SA The state of Adelaide - no power

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by dabbler, 28th Sep, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. ollidrac nosaj

ollidrac nosaj Well-Known Member

More renewable infrustructure on the way in SA:

South Australian power utility Electranet to spend $150m on new power line to OZ Minerals

"The power line will also connect to a solar generation project being built by Adelaide company SolarReserve.

OZ is also assessing the potential to build solar generation and battery storage facilities at Prominent Hill, but has not settled on a final model.

"The new transmission line will enhance security of power supply, reduce line losses and enable the execution of the Prominent Hill mine plan"

Read more: South Australian power utility Electranet to spend $150m on new power line to OZ Minerals
    Follow us: @FinancialReview on Twitter | financialreview on Facebook

LibGS and ADLInvestor like this.
  2. Nadine Cross

Nadine Cross Well-Known Member

its irrelevant...the temps wont change enough - if at all - to make the whole ETS worth the cost and the effort.
    China is building something like 500 coal fired power stations as we speak; to add to whatever they already have currently.

3. Nadine Cross

Not ignored..you said we need to do our bit...be 'Lifters, not leaners".
    My response was to point out that actually; we dont; because it is a futile endeavour as per the figures I quoted - as backed up by Alan Finkel....a highly respected Australian scientist.
    To me; a Politician 'Lifter" doesn't expose his residents to the highest electricity prices on the planet in the belief that one day in tje future they will be cheaper and cleaner, and proposes to make the prices go even higher in the near future with a higher renewables target...thats not much comfort to those who live there currently and need to put food on the table.

SMTY likes this.
  4. Nadine Cross

Im all for developing superior technologies and systems that save us all money and improve our lives, maybe be better for the environment, etc.
    But this can be done at the same time as providing cheap electricity - develop the new technology while still using the existing cheaper techology (coal) which has an abundant supply for hundreds of years.
    Then implement the superior technology to replace the existing supply systems down the track when the cost viability of the newer technology improves to the point where it is cheaper.
    But we havent done that...we have thrown the baby out with the bathwater with this obsession with shutting down coal uneccessarily in the interim, and citizens are hurting in their pockets.
    By the way; I seriously doubt that renewables will pave the way for cheaper electricity in the future. If the Governemt is involved, the price wont ever go down, and if they remove themselves completely and remove the subsidies they provide, it will go up further.

5. LibGS

LibGS Well-Known Member

Projects like this shows who actually cares about the future of the planet and our children to come. Good stuff.

6. Illusivedreams

Illusivedreams Well-Known Member

In my experience the green movement is actually aggressive.

The opinion can not be changed nore. Does it Need To be.

The whole of Australian continent is absolutely irrelevant to the world. Some want to lead.

Like i said renewables will come. They just didn't have to **** the citizens to get them in and. Make them pay through their noses.

Nadine Cross likes this.
  7. LibGS

LibGS Well-Known Member

Can you explain your meaning of aggressive?

People who are causing climate change, the people who deliberately try to obfuscate the science and dangers of climate change, and people who are climate change deniers are not aggressive? (technically this is an invalid argument under the formal laws of logic, but I'll forgive myself and not make a complaint)

But people who want to preserve the livability of the planet (for humans), people who really care about the future of their children they are aggressive?

You're kidding right? You are trying to prove some point?

Ian87 and ollidrac nosaj like this.
  8. gman65

gman65 Well-Known Member

Wow, coal is dying worldwide and being replaced by renewables faster than anybody imagined... you sound a bit worried about daily costs, maybe consider how you can embrace the future rather than worrying about it?

ollidrac nosaj likes this.
  9. Nadine Cross

between India and China alone there are currently approx 700 coal fired power stations under construction....to add to what they already have in operation.
    And the USA Administration has just recently ended "the war on coal", with their plan to bring back their jobs in the coral industry, fully endorsed by their EPA head - Scott Pruitt, and now that they have pulled out of the Paris Accord; I would say that coal isn't dead...it is definitely being hampered by various Governments who are very much in favour of imposing more restrictions and obstacles on the industry, as well as providing subsidies to the renewable industry...if they removed both the obstacles for coal, and the subsidies for renewables, and let the free market decide their fates; a huge amount of investment would start to flow back into coal.
    Not only are we in Australia costing everyone - businesses and families alike - huge amounts of the weekly paycheck, but we are costing Australia an enormous number of jobs too...all for zero change to the temperature.

