Sports & Fitness The Running Thread (All Abilities)

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Propagate, 28th Jun, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Propagate

Propagate Well-Known Member

Getting the hang of this Running Streak thing. 58 Days Straight now. I've backed off to 5k a day minimum instead of 10, it just takes up too much tome otherwise plus 10 is a bit of an ask if I've had some big runs prior.

Went out last Saturday and ran Two Bays trail for the first time this year, took 20 minutes off my best previous time and finished feeling great! I was stoked. 30k of trail with 750m total ascent and came in at 2:59, stoked as a sub 3 hour was always a stretch goal.

Got some new runners, trying Hoka out. Wanted something for mixed surface, concrete and light trail, got some Challenger ATR 5's, have to say fantastic. Did a 34k run from home to my favorite cafe on Saturday, 34k with 350 meter vertical, 30% road 70% dirt back roads an absolutely smashed my previous PR's. Came in at 2:47 for the 34k and within that was a new HM PR of 1:40 and and a new 30k PR of 2:25, could not believe it. Last time I did it was from our old house which is a bit closer at 30k and did it bang on the 3 hours, so that's a heck of an improvement in about 12-14 months.

Easy week this week, back to the low HR stuff but going to try a week of sub 145 outdoor rather than 150, see if I can continue to bring the easy cruise pace up a bit more.

Anyone else getting out? Feels like Spring is in the air a bit, looking forward to some nice weather runs!

Starbright and paulF like this.
  2. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

Good stuff @Propagate , that's some miles you are putting in!

I'm back to doing my usual every second day 8km but my lower abs pain is not completely healed. It turned out to be a Groin strain after all.

Took another few days off this week and was on anti inflammatory for a few days which seems to have helped the injury really well. It's still there but he pain is a lot duller.
    I also been back to doing more core and glutes specific training on my rest days like planks, glute bridge, clamps and so on which seem to be helping a lot too.

Feels great to be running again under more light and moderate temperatures. Bring on Spring!

Propagate likes this.
  3. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

I have been getting in just one or two runs a week and one or two rides on a trainer. Just got a treadmill so looking to ramp things up to be doing cardio 6 days a week, trying to get in the habit working around life currently rather than working on anything specific. Once I get my regular workouts going well I will look to do some specific training related to an event that takes my fancy at the time, I am currently considering the UTA50 next year, not sure if I can commit to such a long event, might look for a half marathon or marathon depending on what works out with timing and training. Never been big on doing events as such, which has probably been a mistake as once signed up it has always been much easier to keep on track with training etc than make excuses.

I've done one marathon @ 4hrs 20mins (one of my first running events, was horrible!)
    Best half marathon @ 1hr 50mins (only HM under event conditions)

So I would like to improve if I decide on either of those.

How is everyone else going with their progress?

paulF and Propagate like this.
  4. Propagate

Good stuff @Hodor hope you take to your treadmill, I've become totally addicted to mine, Such a great way to get the K's in if you're time crunched or the weathers ordinary. My fitness has come on massively since I ramped up my TM work. People often say TM's are "easier", I found it the other way around. Pace for pace I find the indoor runs feel harder, the upside being the outdoor runs feel like they are getting easier and easier (and they are definitely getting faster!).

Each to their own with the events, I love the idea of them but I don't really enjoy them (I don't think). A hangover from the MTB races I guess, I get too anxious. For some though an event on the horizon is a great motivator. I've always been quite lucky in that I'm fairly self-motivating. I do need a goal to keep me interested, but they can (and usually are) personal ones, like a set distance on one run by such a month, or 10k a day for a month, that type of stuff. MTA looks awesome though, there are some cracking events around for sure.

I did want to do the Surf Coast Century (2 weeks time) as my first crack at a 100ker but I'm still struggling with my toes, 35k ish is about my limit before it's too painful just now Shame as I'm n the shape of my life and would love a crack at a 100. I'll just keep slowly building the base and pushing the long runs out, I want to do a 100 and still be able to run within a few weeks after (not like Falls Creek last year where I couldn't walk afterward for a solid week! then several months before I was properly running again).

marty998 and paulF like this.
  5. ChrisP73

ChrisP73 Well-Known Member

marty998, Ko Ko Naing and Hodor like this.
  6. ChrisP73

ChrisP73 Well-Known Member

marty998 and paulF like this.
  7. marty998

marty998 Well-Known Member

Little embarrassed that I was stuffing myself with pizza while cheering him on :oops:

8 and a half consecutive 14:12 5k's. 65 years after the 4 minute mile was broken they are still talking about it. I'll bet in 2084 they'll still be talking about this run.

For what it's worth the Australian Parkrun 5k record is 14:22...

ChrisP73 likes this.
  8. Propagate

Absolutely amazing. I watched the last 40 minutes live on Youtube, unbelievable. I wonder if we'll see a sub 2 hour in our lifetimes in an actual marathon now that the barrier has broken. Would have been incredible to watch it in the flesh, they look like the're just out for a Sunday morning jog on TV, they must have been absolutely flying past at that pace though.

ChrisP73 likes this.
  9. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

ive been absent for a while

Has anyone signed up for UTA?
    I was silly enough to go for the 50!

Did 12km run to work 1:10min with some slow sections meeting the local running tribe. but happy as its the longest run for a 3-4weeks.
    Now i need to start working out a plan to get me to finish the 50km with the sun still out. with no previous experience to the race im aiming for <8hrs at this stage until i can improve my endurance and get some longer runs under my belt.

paulF, Propagate and Hodor like this.
  10. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

You think you're silly? I was too slow and the 50km sold out, only one thing for it, signed up for the 100! :confused: I've done one marathon in my life and that was some time ago. If you are silly ...

So to answer your question 1800 people signed up for UTA50. I know at least one friend that signed up for the 50.

Anyway the need for training has gotten very serious, no more just lace up the shoes and run a bit here or there. It is planned runs with a structured approach to build strength, endurance and speed (less effort at given speed and less time on the feet). Never felt so motivated with my running and really enjoying it strangely enough, thought it could just become like a chore. Recovery and maintenance to stay injury free has also become a priority as the increased running volume has created some niggles, yoga and stretching have been amazing never really had the need before. Only just over a month into proper training and already seeing marked improvement which is encouraging, if I can stay injury free I should have a time and not DNF next to my name.

I am about 2.5 hours drive away so it'll be a challenge to get on course experience which is a little disappointing, 5 hours return plus jog time isn't manageable. Noticed you live up that way which can only help.

How are you approaching your training?

11. Propagate

Good work @bob shovel and @Hodor - I've signed up for The Archie 50k in February, the baby version of Oscars Hut to Hut in the Vic High Country, looks pretty full on, I think I'm looking forward to it.

I've just finished a 100 day run streak, ran every day for 10 days and clocked up 973k. Going to start mixing it up a bit now, dusted the bike off and I'm off to ride the Goldfields Trail 3rd weekend in November, 3 days/2 nghts and just shy of 200k from memory, mainly off road MTB trail pretty much. Did it 3 years ago and loved it, been wanting to do it again since.

I want to get back into the long distance gravel rides, so will wind off the running a little to try and keep a decent level of both runs and rides. Once the goldfields trip is done I'll look at how to structure some running training to get set for The Archie, I'll be following you guys with interest to see how you ramp it up for UTA. That'll be awesome!

bob shovel, Starbright and Hodor like this.
  12. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

@bob shovel

Been looking for some warm up events. This one looks good. Priced well, 3hr and 6hr options to test you on trails. Just waiting for entries to open. On 26th of Jan so that's one draw back for some. Get to hit the wall and run through it which is the experience needed I believe.

Running Wild | Knapsack Lap Race – Race 2 Long Course Series

Been looking for something about 2 months out around 50k on trails, still no luck. Might end up making up my own run, although nothing beats a race for prep I've been told.

13. bob shovel

Lol... training plan ... I'm quietly panicking atm

I'm still knew till the running world so I'll look to start off with more runs and low km to build up. I usually ride to work so I'll start by rubbing to/ from station etc more often to get km up.
    Also set up mona fartlek which is a short time so I can duck out of the house for a quick run.
    I have been running with local blue mountains marathon clinic and there is a wealth of knowledge there so I plan to run more with them and pick their brains

I'm at the bottom of the hill but enough that the run home from work is 9.5km with 250m elevation.
    I did the lawson running wild that just passed. First proper timed run 9km +260m I was aiming for <1hr .... got 59.30 :cool:

The knapsack run was 45 degrees last year! I took the kids into the trail kids 1km and 3km they were buggered to say the least
    I'm keen to enter though, solo 6hr would be a good intro.
    There's also the narrabean all nighter in Jan

@Hodor you could do some runs around the lower mountains to save a drive? Oaks fire trail is 30km just run up it then catch the train back down;)

Hodor and Propagate like this.
  14. bob shovel

this is my backyard and im keen to enter next year.

Im also campaiging to open an old railway tunnel - Glenbrook tunnel . www.facebook.com/glenbrooktunnel
    Getting there slowly but also great as im now talking with the mayor and id like to improve running and cyling tracks in the mountains - i am keen to have bike tracks improved bt also included runners in the discussion

Propagate likes this.
  15. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

Hey Guys,

Does anybody know of a watch which can beep at set intervals so you can hear it while running?
    Such as:
    15s, 30s, 45s, 60s.
    20s, for 16 times.
    Or even 15s, 15s, 15s, 15s, 17s, 17s, 18s, 18s.

Is there such a thing?
    Want to use it for track training

Thanks

16. Propagate

17. Propagate

I'm only guessing that it'll beep. I use a Garmin Fenix 5, I haven't used it for intervals as such but I have set heart rate zones on it before and it beeps a different noise if you go over or under your target zones so you can stay in range without watch watching.

18. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

thank @Propagate but I really don't need any features apart from the beeping at certain timed sections, so they seem a bit of an overkill for what I need.
    I think I can get a wearable GymBoss or similar which are very cheap, although I would prefer a watch with minimal functions if available.
    Even if I can only use multiples of the same times, such as 8 x 15s, 16 x 20s, that would be fine.

19. Propagate

I'm guessing you don't want to run with an iPhone? I use my iPhone on a Quad lock arm band for Fartleks with a Fartlek timer app, works great but might be bulky for out and out short sprint work @Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole likes this.