The race is on....Federal Election 2019

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Scott No Mates, 28th Mar, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I couldn't hear any backing track. :rolleyes:

2. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Considering that they were "on the sauce", it would have been one of the few pubs without any backing music.

3. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

I think you are right Lizzie,they would have know about the US cash for guns for a while and the power to multiply and when to bring it out into the mainstream media..
    I just wonder when the real dirt will start to flow over the next month as the Labor unions past ,and the peacocks tail style signalling of future superiority hits the wall..

4. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

She's claiming both - probably with different parts of the report as (with most of her statements) it's not clear what is which.

My comment still stands ... if you don't say it, they can't record it ... something reality show contestants really need to learn too

5. Scott No Mates

Or entertainers dancing on the table?

6. geoffw

Ok. Yesterday it was heavily edited, in a subsequent interview she's claimed it was overdubbed. Either way, she's really trying to wiggle out. From things she said, and from things her staffers said.

We are in a world where the assumption of a private conversation is no longer a given. You don't need special equipment to "wear a wire". So yes, it's even more important now to only say things which you would be happy to be repeated.

7. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

My thinking is the only way scomo will win , is if everyone thinks Labor will win ( which most people seem to think ) and decided to vote for liberal so Shorten doesn't get too cocky by wining by a land slide .

I don't like either .

I think both the last liberal and labor governments have been pathetic and in a sense liberals need to be kicked out , re group in opposition before they can become effective .

Tempted to vote Labor locally ( doesn't matter as I'm in about the safest liberal seat around ) and write " this one's for Julie " in the Margin . Paul Fletcher , our local member was in the group that undermined Julie Bishop ...

I'd also be tempted to put , " Vote 1 - Jacida Arden "

Can we join NZ as the third island ? Seems about the only way we could get a decent Vote .

Her speech in Christchurch today , was one of the best political speeches I've ever heard out side Churchill and Kennedy ...

Cliff

8. oracle

oracle Well-Known Member

I would settle for ALP win (although prefer LNP to win) but a hostile senate where ALP can be virtually guaranteed none of their high taxing changes every pass or are completely watered down if they ever pass.

Cheers,
    Oracle.

Observer and See Change like this.
  9. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Is there even an alternative party close enough to win besides those 2?

Cheers.

10. Scott No Mates

327 independents? :eek:

Lizzie likes this.
  11. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

But can they form gov? What's the likelihood of that?

12. Scott No Mates

About just as likely that they could all agree on a restaurant to go to lunch.

Blacky, See Change and Sackie like this.
  13. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Listening to an interesting discussion on ABC Sydney this arvo - from a couple of Asian/Europeans who were born in Australia humorously talking about their experiences growing up in a predominantly white culture - and there was a phone in from a Lebanese/Palestinian Australian who made the observation that the "hate" directed towards those Middle East/Muslim descent today by Pauline et al is exactly the same as she observed (growing up) directed towards the Asians in the 1980's by Pauline et al.

That the Middle Easterns weren't the target of prejudicial hate speech in the 1980's but the Asian's were ... now the places have swapped.

Makes on realise that Pauline's hate is not about any particular culture or religion - it's simply hate of non-whites

14. geoffw

Pauline's maiden speech stated that Australia was in danger of being swamped by Asians. She called for multiculturalism to be abolished.

15. Scott No Mates

Xenophobic does not mean the irrational fear of Nick Xenophon.

Please explain.

Last edited: 29th Mar, 2019
    Lizzie likes this.
  16. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

I'm booking my flight

kierank and Sackie like this.
  17. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

I suspect we're in for a rough ride over the next few decades.

The "Business as usual" Liberal for a few years, Labor for a few years thing is coming apart which is sad cause if you look at history, the continual centre-left vs centre-right battle has really worked well for us. We've got a solid economy, great working conditions, free hospitals etc... It's not perfect but its overall pretty darn good.

What's replacing all of that is a thinning out of the middle and more people gravitating towards the far left and right. The rise of the greens in inner-city electorates on the far left and the rise of Pauline on the right highlight this.

It really scares the $^#& outta me, cause you don't have to look far back in history to see what extremes on either side of the political fence end up doing.....

turk likes this.
  18. marmot

marmot Well-Known Member

Much of the problems comes back to distribution of wealth.
    You go back to the first half of the 20th century and there was small groups of very wealthy people and very large groups of very poor people that had very few rights and were generally exploited by the ruling class.
    They were easily led astray by fringe groups, communism, nationalists etc.

19. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

Maybe....I tend to think it comes back to us all living in our own echo chambers with social media. It nudges us towards more extreme views.

Blueskies likes this.
  20. marmot

marmot Well-Known Member

Its been happening for years ,long before social media.
    One nation started in the late 90s
    It gets worse over time if left unchecked. especially in politics when we all get to vote
    But it comes back to distribution of wealth and some people feeling that they are missing out.
    Some of it is also generational , where certain age groups horde most of the wealth.
    That's been happening in Australia for a long time.
    I bought my first house as a single and paid it off in 10 years, I barely earned the median wage when I took out the mortgage, although my pay dramatically improved after the 7th year of the loan
    By todays prices the banks would not even allow me to get a mortgage unless I had a partner.

Last edited: 30th Mar, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.