NSW The Next Byron Bay

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Lacrim, 7th Oct, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Player

Player Well-Known Member

Ahh, okay. I was under the impression it was Mornington Peninsula locale. All of it except the acreage bits of Red Hill, Dromana, Shoreham and the like has had a suburbia feel for years. I don't consider there is any "the next Byron Bay" down there. BTW if I was to live down that way, it's McRae for me. Great vistas and good beach where you don't have to walk half a kilometre to get beyond knee deep water. :D

2. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

:)Ok you got it, area in one of the above 3 as close to water as possible

See lots of potential

Player likes this.
  3. Player

Player Well-Known Member

Just walking around there barefoot at all times, make some tie dye apparel and occasionally forget to shower. Byron Bay vibe in a jiffy :p

We have a property at Rye. Haven't been down there for probably 15 years.

4. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

5. EK01

EK01 Well-Known Member

Cairns and surrounding areas are stunning - just don't like the wildlife that lurks in the ocean up there....
    I would have added Evans Head or Yamba to the mix though. Both great spots.

QldGuy likes this.
  6. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

7. wilso8948

wilso8948 Well-Known Member

Big difference between Catho and Chain Valley. Catho is all beach. Old seaside shanty town with loads of history that has transformed over the years. Chain Valley is Lake and surrounded by underground coal mines and power stations. Most of these are slated to close in the coming years however. Lake Mac is still gorgeous though.

MTR likes this.
  8. CTSB

CTSB Well-Known Member

The correct answer is Flinders.

Flinders is already extremely expensive, heaps of celebrity owned property down there, is private and tucked away from the main tourist areas.

A lot of high end builders building $5-$10m holiday homes down there at the moment.

Case in point.

https://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-vic-flinders-135015490

Last edited: 26th Feb, 2021
  9. Vertigo

Vertigo Well-Known Member

I have not read this thread and I don't know if it had been mentioned but Yamba used to be called "poor mans Byron"

10. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Redwing likes this.
  11. SunSurfSmile

SunSurfSmile Member

Saw this thread and thought I would give an update on Agnes Water/1770.
    Local Resident. Have watched it evolve quite a lot over the last year.
    Agents are definetly dropping the words Byron Bay in advertising as the interest in the area increases as are prices.

There have been some renovations to some shops which was long overdue. Trendy Noosa vibe.
    New Gelati Co just opened up the other day in prominent position and did a quality job.
    Local artists got together and painted the bottom of many power poles recently. Lifted the town and added great interest.
    Road into town currently being widened.
    Have heard there is an ocean front board walk in the pipeline which is also overdue. Hope that eventuates.
    Builders can't really keep up with new builds I have heard from locals.
    Looks to me that at least as many sales are occurring as new listing's.
    Over 100 new student started at the College this year.
    Rental demand is very high as opposed to a year ago.
    More carparking facilities still needed which is a current downside but I guess council will look at options.
    Gladstone and Bundaberg are not going to get any closer so it is still an isolated town and too far out for some.
    Will always be a factor for some workers but Coles delivers here now which has made it easier in that regard.
    Not sure if the isolation might be considered more a positive than a negative given the current situation.

It's had its highs, lows and flatlines over the years but the interest seems to be a healthy natural incline right now.
    People have taken the opportunity to holiday here and get to know it given the covid travel issues so time will tell if that results in more people wanting to settle here.
    I loved property investing but due to health on the sidelines these days but always had a feeling this place would take the stage some day.
    Visited and fell in love 10 years ago and finally bought my land 3 years ago where I had the luxury of choice so got my forever place.
    I'm more interested in how Agnes will evolve as a community being a permanent resident but expect it will present some opportunities for some given current really low ocean view prices (compared to Byron )
    Really happy living here. Top spot

Jess Peletier, Bwinny, SAlad and 3 others like this.
  12. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Have to get myself up there one day but IMHO, unless the Council move the town and the beach 100km south, its hard to see Agnes Water reaching cult status like Byron. But I could be wrong.

wilso8948 likes this.
  13. GirlPower

GirlPower Well-Known Member

I agree it’s to far up and isolated from services. This speaks to some but not the masses. Maybe if Chris Hemsworth moves there though.... :)

14. SunSurfSmile

SunSurfSmile Member

Yeah it might take a celebrity LOL
    I myself don't think it will be the next Byron Bay, but I think it will have significant growth over the next 10 years presenting good opportunities.
    It will always have its own identity in the differences but people might say in 20 years about another spot I wonder if this will be the next Agnes Water/1770.
    It is very interesting watching a small sleepy town evolve into a hot spot and how it adapts and copes with it.
    Many locals don't want it to change and grow but I don't think they are going to get a say in it this time.

Toon and GirlPower like this.
  15. Boss

Boss Well-Known Member

Stock on the market in Agnes Water has plummeted over the previous 6 months:

SQM Research - Property - Total Property Listings - 4677

I feel for the locals in all of the East Coast lifestyle towns who are being priced out of the market though.

Without sounding arrogant, however, perhaps they should do some basic research and investigate why prices are soaring and more importantly what is likely to occur in the future in terms of development and population growth and their local property market(s).

The extent to which COVID has driven and will continue to drive major socio-cultural changes at a macro level and how these changes will trickle down and impact the regional property markets...particularly locations such as Agnes Water which offer a pristine environment, relaxed lifestyle, increasing amenities and affordability... are concepts which are comparatively easy to explore.

16. Boss

Boss Well-Known Member

17. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Its already had a huge upswing..... look at Mornington Peninsular, still can get in but its soaring. Boomers, lifestyle and WFH has changed everything

18. gsam

gsam Member

Could it be Port Macquarie????.though its known to be a retirement/holiday suburb, it has all the nice beaches and demographics are changing...

19. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

Re Agnes Waters / 1770 . There's an episode of the ABC show backroads ( Iview ) on them . Worth while watching .

Cliff

20. TAJ

TAJ Well-Known Member

You may as well live in North Sydney!:rolleyes: