The perfect balance.

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by Robert Petty, 27th Jul, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Robert Petty

Robert Petty Well-Known Member

So, we all seek to find the sweet spot with investing. And if we consider only realestate what’s peoples opinions on capital gains v cash flow.
    I’ve always been quite avid of cash flow, because if you’re like me, in the beginning of your investment life then cash flow is needed to be able to support the expenses, to then ultimately be able to hang in long enough to experience capital gains.
    But then again I’ve seen many investors in the Sydney and Melbourne markets receiving returns in the 3%’s and being happy with that. They’re definitely more established than me but gee that doesn’t even cover the mortgage interest (depending on LVR).
    Am I just naive? Am I missing something? Am I right?
    Looking to see everyone’s thoughts.

Disclaimer: my investment goals are to one day have a passive income generous enough to support a (hopefully very) early retirement.

- Rob

AndyPandy likes this.
  2. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

There is no right or wrong - it depends on the individual's circumstances.

We are happy with the 3% rental yield, because the property provides a very tax effective cap gain given our household income.

For example, if a house that returns 3% on rent, running at 3% loss after costs.
    Would recover about 1% from tax deductions (leaves us still 2% under)
    As long as the prop grows by > 2% we're in front.
    Typically our props have grown 5%~7% PA (there are ups and downs) so we are still in front.

The other difference comes in tax on the money you make.

If you have big rental income, you get taxed at your relevant income tax rate.
    So if you are earning $150k pa and get big rental income on top of that, you lose a significant portion of the rental income in tax.

On the other hand, the CG on a property is not taxed until you sell it, and you get a whopping 50% discount on it (sell it for $400k profit, it is treated as if you made $200k) as long as you hold over 12 months.

So for high income individuals, buying the so called "negative geared" IP is attractive.

But of course I agree every one looks for the passive income factor.

I found resi IPs are simply not efficient at doing this in the markets I am familiar with, and as I have written elsewhere, I have turned to large scale commercial properties through REITs (think of as part ownership of commercial properties).

So for our case, the balance in the coming years will be to have enough commercial rent income to support our lifestyle, while still maintaining a portfolio of "low rental yield" resi properties to grow our wealth.

The Y-man

Last edited: 28th Jul, 2019
    Sackie, TAJ, craigc and 5 others like this.
  3. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

IMHO, you will never achieve those goals by investing in property.

Property is only good for capital growth, and mainly through the use of leverage.

Sackie, Silverson and willair like this.
  4. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Fixed ;)

The Y-man

TAJ, albanga and kierank like this.
  5. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

I am with you. We bought into a REIT way back in 2007 (GFC time)and it has achieved 8% pa growth and 4% pa income over the last 12 years.

Hard to achieve that with Australian residential property :D.

Beano and JohnPropChat like this.
  6. C-mac

C-mac Well-Known Member

^^^^ this.

In Australian resi property you won't get to early retirement on these small yields alone.

My view was to flip the yield/CG order the other way around. I'm AU, those who invested prior to the recent boom years, did very well, CG-wise. The yields were still pretty poor/average given the amount of debt one had to take on.

But then, if you take the big CG gains as equity releases (during of course the times when equity releases/extractions were a bit easier), and re-invest those equities in much higher-yielding asset classes (e.g. specific stock/index funds, some REITS, or property in other countries or even commercial property in Australia), then you can have a great balance that yes, will get you much closer to early retirement, and quicker.

TAJ, Gockie and kierank like this.
  7. albanga

albanga Well-Known Member

Aussie residential at a simplistic view sits in 3 categories. Organic Capital Gains, Cashflow, Manufactured Capital Gains.

In this day and age I think only manufactured capital gains can take you to the promised land of early retirement. However then it really steps outside the realm of investing and more becomes a business.

TAJ, Perthguy, C-mac and 1 other person like this.
  8. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

The simple part about property investing it is simple and understandable and if you have the courage to resist selling then if it's the right location's and bought at the right price then time and compounding does it's magic.

,But I have to agree with ..Kierank..Property alone may or may not put you into the middle ground where you are no longer a worker or the boss and your total incomes from investments ,I know very few that live like that and the few I do have it spread between the top 20 asx listed and property just depends on what you want..imho..

TAJ, wilso8948 and kierank like this.
  9. Fargo

Fargo Well-Known Member

The perfect balance is 8%p/a CG and 5% p/a net yield . It just happens naturally if you pay the right price for the right type of property in the right location. It is hard to get more of either but easy to achieve that. A higher yield would mean the tenant would be better off to offer more and buy the property themselves which would lower yield and make it not a particularly good investment for an investor. Gives you all the CG you could probably be able to use or need, and the 5% yield increasing and compounding with CG, will give much greater and useful income growth than 3.5% yield. A growing 5% yield can give you surplus to enable cash or equity to be used for buying more growth assets. It is surprizing with all the noise that goes on here about what and where and when to buy ,how the only simple thing you need to know is ignored. Much easier to do this with commercial property but a higher deposit is needed.

TAJ, wilso8948 and JohnPropChat like this.
  10. BuyersAgent

BuyersAgent Well-Known Member Business Member

At the retirement phase all most self fundeds tell me they really need is 5% yield. The growth becomes much more optional in later stages. Not saying it isn't still worth having of course. But most in their 70's and 80's I talk to tell me they are willing to move cash around, buy and sell property and shares to ensure they get around 5% on average.

Beano and TAJ like this.
  11. Illusivedreams

Illusivedreams Well-Known Member

Don’t cheat yourself with the 4% rule

Its called the 4% rule.

5% is the safer version.

In essence you never run out of principal.

12. BuyersAgent

BuyersAgent Well-Known Member Business Member

Isn't that article focused on a 'safe' rate of withdrawing capital? Most of the folk I talk to have a goal of not touching any capital but generating cash returns to live on (rent, dividends etc) and having an inheritance to hand to the kids at the end. That is mentioned in the article as a negative, people I talk to tell me it is what they want to do. Depends what you can afford of course. Also major capital items like a move into a nursing home are exceptions and almost always require dipping into the capital base. No right and wrong I guess, Just feedback from my chats with people.