Sports & Fitness The Running Thread (All Abilities)

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Propagate, 28th Jun, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

Hope everyone's running still going good.

Anyone been through a pinched nerve before?

Last Wednesday felt a kind of tingling and burning sensation on top of the right foot when i putting my training shoes on and thought i was bitten by something but realised it's no bite after a few hours.
    Not too painful but can feel it all the time especially when i lie down at night. Much better after a few days of rest but my foot still feels weird around the toes.
    It's like there is pressure all around it with every step but there is no swelling or redness.

2. Propagate

Propagate Well-Known Member

How's the foot @paulF ? Sounds very similar to what I've been going through with mine, it's gotten heaps better but still issues with my big toe. Feels like a burning hot knife being rammed into the nail bed on an evening. From what I've read, it could be a pinched nerve from my back issues manifesting in the toes, which kind of makes sense as my back has felt much better since my toes been cactus. Haven't been to the quack yet as it's bearable now but if it flares again I'll go get checked out. Did you see anyone about yours or has it come good?

Running has stalled again, jst going through the motions at the moment, No motivation at all. Had 3 decent 10k's the week before last, started feeling good again then copped a bit of a cold.

Had a nice trail run from Cape Schanck to Gunamatta beach on Sunday, the opposite direction to where the hordes go so empty trail, sandy, undulating, stunning scenery and weather. Really enjoyed it but still had a bit of a cold so would up with a stinking headache by the end, plus I fell over twice! Lucky not to roll straight off the cliff edge, few cuts and bruises on my elbows from rolling into the thick dead shrubbery.

Still, a bit of sun and a new trail did wonders for the head and soul. Few pics below.

Slow-motion Sand Dunes - Numbnuts on Instagram: “Super #slomo Sunday Social #trailrun”

Deserted Beach - Numbnuts on Instagram: “#trailrun”

Random shots of my mate and I - Numbnuts on Instagram: “#trailrun”

Coastline to Gunamatta (click to the second pic) - Numbnuts on Instagram: “#trailrun”

3. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

Still a very good effort doing all those runs @Propagate so well done on that.
    That trail run looks amazing, wish i had anything similar close to my place.

As usual, don't rely on motivation, just get out there and turn it into a habit again but make sure you are feeling physically good while at it and if not feeling too well, just do shorter mileage.

Key point is to get out there and the rest will come together nicely.

Foot is pretty much fixed, lots of massage , rest and slowly going back to it did the trick. It was caused due to wearing tight walking shoes and a super tight calf.

Propagate likes this.
  4. marty998

marty998 Well-Known Member

This is motivating. My best times are 2 and 4 minutes behind yours (22:45 and 48:54 for 5k and 10k). My half is a relatively pedestrian 1:57:04 in comparison so looks like I have work to do there haha.

The Sydney 10 is my next event, followed by the Western Sydney Marathon. Hopefully some more PBs in the works (well def the marathon, being my first one :))

Not quite at the point of doing specific training... still at the stage of trying to do a lot of miles just to get the base fitness up. Perhaps next year that will help as all of my easy "noob" gains are largely used up now.

paulF and Propagate like this.
  5. Propagate

Good work @marty998 they're respectable times for a noob indeed. My mate (granted late 40's) who started running with me but has been more consistent and logged more K's has yet to go sub 50 for a 10k and we've been running for almost 2.5 years now.

6. marty998

When I started parkrun about 2.5 years ago my 5 & 10km times were about 26:30 and 60:00

So yeah, still bringing it down in chunks. I just wonder how motivating it is to strive for 1 or 2 seconds rather than 1 or 2 minutes.

Elite sprint athletes must have been dropped on their heads at birth. Imagine striving for years, if not decades trying to find fractions of a second improvements.

Stuff of nightmares lol.

7. RS Gumby

RS Gumby Well-Known Member

Just remember to enjoy your running Guys, the times won't matter when you get to be an old man like me!!

8. Propagate

Yeah, amazing how you make initial gains in any type of fitness relatively quickly, until you plateau then you have to work exponentially harder for minute gains.

Have a watch of the Breaking 2 Nike documentary (it was on you tube) about Eilliod Kipchoge's attempt with Nike to break the 2 hour marathon barrier, talk about looking for every fraction of a second increase in performance in every possible aspect then to watch him try and pull it off, fascinating.

9. Propagate

Absolutely mate!

10. marty998

Yep I saw that one.... in the end he got within a minute no?

But when you’re already doing 14:34 5k’s repeated 8 and a half times back to back, finding 1 second per km is stretching the band of human capacity beyond limit. Extraordinary stuff.

11. Propagate

Yeah, crazy. Think he got within seconds of it.... yep, just checked. 2 hours and 25 seconds. Unbelievable.

Just checked the 5k word records, he's not far off the womens 5k world record, over and over for the length of a marathon.

"The official world records in the 5000 metres are held by Kenenisa Bekele with 12:37.35 minutes for men and Tirunesh Dibaba with 14:11.15 minutes for women"

marty998 likes this.
  12. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

I learnt the hard, and slightly embarrassing way about "rest days" :D

I have started running home from work 9km 200m elev. I mixed it up and green to work, downhill way and as I thought it would be easier I did the stairs - about 6 x 100 steps.
    The last 1 km I had to walk to work.
    Prior to this I wanted to do a morning run with a local group and thought I'd be right :D walking down to meet them I knew I wad info trouble, they do 9km at about 5min Mark. After 2km I had to say bye and I continued to barely make it down the hill walking :oops:

Problem is my knee is still sore, 6 days ago.
    I haven't run yet but just doing squats and walking

Anything else recommended for knee strength??
    3-Minute Mountain Legs | Trail Runner Magazine

I'm doing uta11 in may and there's 951 steps at the end so ill need both knees working :cool:

13. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

Other than strengthening the muscles around the knees, losing weight is probably the best thing runners can do for their knees. From memory , we put up to 8 times our weight of force on our knees when running so the less we weigh the better it is for running longevity.

Are you sure it's knee pain and not IT band issues ?

bob shovel likes this.
  14. bob shovel

It could be it band. I've lost 5 kg since I started running. Could go leaner but that will come with more running
    When running the pain was on the outside of both knees but now a few days after it is still sore inside my right knee.

paulF likes this.
  15. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

Well done on losing 5kgs. I'm sure that you notice the difference too when running.

As for the knees, try to rest or at least taper down the kms for a week or two. It really sounds just like a simple case of overuse and If that doesn't help, see a physio and don't risk it getting worse.

Lingering injuries are a runners worst enemy!

16. bob shovel

Went for a small run this morning. Started slow and fit to about 2km info and the pain was back. I think it's itb
    Any advice for stretches and strengthening??:oops:

17. marty998

I've heard that last km is a doozy. Even the top runners take up to 10 minutes to get up it.

bob shovel likes this.
  18. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

bob shovel likes this.
  19. bob shovel

They are having a special event. Exhibition event?? where top runners do
    the stairs only. Sprint course up the stairs! :eek:

Resting Is number one now. I might keep riding and throw the kettle bell for fitness.

That website looks great! Thanks There's so many varying sites out there! But rest and strength seem to be key

20. ChrisP73

ChrisP73 Well-Known Member

Hey all, not sure if this has come up before but check out Billy Yang on YouTube. Ultra runner and short film maker.

This is one of his best. About 25 mins from memory.

One the most famous 100 mile trail runs. Leadville.

Propagate likes this.