The Olympics and property prices

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by spludgey, 25th Feb, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

Prior to the 2000 Olympics host being announced, Homebush was a polluted cesspit, now it's a pretty highly regarded area.

Might the same happen in Brisbane for the 2032? If so, where are likely locations in Brisbane to focus on? And when might this growth start to occur? I would expect somewhat before 2032, once infrastructure plans are in place.
    Probably not ready for the here and now, but definitely worthwhile to keep an eye on over the next decade.

2. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

Remember that Homebush / Olympic Park were still not that desirable immediately following the Olympics. In fact even the better parts of the inner west like Burwood weren't really highly sought after until about 10 years after. Considering the games won't be coming for a decade and you may need to wait for a decade after till it pays off, I wouldn't be investing on that basis.

I would rather be targeting areas that will benefit from the medium term infrastructure upgrades. So the moment they announce new train lines or a new light rail or whatever, that's the stuff that would pique my interest. The benefit of these projects is they cannot drag out. They have a hard deadline so unlike say the Metro in Sydney which kept getting delayed, these infrastructure projects would be a lot more reliable to put money on.

3. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Winning the Olympics could affect many in Brisbane but its a LONG way off. They will need to construct many facilities and will be timed to finish a year before and not earlier. In Sydney there was no price impact as such. Areas closer to the precinct had traffic restrictions etc. Planning laws blocked many developments near the precinct so nothing impacted TV views !!

Sydney had many changes due to the Olympics. The precinct was one and they planned it to stay and be used and not a dead elephant but it was so they constructed endless apartment buildings and even more commercial buildings than previously. A new rail line to it was a patchy fix (a dead end that they are now trying to fix with a equally as expensive light rail 20 years later), City streets got a massive change in architecural hardware and paving that took several years. One big change which remains is bus routes and hardly anyone notices. They invented a sytem of signage to guide drivers using small route numbers and arrows on small orange fluro signs on poles that remain to this day. Bus drivers dont get lost in Sydney and for major events the same routes are used for the show, footy and other major events at the park eg concerts - there are three concert venues there with 70,000+ at the biggest. Carparking is discouraged and people know its quicker to bus than drive. I would argue our new metro rail routes and harbour tunnels and the new airport will be a better change than the games were.

marty998 likes this.
  4. Gen-Y

Gen-Y Well-Known Member

Can’t go wrong buying in area where jobs are created.
    Around Brisbane CBD and the Airport are the biggest employment hub.
    Follow the smell of money, is that what they say?

5. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Brisbane 2032 Olympic Games would be unlikely to bring big-ticket infrastructure to state

Queensland is unlikely to see any big-ticket infrastructure projects if it wins the 2032 Olympic bid, with Brisbane's mayor saying up to 90 per cent of the venues would be temporary or existing.

Cr Schrinner said road and transport infrastructure would need to be improved in south-east Queensland ahead of the Games.
    Seems like transport will be the big winner - and most of those plans already exist.

6. Firefly99

Firefly99 Well-Known Member

I’m really hoping this does cement in transport infrastructure projects across SE Qld. There are some upgrades that are desperately needed - eg it shouldn’t take 2.5 hrs by train between Brisbane and the SC.

7. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

I would like to see a train to the gold coast. I remember 20+ years ago how exciting it was when they put in a new line! You no longer have to drive to go to the beach! And then we found out they were stopping at Robina. I mean...wtf? Why spend all that money to build a line only to stop so close to the heart of the GC? Finish that damn line for gods sake.

I never use that damn thing. If I have to transfer on a bus, I'm out. I'd rather drive and sit in traffic. A relatively tiny investment would completely transform the city IMO. Just think about how much travel there would be between the two cities if there was a train that took you right into the heart of the GC.

Last edited: 25th Feb, 2021