Entertainment & Music The Musician's Thread

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by The Y-man, 14th Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Yeah, as I said, I think they're becoming collectable? Funny.
    That's cool that it's built in.

2. Gibson

Gibson Well-Known Member

Fender Blues Junior you say.
    Where is it made? I think they've started producing these in China which has lowered the price a bit. How's the valve going?

3. Dylan33

Dylan33 Well-Known Member

Ive
    I've had it a few years now. I'm pretty sure it was made in Mexico.
    Valves are fine so far. I've read that some people change/ upgrade the valves straight away to get a different tone with the harps.

Gibson likes this.
  4. Rockstar

Rockstar Well-Known Member

I was given an old nylon string guitar from my older bro when I was 16. Soon became a fanatic and quickly moved onto a Maton colonial which I regret selling. Went on to a custom Maton Messiah in 1984 which I still own as my only instrument. Had a 1984 fender strat elite + music man valve amp which I should have kept as well. (Marc Knoffler fan) (-:
    Not sure what my old Maton is worth but it sings like a bird.
    Love the old gibson accoustics as well but never owned one.

Gibson likes this.
  5. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

A virtual band would be cool. I have a Taylor GS Mini for portability. A cajon and an electronic piano.

Gibson likes this.
  6. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

My first guitar was an Ibanez acoustic . Still have it . Over the years I picked up an ovation breadwinner ( electric , not acoustic ) and more recently a Taylor acoustic and fender American standard strat and Tele .

My main interest and strength is songwriting . Haven't done much recently due to the property market moving and spending my time on that . I've got a recording studio in pieces in a spare room next to the garage , which I haven fully connected since we moved in earlier this year .

My music version of PChat is NSAI and in recent years I've gone from being interested in pop rock to the pop end of country music .

I had this song recorded in Nashville in early 2013 as a trial run with the intention of
    getting stuck into song writing seriously , but then noted Sydney was about to take off .....

A few more buys , then the aim is to spend my PChat time back on songwriting .

About a year ago I was at a birthday party of one of my song writing friends and another friend came up and said " I've worked out you're see change ... "

If anyone is serious about song writing , check out Pat Pattison . Prof of song writing from Berklee ( John Mayer is one of his many Grammy winning students ) . He comes over to Australia twice a year and runs weekend work shops . Next on sept .

Check out link on CMCproductions .

Cliff

Rockstar, willair and Gibson like this.
  7. Catalyst

Catalyst Well-Known Member

I'm not a musician, but my kids are learning classical piano. My 16yo just passed his AMEB AMus (Associate diploma of music) last week. Been an intense and stressed out month for the whole family.

My 13yo finished his grade 8 last year. Learning AMus now. 10yo learning grade 7.

So I spend a LOT of time shuttling between piano lessons! Time that should be spent finding an IP:p

We have a Yamaha C3 at home. Love it! :)

8. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Far out, that would be a lot of lessons! Starts to get pretty intense.
    Can they play by ear or only sight reading?

Catalyst likes this.
  9. Catalyst

Catalyst Well-Known Member

They play without music scores when performing at concerts or competitions. They use scores when practicing though.

They do like to play by ear tunes from video games, TV shows etc as well :)

10. Phantom

Phantom Well-Known Member

If there are any Irish members out there maybe you can include me in your virtual band. I sort of play a Mediterranean version of the Irish guitar. That round looking one with 8 strings. o_O

11. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Good stuff, make sure they keep up the creative side. I've known some classically trained pianists who didn't play without sheet music. Maybe it's like a confidence thing, or too worried someone will notice a tiny mistake.

Catalyst likes this.
  12. Vacant

Vacant Well-Known Member

Oh man, I have been through countless guitars and amps. I've always loved buying and selling gear to try as much of it out as I can. I sold the bulk of my collection when my wife had our first son and stopped working.

Current electric collection is very small. A Mexican thinline telecaster, my go to guitar, made by Ashcustomworks in NZ and a Bossa OB4 bass, pretty much a Japanese boutique copy of an F bass.

As for amps I'm down to a Yamaha THR10X. I certainly miss the big stacks and rack gear but at the moment the little lunchbox is all I have time for. Have to get back into it I think.
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Gibson and Azazel like this.
  13. Gibson

Gibson Well-Known Member

Nice NZ guitar there. How are the Seymours?

14. Gibson

Gibson Well-Known Member

Thanks for the tips will have to check out Pattison.. Really let my songwriting go over the last 8 or so years.. Would love to get back into it but never been able to nail down the home recording side of things... Used to just plug in a TDK tape into a small recorder and let it record... Lotsa ideas and what not as I improvised... Nowadays have done some instrumental improv on Soundcloud for fun...
    Just heard the Nashville recording by See Change wow!! Great track, playing & vocals and an overall quality recording.
    I recommend everyone have a listen
    Cheers

Last edited: 22nd Jul, 2015
    See Change likes this.
  15. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

Thanks for that Gibson .The Nashville Studio's are quite amazing in how they do things . The Muso's are all top session players who do the recordings for the top artists but when they're not doing that , they do the demo's for all the aspiriing and established writers. Around 200 for a top vocalist and for 5-800 you can have a fully finished demo with world class performers ... It's great going from a dodgy demo to the finished product . Now just got to get the songs right .... and even when you do , the chances of making it are pretty slim

When you're trying to get a song placed in nashville , even with new artists you're competing with the best in the world and a band like Rascal Flats will have over 6000 songs pitched at them for an album ....

Cliff

16. Vacant

Vacant Well-Known Member

I'm happy with them. They could sometimes use a bit more bite but I've never had the urge to change them. Cool tap is nice, as a cover all bases guitar it suits me well. The previous owner installed a volume bypass switch which has been a lot more use than I had expected, especially with a single channel amp. You can set the amp to however much crunch you need then have the volume knob set to edge of break up and use it as a faux channel change. Also a lot of fun for pretending I'm Tom Morello and playing some RATM licks.

17. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Have now heard one in real life and added to the "must get one" list :) ... need to get capex approved by the boss, as well as the "where are you going to put it" explanation essay.

The Y-man

18. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

M
    My cajon sits wherever there's 1 Sqm space. Get one!

19. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Your soundcloud link?

The Y-man

20. Gibson

Gibson Well-Known Member

Too true, capex approval (or at least acknowledgememt) by the boss. I also love the "don't you already have enough instruments?" explanation essay!!
    Have to tread carefully at all times - but with a big milestone birthday next year I may be back in the market for another set of 6 strings