Sports & Fitness The Running Thread (All Abilities)

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Propagate, 28th Jun, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Propagate

Propagate Well-Known Member

TLDR - Bored, need a goal, signed up for the Alpine Challenge Trail Ultra 60k in November.

Sooooo...... I've been a bit stale in the running front just now, can;t seem to motivate to get the weekly k's in and as such my times and endurance are dropping fast. I'm now struggling to keep up with my "slow" mate on a local 5k loop! Much to my annoyance and his great amusement.

I've ramped up my cycling and MTB riding again though, wow, didn't realize how much quad strength and stamina I'd lost since swapping riding for running. It's taken 4 weeks to get any sort of cycling form back but I'm way off in terms of endurance. I have been enjoying the bike again for a change from the runs, but just not super excited by riding any more. I think it's been long enough between drinks to realize that I'm not that into it enough any more to commit the time to it that I need to get back up to the 100+ k adventure rides I really love.

My main riding mate had a big stack at the weekend, straight to hospital, 5 xrays, 2 full body CT scans and thankfully they ruled out spinal and neck injures. He did pull out out his shoulder though, so surgical consult on Monday to see what damage he's done to that and he also chipped his kneecap. He'll be fine but he'll be out of action for months.

That's kind of freed up my weekends again to run instead, I'm probably overthinking things but II enjoy the runs more than the rides lately and I don't think I can do both at a level I'd like, so I guess once has to give.

I think the lack of k's since my marathon stab last month has been down to lack of motivation to work toward something rather than just plain laziness. All last year I had the marathon goal in my mind which spurred my on to keep up the training and building the volumne, now that's gone I've been lacking a bit in direction.

So... the ultimate pie in the sky dream goal was to one day run a 100k Ultra, it was never a serious thought seeing as I couldn't run 1k when I started in January 2017, but having worked up to the 42k and not died I figured maybe it's a possibility?

Such a stretch goal needs a fair amount of forward planning and a LOT more base building. I liked the look of the Alpine Challenge 100k Ultra in Falls Creek, but it's far too soon at 34 weeks away and has a HUGE amount of climbing too.

No goal, however, is achieved by sitting on ones backside.... I have therefore signed up for the Alpine Challenge 60k with 2000 meters of vertical climbing for this November and roped in a team mate!

The entry fee has been paid, the accommodation is booked and a 30 week training plan concocted (thanks to the guys at "No Meat Athlete"), consisting of an initial 10 week base building plan aimed at people that have done half marathon distance and maybe a marathon, then a 20 week Ultra 50k plan which I'll tweak a little to tailor to 60k.

I'm mega excited, I used to get excited about the MTB racing but I was also always very anxious with it, I think due to the fact the MTB races were very much a "race", with this one though there's no anxiety, just excitement! Maybe due to it being a test against yourself rather that the stress of a true race in a race sense?

Anyway, I've also roped in two other mates that have ran a couple of trail half marathons with me and the're going to train up for the 36k event. We're all staying up in Falls Creek for the race weekend.

Should be a good incentive to train through winter and something to look forward to in Spring.

Can't wait.

A few easy k's tonight and tomorrow, a social trail run this weekend then proper training begins next week.

Anyone else up to anything interesting? Hope your're all still getting your k's in?

paulF and marty998 like this.
  2. Waldo

Waldo Well-Known Member

Wow some pretty serious runners here putting me to shame.

I'm hoping to do a 3 hour marathon probably next year. I'm trying to be greedy juggling running with cycling and gym. Means I only get 3 runs a week in; but hey its better than nothing right?

Been doing a local park run every saturday morning - its only 5km but its bringing out my competitive streak so obviously giving me something short term to aim for.

mrdobalina and Propagate like this.
  3. Propagate

3 hour is a pretty serious time, good luck! I've given the riding away again now that I have the Ultra goal in mind, riding was leaving me too flat to get anything out of my runs. I don't know how the triathletes do it but if I push at all on my bike for a decent ride in terms of speed and distance then I'm useless for a run the next day, reduced to a slow shuffle.

4. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

Good luck with the Ultra @Propagate , serious run that one!
    Keep us posted.
    Cheers

Propagate likes this.
  5. Propagate

Thanks @paulF I'm 50/50 mixture of daunted and excited!

Been adding hills & stair repeats into my training at the local quarry, my strength has increased exponentially since the hill work and that has a a big impact on my flat cruising speed.

Pleased with how my running is going at the moment. Put in a solid trail run effort yesterday in that foul weather we had in Vic, howling winds, rain and cold but I had the time of my life. Enjoyed the whole thing from start to finish, just cruising up through the creek trails for a sub 2 hour 20k run and pulled up great (albeit soaked to the skin) at the end.

I've ditched the Altra's in favor of some Salomons. I love the zero drop of the Altra and loved wore out a pair of Superior 3's which I really enjoyed. I liked the Superiors but they are quite minimal so my feet were getting a bit tired on the real long runs so I replaced them with the Lone Peak 3.5's this time which are still zero drop but a much thicker sole and my achilies don't like them at all. They feel nice to run in but my right achillies is pulling up really sore afterwards so I grabbed some Salmon Marin Trails with a 6mm drop to try and they seem to suit me well. I don't think I'm quite the fore foot runner I'd lead myself to believe.

So if anyone likes Altra's I've an almost new pair of Lone Peak 3.5's here with only a few dry k' runs on them going cheap if anyone is interested?

Hope everyone else is still logging some good k's? Anyone been anywhere interesting lately for a run?

paulF likes this.
  6. MudHoney

MudHoney Well-Known Member

Great to read your entire thread and see your progress @Propagate. I love a good run, but unfortunately recently discovered I have Osteo Arthritis in my hips so it limits the training for the big ones! I do still love to have a run every now and again, I feel for me personally I get the most satisfaction, of any exercise, from running. Have you or anyone on this thread heard of Maffetone training? I know in the past it did wonders for my times and endurance when I first started getting serious. There are those who doubt it from what I've read, but it did wonders for me.

Last edited: 16th Apr, 2018
  7. Propagate

Fair play to you reading through 16 pages @MudHoney :D

Bugger about the arthritis, that sucks.

Is Maffetone the chap that advocates very low HR base training? I have rad up a fair bit it sounded very interesting. I think Chris Mcdougall follows in in either Born to Run or Natural Born Heroes, can't remember which and said it worked very well.

I like the idea of it but lack the patience to commit to it as I have a naturally high working HR (and a very low resting one).

My resting HR sits in the low 40's most days but can dip to 36/37 now and again yet I can easily bounce off 190 in a sprint (my theoretical max should be 178 (220 minus your age). If I'm going out for a fast 10k I'm cruising at 176/178 to begin with.

To stay in the low zone for Maffetone i wouldn't be able to break from a brisk walk without leaving the zone.

My mate is the complete opposite, same age as me, very fit from cycling and only a recent convert to running (12 months ish). He's pushing out 20k trail runs with me now yet his HR never gets over 150 and his cruising HR is around 120, it's ridiculously low. Was the same when he raced crits, very low maxed out HR.

8. MudHoney

haha! "read through your entire thread" more like "read first few and last few pages and skimmed through every other page at pace!"

Propagate likes this.
  9. MudHoney

Maffetone is low HR base training, yes! That is a very low resting Heart Rate you have! I think you probably already have a great base by the looks! Genetically blessed?!

10. Propagate

I don't know about genetically blessed, I have to work seriously hard and stay really consistent just to be able to do what naturally fit people can do with ease. The only gift I have is bloody minded determination.... I'd crawl on my hands and knees to finish something if it came to it rather than give up.

Although I've never been a runner I have cycled and hit the MTB pretty hard for a consistent 20+ years so had a pretty decent engine tp begin with I guess. Nothing elite, just weekend warrior stuff.

MudHoney likes this.
  11. RS Gumby

RS Gumby Well-Known Member

Canberra 50k run on 15th ( my 55th birthday ) 4 hours 50 felt great after it
    Looking for my next marathon now after a **** Melbourne one last year

marty998, Hodor, Player and 1 other person like this.
  12. Propagate

13. Propagate

How's everyone's running going? Hope you're all still at it!

