Buyer's Agent - Melbourne, Geelong, Ballarat Business Member

Many things are against the law (eg parking across a driveway) but the fact remains that due to resourcing pressures, calls to the police are actioned in order of priority. Some matters never make it to the top of the list. For this reaso, some laws are difficult to enforce. (I would imagine trying to stop people from flying drones near other people falls into this category.) As the others have said, council is your go-to on this issue of cars parked across your driveway.

17. Eugene82

Eugene82 Well-Known Member

I had someone park across my driveway blocking me in. Called the council and they came to write a fine, but said it needs to be over 24hrs for them to move it. Very inconvenient, but doesn't look like there's a quick legal solution to this one.

18. bdizzle

bdizzle Member

the balcony, lmaoo.....