Alain and SMTY like this.
  10. Nadine Cross

Its not Climate Change by the way; the proper term is Global Warming. The behaviour of weather and climate has not changed since the beginning of the industrial revolution...all indicators such as hurricane activity, tornadoes, rain falls, heat spells, cold snaps and so on - are pretty much normal cycles and levels.
    Regarding Global Warming though; as one example; in the last 20 years, world temps have not risen; yet coal fired power plants have increased enormously in developing Countries. The output of emissions from coal fired power plants (largely harmless CO2) have only increased. How do the arguments for human caused Global Warming have any validity? Just this current Northern Hemisphere winter; there have been record breaking and record equalling numerous instances of cold temperatures, sea ice, snow falls, etc...some records dating back well over 100 years ago - yet the number of coal fired power stations back then would have been a tiny percentage of what we now have.

actually the reverse; I have no doubt that humans cannot affect - and have not affected - the Climate or the Temperature at all. Not one of Al Gore's 10 year predictions (or anyone else's) for the Planet has come even remotely close to fruition 10 years on.
    But; I am all for developing other forms of technology for producing electricity - nuclear is an obvious one - it seems to me that the people who are really worried about the (temperature) future are the Global Warming supporters.

Oscar13 and SMTY like this.
  11. ollidrac nosaj

Wrong! And an outright lie. The mindset and philosophy you are espousing is what will cost jobs.

Business/governments and industry are seeking and implementing ESG criteria into there business model. Not because its the "green" thing to do but because of market demand and more importantly competitive advantage.

The example of OZ minerals and whyalla steel implementing renewable energy is not because of the feel good vibe of protecting the enviorment. (The enviormental benefit is just a byproduct). It is to gain competitive advantage, expand business and drive profit. Thus create jobs, and in the case of Sundrop even create jobs and industry where without green tec this was not previously feasible.

You can choose to Ignore ESG factors at the cost of the enviorment, future job growth, standard of living and even your hip pocket, but i choose to embrace and take full advantage:

Toon and Angel like this.
  12. Nadine Cross

I recommend you go for a visit to Morwell and see how that town is currently faring- if you believe I am lieing.
    As I said earlier; I don't have a problem with renewable technologies being developed, but I do have a problem with them replacing existing methods at the moment - resulting in far higher costs to consumers, enormous loss of jobs, homes and often times families disintegrating, and my biggest problem is because of the agenda behind it all...to try and curb temperature rises.

13. ollidrac nosaj

Firstly my apologies, the accusation of lying was rude and unwarranted on my behalf.

My heart goes out, and i know first hand how the death of an industry feels on a community. (I live 5 mins from and own property around the Holden plant Elizabeth). I was retrenched from the industry, and to regain employmnt i now travel 550km to work.

In the car industry i was involved in the union movement as a delegate, i helped campaign to save jobs and i take job loses and the impact on community very personal.

There are some great resources/infrustructure already in Morwell/latrobe valley that will be used and leveraged off to great effect. It may not seem like it now, but Morwell will push on and will even prosper without coal. This is a start:

Renewables hub, or coal museum? Australia’s energy debate plays out in Latrobe Valley

"But another group has some different plans for the site; plans that would not seek to enshrine it in the energy past, but to take it into the energy future – plans that will now have to negotiate a Heritage Listing.

These plans, put forward by an un-named private entity, propose to repurpose the site and integrate a large renewable energy and storage demonstration project.

Local solar and storage company Gippsland Solar has been working alongside that “entity” on developing those plans, which would tip more than $100 million into the local community and create hundreds of jobs. Many of them ongoing."

Nadine Cross likes this.
  14. Nadine Cross

Lets hope that something occurs there which will save this dying town/region.
    But; even if renewable industry businesses start up there, and jobs come back; can you honestly say that the cost of electricity will go back down to more realistic world equivalent levels?
    From my experience, once a Government gets its claws into a significant income stream; it won't let it go.
    Mal Turnbull was crowing about a 50c per week saving per household like some sort of moment from heaven...it will be phased in over 10 years...if that is the Government's idea of cheaper electricity we are in big trouble.

15. ollidrac nosaj

Lol, i won't comment on Turnbull, if i start on fed politics this thread will turn into a real **** show. :D

Ultimately only one thing will drive price down and that is competition.

Nadine Cross likes this.
  16. Illusivedreams

Illusivedreams Well-Known Member

But how can you compete when your. Competition is subsidised by the tax payer.

All sectors have some government subsidies but uptake of roof top solar like i have and most renewable projects are in existence mainly through government subsidies.

Nadine Cross likes this.
  17. hieund85

hieund85 Well-Known Member

Coal also has been subsidised. It is just in a difference form.

ollidrac nosaj likes this.
  18. ollidrac nosaj

My reference was to more competition by increase of wholesalers, rather than one type of generation v another.

Very much so and most Australians are oblivious to how much by, and what industries. Most would be surprised.

19. Nadine Cross

sadly, at the moment; there is only competition between renewables and coal, and the Goverment has their thumb firmly on the scales in favour of renewables...hardly a fair playing field.....and I wouldn't care if we citizens were benefitting from the rort, but we are not.

20. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

WTF??? Which century are you living in