My endurance is coming on nicely. Had a cack week the week before last with a slight head cold, first one in ages, nothing major, just enough to knock the edge off so I had an easy week.

That right ankle is coming good now I'm into different runners, it got very sore last week after a couple of hard runs but I think it's going OK now.

Had my biggest week yet last week, 90+k all up (including a couple of recovery walks)

Went to Daylesford for a few days so ran a trail half marathon that I'd ran last year. 22k with 600 meter of climbing, all up/down/up/down short peaks. really hard to get a rhythm. This time I ran 95% of it (last time was closer to 70%) and I knocked half an hour of last years time, coming in at 2:18. Very pleased with that.

Backed it up 2 days later with a 30k trail run on gravel back roads, just missed the 2 hour mark for the first 21.1k, (2:01) but pleased as it was a point to point and slightly uphill the whole way. Finished at 30k with 330 vertical meters and a time of 2:55. Ran all but the one short section of the very last hill which gets a bit steep. Bettered my last time from September by 16 minutes and ran maybe 85% of it last time. Finished feeling tired, but good and strong. Finished it last time destroyed and crawling ;-)

Finished the week off with a tough little hilly trail run close to home. 12k and all twisty trail. Felt that after the two long runs.

Couple of days rest and a yoga class each night to loosen up then went out last night, had zero motivation and it was pretty warm. Intended to just to the 5k loop around the estate, mix of footpath, trail, fields and road crossing. Ended up pushing it a bit and bagged a 5k PR t 22:18. Stoked as I have been training for distance, not speed so very pleased to pull off a PR under not ideal conditions on a far from ideal circuit.

Rest day today, yoga in the morning and 6-10k hill training run tomorrow night then a slow, long run Sunday to see the week out.

Training is bang on track for Novembers Alpine Ultra. I think a mate and I are going to sign up for the Surf Coast 50k Ultra in September as a stepping stone target.

Hope you're all getting out there and having fun?

Last edited: 3rd May, 2018
    marty998 and Hodor like this.
  14. Blueskies

Blueskies Well-Known Member

Anyone else doing tough/toughest Mudder next weekend north of Brisbane?

I wouldn't describe myself as a 'serious' runner, but my friends and I have signed up for Toughest Mudder and set ourselves a goal of 6 laps in the 8 hrs, which is 48km. Have been training with nightime runs for the last few months, come a long way in that time but still interested to see how the endurance holds up. I haven't run any further than about half that distance during training so hoping that breaking up the running with the obstacles will prolong my stamina!

Hodor, Propagate and mrdobalina like this.
  15. RS Gumby

Is the Surf Coast Ultra a trail run?

16. Propagate

I'm not sure exactly, when my mate suggested it I said there's no way I can go long on pavement and he said it was actually trail but I've a feeling it'll be like a made trail if you know what I mean, rather than single track type stuff. I'll have a good look when I get chance.

17. Propagate

Tough Mudder looks like great fun. I like your positive attitude, breaking up the run with the obstacles to prolong stamina... have you been strength training and obstacle training or done anything similar to tough mudder? If not, I'd wager the obstacles will greatly add to reducing your stamina :)

Google Amelia Boone, she's my current hero. 3 times World's Toughest Mudder winner and Spartan Race winner, first crack at Barley marathons this year too I think. Smart money is on her for the first woman to complete the Barkleys. She also manages to fit in working as a full time attorney for Apple! Amazing.

Blueskies likes this.
  18. Propagate

19. RS Gumby

Looks like a good one for you mate, with my ankle problems I need road.

Propagate likes this.
  20. Blueskies

Blueskies Well-Known Member

Impressive. Interesting how often people with time consuming challenging roles like that also manage to excell I other areas of life too. Shows there are no excuses not to think any of us can achieve big things.

I have done True Grit previously and do a fair bit of strength training. The obstacles don't bother me nearly as much as the running, I just seem to struggle with longer distances, everything starts packing it in - calves, knees, ankles, plantar fasciitis you name it! In my training I will stop running ever 500m or so and do pushups/chinups/burpies etc and I find that little rest for my legs from the repetition is really good.

Propagate likes this.