The meaning of Diversification

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by Ko Ko Naing, 30th Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Ko Ko Naing

Ko Ko Naing Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I'm wondering what other investors define the word "Diversification" when it comes to property investment. Does it mean investing in another state, where you already have 1 property in one state? Or another city in the same state, where you already have 1 property in one city in the same state?

I understand land tax-wise, it needs to be state-level. What about at the city level? Different cities in the same state have different industries.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

2. CosmicTrevor

CosmicTrevor Well-Known Member

Diversification is a risk mitigation technique, in other words you are trying to reduce the risk of something happening that could adversely affect your portfolio.

It is a fascinating topic with arguments for and against. For example, lets say you are really expert at commercial property, but in order to diversify you feel as though you should add resi to your portfolio. You might be reducing the risk of the commercial market tanking, but you are introducing the risk of buying a poor resi IP (assuming you don't know the resi market as well as commercial).

Thus you really need to analyse your risks in order to answer the question "what is the right diversification approach for me and my portfolio?".

A further illustration, if you think there is a risk of the market tanking in one geographic area and you already own IP there, you might choose to buy elsewhere, or conversely, you might look for a great buying opportunity as the market tanks!

So, identify your risks, the impact if those risks eventuate and then decide if you need to diversify and how.

3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I see the diversification across different property types ie commercial, retail and industrial - further diversification can be achieved across states.

If you are adequately resourced, diversification should be across asset classes ie. Property, equities, bonds and cash.

Propertunity likes this.
  4. Ko Ko Naing

Ko Ko Naing Well-Known Member

Thanks, @CosmicTrevor and @Scott No Mates

I'm particularly interested in residential property investment and established house market. I currently have 2 IPs in Ballarat, VIC and thinking of buying outside of Ballarat as the next move. So thinking of diversification, if it should be enough to diverse my next investment to another regional city like Bendigo or Geelong. Or is diversification more meaningful at state level?

5. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

I guess some investors use it in terms of different asset classes or types.
    As far as real estate, it could mean different states, but could also be different markets in the same state as well. Many different markets doing many different things. Even if you were only investing in QLD for instance, areas are at different stages of the cycle.

6. CosmicTrevor

CosmicTrevor Well-Known Member

With 2 IPs in 1 regional town you are at risk from an adverse market movement in that town. But it is too simplistic to say that is problematic. For example, they may be yielding well and vacancies may be low. These are the sorts of things you should be assessing.

Are the fortunes of Bendigo connected to those of Ballarat, do they tend to move as a single market or not? If they do, then you haven't achieved diversity by buying in Bendigo.

As I said before, identify the risks (ie the things you are concerned about) and then structure your next move accordingly. It is too simplistic to say, "I must strive for diversification". I'm sure there are plenty of successful investors out there that are experts in their field, who would not be considered diversified. So forget the word and focus on the risks.

Ko Ko Naing likes this.
  7. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I just stick to property and try to be the best I can be with it, rather than try to master many things and be very average with them all.

I prefer to diversify across states so I'm exposed to as many property cycles as possible and my portfolio has a higher chance of always growing.

8. Big Will

Big Will Well-Known Member

You can also look at shares as a way to diversify

9. Steven Ryan

Steven Ryan Well-Known Member

Excellent post.

Agree completely.

The first 3 properties I bought were all in the same suburb (Marrickville). Had I "diversified" for the sake of it, I would not have come close to those returns.

10. miked

miked Well-Known Member

Regarding diversification in shares - I don't really understand it all that well, so I don't plan on doing it (basically what you guys have said).

BUT, even if I did want to do it, and I had 50k to spend on shares, why would you? While you could get decent growth on shares, you could also get similar growth with a property, but instead of investing only 50k you can borrow and invest 500k, getting that good old cash on cash return.

What am I missing? I'm sure there's something...

Sackie likes this.
  11. Fargo

Fargo Well-Known Member

You can borrow to buy shares too, paying 50k for interest, fees and put options can give you 500k of exposure to shares and give you higher potential growth than property. Buying a house half you 50k would be gone in stamp duty than you have rates insurances and maintainence.

12. miked

miked Well-Known Member

Is it hard to get 90% LVR for shares? I didn't know you could do that.

13. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

As far as I understand, it's very risky for people who don't know what they're doing. Probably for people who do know what they're doing as well.

14. miked

miked Well-Known Member

Very good point. If you have shares in a company that tanks, the company could just disappear. Virtually no risk of that happening with property, if you have time you can always wait it out.

15. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

miked and Azazel like this.
  16. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I have to agree with you. I think shares is fine to invest in AFTER your property base is established. just my opinion.

17. Big Will

Big Will Well-Known Member

Or you do it through your super and have property outside.

Sackie likes this.