The strata company will really ask the vendor to terminate tenants' contract who have a pet

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by paper, 24th Jun, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. paper

paper Well-Known Member

Before purchased this unit, I was told by the agent it allowed to have a small pet in (like a cat, under 5kg dog).

Due this agent's company was the strata company for this unit, I was assumed it should be ok for the tenant to keep a small pet.

Now I find out the strata does not allow to have a pet in.

My question is if the tenant kept a pet in, the strata will tell me to terminate tenants' contract as my property manager seems to have no issues for the tenant to have a pet indoors.

2. beachgurl

beachgurl Well-Known Member

If there is a no pets rule in the bylaws then the strata can force the tenant to remove the animal. So yes, they can force someone to leave.

I lived in a no pets complex and I knew of a few neighbours who had dogs. A new executive was appointed and they decided to send letters to all residents with animals, giving them a certain timeframe to remove them. A few years later after the executive changed again it was removed from the bylaws.

When's the next AGM? It may be worth you going to see if the current owners are happy with the bylaw.

3. paper

paper Well-Known Member

There is a grey area from the strata report. It is pointed out if the tenants received a letter from the strata, they have to remove their pets out of the unit. It does not mention no pets rule from the report. However the strata company clarifies that there is no pets rule for this unit. :(

4. Pistonbroke

Pistonbroke Well-Known Member

Is it in the by-laws? You should have been issued a copy when it was leased.

5. Cadbury99

Cadbury99 Well-Known Member

Ask for a copy of the rules from the strata company then you will be able to read exactly what it says.

What does your lease agreement with tenant say; does it specifically say pets are allowed, if it does then talk to your property manager on how best to handle this, especially if the tenant is actually keeping a pet. If it does not then get the PM to inform the tenant about the strata rules.
    Also remember there is a difference between rules and enforcement of them. It may be the case that nobody enforces the rule if the pet causes no problems.

6. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

As above
    Read the by-laws. Are there specific no-pets rules?
    you might also be able to put a request through for approval in the Committee, usually with conditions (e.g. clean up, noise, other disturbances, training, etc)

7. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

They can if they want too, you are personally responsible for your tenant, so you need to make sure they comply if you know the BC will act or requires action, you will personally have to foot the costs too.

If they have not made a decision to act, then you need to make sur e the animal never walks or poops etc on common property & does not interfere in any way of others, such as making a noise.

8. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

Wait I don't get it. When you bought the place it allowed pets, but a new strata company came in and changed the rules? Can they do that without consulting the owners first? Have I misread the OP?

9. dabbler

You have mis read, that is not how it would happen.

The OP has run on assumptions, as many do.

10. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

And not bothered to document something said by the agent i
    and not bothered to have something they relied upon that the selling agent asserted in writing.

Lesson to be learnt.

11. dabbler

Buyers must check things like this or have a solicitor or other do it for them, the agent is working to sell the place, they are not there to advise on strata laws or specific by laws from the OC. They may have only indicated that the OC cannot be unreasonable, who knows, and it is matters not either way.

Not to worry, in my very limited experience, the larger chunk seem to have *NO* clue when it comes to strata living and laws at all.

I would suggest the OP work directly with the executive straight away & if they are intent on making things hard, remove the pet or the tenant and place one without a pet.