The NBN lie

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Zenith Chaos, 29th May, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Zenith Chaos

Zenith Chaos Well-Known Member

What happened to broadband in Australia?

Ex-ABC Editor Claims NBN Coverage Gagged To Please Malcolm Turnbull

The NBN was kneecapped by the Coalition (primarily Malcolm Turnbull and Tony Abbott). It is arguably one of Australia's most important pieces of infrastructure as it is an enabler for education, business, globalisation and the knowledge economy. In the near future, fewer people would need to travel to work with decent internet infrastructure.

In the order of $100B will be spent on the NBN. What will Australians get for that money? How much will be written off as a result of it being the wrong technology? DYOR.

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

It was knobled by the telcos - there is a huge under-investment by the telcos in the low-cost NBN services. They would much rather push their own services (on a totally user pay basis) than to buy wholesale from NBN and remarket it as their own service as they have no control over the third party supplier (ie NBN) and cannot meet their SLAs.

The Telco Act gives the Carriers way too much power and the building owners very little ability to refuse a service to be installed within a building. eg. It is a criminal offence to interfere with a telecommunications installation.

3. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I got a letter yesterday asking me (how many people got this letter) to please hold off as there was so much congestion with people trying to get NBN.

What a joke.

Marg4000 likes this.
  4. twobobsworth

twobobsworth Well-Known Member

On NBN at home and work We get about 19-20mbps download and bugger all upload. If uploading a video to youtube we can't actually use the phone.

Will 5G be making the whole system redundant anyway?

5. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

We got one too.

We have until a June next year, and were in no hurry anyway.
    Marg

6. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I've always said that they would've been better off investing the money in a tower/satellite system ... so many have said they notice no difference on NBN (we're streaming fine on ADSL at home) ... as the technology will be redundant by the time they've finished - without the option to upgrade, as they could with towers and satellites and newG technology

Stoffo likes this.
  7. TSK

TSK Well-Known Member

Mobile/wireless is shared, more people on it less for each. It will never be faster than wired. Gpon can handle gbit if using fttp. Fttn or hybrid coax are all terrible options forced upon NBN co.
    Congestion is your provider not adequately provisioning.

8. TSK

TSK Well-Known Member

No

9. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

No.

4G was supposed to make it all redundant - but I can stand in the middle of Thompson Park (next to Artarmon Public School) during the day and get very high speed data transfer, while standing in the same place on a week night (while waiting for kids soccer training) it becomes completely unusable due to congestion from everyone trying to use it all at the same time (not just slow - actually unusable).

Similarly, on Tuesday afternoons I work from a cafe at Ashfield mall while the kids attend Spanish lessons at a nearby school, when I first get there, the 4G speed is good, but progressively deteriorates as the afternoon progresses and more people arrive home and start using their mobile wireless.

I carry a mobile WiFi hotspot on another network for situations like this - but all too often, both Telstra and Optus networks are so congested that I can't even browse PropertyChat or get emails - useless.

Mobile data is great when it works and is not congested - but the shared nature of the spectrum means that it very quickly becomes congested and this is not a provisioning issue fixable by flicking a switch to add capacity like fixed line internet - the only way to solve it is to put in a heap more base stations.

For casual usage, mobile is generally fine. For anything else - fixed line internet is required.

All 5G does is use up more of the scarce bandwidth and will actually make congestion problems worse, not better. If there's very few people connected to your base station, you'll get awesomely fast connections, but I suspect that you'll find congestion gets bad more quickly on 5G due to greater bandwidth requirements for each link.

twobobsworth likes this.
  10. PandS

PandS Well-Known Member

5G is brand new spanking tech, differ from the 4G LTE which face congestion
    it operates on small cell so each small cell cover smaller land area with greater capacity
    it also operate on a wider spectrum higher and lower band so plenty of bandwidths there

among this new tech is lower latency and of course a lot faster speed
    you should get any where between 300 mbit - 1.2G.

In Australia Telstra have it around 600 mbit and Optus on similar footing with give and takes.

5G is the catalyst that made TPG and Vodafone to merge and will fight tooth and nail with ACCC in court to get it. They will build a small cell 5G network made NBN obsolete and will disrupt Telstra and Optus price.
    TPG has the fiber backbones and Vodafone has the location and properties to mount small 5G cell, perfect marriage

there are some in the community reckon ACCC decision to blocked the merger could be partially political motivated as they see NBN as a dead duck and government have to written it off which is embarrassing given they yet to finished NBN roll out, Communication minister will be a laughing stock of the world.

$50 a Month in the US with Verizon get you, that is our future with TPG :)
    • Unlimited data usage (no data caps)
    • No bandwidth throttling
    • 5G speeds ranging from 300 Mbps to 940 Mbps
    • No long-term contracts

Last edited: 29th May, 2019
  11. Zenith Chaos

Zenith Chaos Well-Known Member

5g by itself has bandwidth issues that only fibre can alleviate.

NBN should have maximised the amount of fibre they could lay and at least to the major hubs. Wireless can handle the last part of the journey.

Use a tree as an analogy, fibre is the wood, the leaves are the wireless. Most effective way of reaching all points.

12. PandS

PandS Well-Known Member

Between Telstra, Vocus and TPG they have plenty of fiber backbone

NBN has monopoly control of the last miles to the home and up until now there is no tech that can by pass that last miles to the home so they force all telecom company to pay ridiculous price to access it.

Well the time has come that allow Telco to skipped this last mile and its name is 5G

mikey7 likes this.
  13. Scott No Mates

Most carriers have extensive fibre networks in the cities, they have little infrastructure in regional hamlets and towns.

I'm a NIMBY, I don't want a micro-cell on every second telegraph pole around the suburb. It was a big enough battle when Optus/Telstra wanted to install aerial cabling for Foxtel etc.

14. BarneyRubble

BarneyRubble Well-Known Member

100%, And more secure (I know I installed it) and fixed has considerably higher usage allowances.

15. euro73

euro73 Well-Known Member Business Member

The beautiful Hills District, Sydney Australia
    What a farce the multi use stuff has turned out to be . They should have rolled out Fibre to the curb or premises . Full stop. Even rusted on liberal supporters can concede that, surely?

They have taken what would have been a valuable and useful and transformational asset, politicised it and turned it into an almost uniform disappointment for the majority who now use it. Ultimately it will end up needing to be updated to fibre or it will require a massive write off in order to be sold. In its current configuration it’s not half what it should be. What a monumental political football they turned it into.

Last edited: 30th May, 2019
  16. TSK

TSK Well-Known Member

Only as secure as weakest link....which is wireless for 95% of population: catch handshake (don’t even need to do that these days, hell some routers can be broken into via wps ), offline crack, on network, mitm etc...

17. TSK

TSK Well-Known Member

Tony windsor consulted experts...do it once, do it right, do it with fibre.
    Coalition - who significantly contributed to problem with sell off of vertically integrated telecom rather that whole sale and retail. I suspect many coalition voters are apologists when it comes to most of the rabbles stuff ups.

18. Scott No Mates

FTTC would have been a better outcome or even FTTN in regional areas if it was a cost saving measure. Let the customer pay for that the last leg if they had wanted FTTP.

I couldn't see the point in replacement of all of the infrastructure by FTTP everywhere.

FTTN installs in business premises are a PITA.

19. TSK

TSK Well-Known Member

They did the numbers, regionals got a mixture of satellite, wireless or FTTP. Perhaps the customer of roads should pay for the last leg from the highway....

20. Scott No Mates

No, they pay for the highway (toll roads) and through our rates.