The other building block$ "Lego"

Discussion in 'Other Asset Classes' started by Switchtronics, 20th Apr, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Switchtronics

Switchtronics Well-Known Member

I have been collecting lego for some time now and thought I throw some of the solid returns and places that offer good deals.

In the last few years one of the most popular series and best performing sets is star wars. The ucs sets released every year have done very well.

Other series that have done favourably are architecturer and creator. Traditionally any new ideas like lego ideas I think will do well, sets with a large amount of pieces or unique first time releases.

The biggest ever lego set to date is the Colloseum. Lego has started putting out some huge sets. In 2018 Taj Mahal was the biggest with 5922 pieces and it could be found as low as $249.

The Millenium Falcon ucs is over 7000 pieces, is selling for $1299 and in the past almost impossible to get unless you are a lego member.

Link to the new release.
    Millennium Falcon™ 75192 | Star Wars™ | Buy online at the Official LEGO® Shop AU

The original can fetch up to $5000 which was 5195 pieces.

Link to lego better investment than gold article.

https://www.google.com.au/amp/www.t...a-better-investment-than-shares-and-gold/amp/

In the last few years myer have has several 40% off specials. Post covid although alot of specials have dried up. They are starting to resurface now. Shop for me regularly does good pricing and target and big w has their 20% off sales regularly.

Suggestions on Lego sets to buy
    https://www.finder.com.au/guide-to-lego-investing

These sets I suggest will do well based on uniqueness. This set I think will do really well. Has been hard to source for some time now.

This one now retired and a new release has come out.
    LEGO® NASA Apollo Saturn V 21309 | Ideas | Buy online at the Official LEGO® Shop AU

Good value at the time could have been bought quite cheaply around.
    https://shop.lego.com/en-AU/TIE-Fighter-75095

Unique creator series product
    Winter Village Station 10259 | Creator Expert | Buy online at the Official LEGO® Shop AU

Lego ideas these sets are great. Now retired!
    https://shop.lego.com/en-AU/Yellow-Submarine-21306

Lego creator
    Been around a while
    London Bus 10258 | Creator Expert | Buy online at the Official LEGO® Shop AU

Now retired, fairing well.
    Parisian Restaurant 10243 | Creator Expert | Buy online at the Official LEGO® Shop AU

Sets that could do well

https://www.target.com.au/p/lego-re...vpNVhgzUEurZBEm0CycaAj-7EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

LEGO LEGO Ideas Tree House 21318

LEGO Creator Expert Bonsai Tree - 10281 | BIG W

Last edited: 20th Apr, 2021
    Rugrat, Stoffo, Guest and 3 others like this.
  2. Michael.Knight

Michael.Knight Well-Known Member

Hi Switch,

Thank you for this very informative and surprising post. I never considered Lego as an investment. As a huge fan I did some investigating into your links, and all I can say is "WOW"! Some sets have an annual growth rate of 20%+!

I found this site very interesting. It tracks every Lego set sale, predicted current value and annual growth rate...

BrickEconomy - LEGO Set Pricing and Market Values

I've already started my Lego portfolio. "Blue Chips" I've targeted for buy and hold are Taj Mahal, Grand Carousel and Cafe Corner.

I'll also be investing in the Winter Village series, Modular Buildings, and Star Wars Master Builders.

Thank you for this great post!! This has to be one of the top posts I've read on here in a while.

Switchtronics likes this.
  3. Guest

Guest Guest

About 10 years ago I bought 5 of the LEGO Creator Mini Cooper sets, paying around $110 each on special, sold them a couple of years later when we decided to move (made a very minor profit on cost). Just looked them up now and looks like they sell for around $300-350. So % return would have been great if I'd held onto them, but the reason I sold them and problem I see with investing in Lego sets:
    • They are very bulky, which means you need a lot of space to store them
    • You need to try and store them without damaging the box or you reduce their value
    • They become a liability if you move house
    • May be difficult to cover with insurance once you pass a certain limit
    • There is no liquid market, so you're either at the whims of large fees on Ebay or lots of tyre kickers on Gumtree/Fb Marketplace
    • In general they are relatively low value, so a lot of messing around to sell them one by one
    If you are an avid Lego builder / collector, then I think it could be a good idea to buy one to build and another to store if you think it could perform well, but for the average investor looking to sink a few thousand dollars in as a novelty investment, consider the problems and risks along with the return.

Switchtronics and charttv like this.
  4. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

5. Switchtronics

Thank-you for the kind words. So many people contribute on here the least I can do is give a little back. The creator series I highly recommend, some good picks in your collection. The new r2d2 will do wellI think if the previous is anything to go on.

Michael.Knight likes this.
  6. Switchtronics

7. Switchtronics

Yes careful thought must be taken into storage. I use racks and have survived a few moves. I recently moved by stacking all the Lego into the racks after sliding the racks into the truck. For the right set, the right return can be achieved. My current portfolio sits at 346% return on purchase price.

Last edited by a moderator: 10th Oct, 2021
    luckyone likes this.
  8. Switchtronics

9. Rugrat

Rugrat Well-Known Member

Oh man. And to think I just give them to the kids to make and then when they are bored of it, they just get destroyed and all the individual peices just get added to the massive boxes full that we own. And more often then not, all the instruction booklets end up torn and subsequently thrown out.

With 3 star wars crazy boys in the house, the various star wars sets are a favourite for them to receive as presents.
    A couple of the 13 year old's have remained intact (but boxes and instructions long gone). One is a millennium falcon. But the younger boys like to play with them, and have as much fun destroying them, as they do pitting them togsther in the first place.

Never would have ever thought they could be an investment. :eek:

Switchtronics likes this.
  10. Rugrat

Rugrat Well-Known Member

We had one of those sets. Now it is just parts, scattered in several different tubs...

Last edited by a moderator: 10th Oct, 2021