VIC The Market has certainly changed direction - Melbourne

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by NWHT, 19th Mar, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
?

Which way do you think the market is headed in Melbourne?

Poll closed 23rd Jan, 2020.
  1. Strong Upwards

0.9%
  2. Upwards

9.3%
  3. Flatning

23.0%
  4. Flat

22.1%
  5. Downward

30.8%
  6. Strong Downward

14.0%
  1. NWHT

NWHT Well-Known Member

Update from James Buyers Advocate (servicing Melbournes suburbs; Boroondara, Stonnington, Bayside & Port Phillip) about the current market condition and their take on it.

Worth the read and determination of your own opinion.

The Market has certainly changed direction

MTR, au contraire and Toilandtrouble like this.
  2. Illusivedreams

Illusivedreams Well-Known Member

3. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

I dont know anything about this BA,
    but two things
    - website looks like it was designed by my kid....when they were 5
    - "Statement of Information $5,800,000 to $6,380,000. Vendor Bid $6,000,000. No Takers. Passed In on Lone Vendor Bid. Asking Price now $6,790,000."

so hes using a $6m price as an example of a falling market,
    range being $5.8-6.38m, but now on private sale at $6.79

thats some serious undequoting if the reserve was the asking price

MikeyBallarat likes this.
  4. melbournian

melbournian Well-Known Member

talking the 3+ mil above market - is a different ball game. The buyers and clientele are not as many. and it is different breed of buyers.

I have seen Doncaster places move to 1.8mil than drop down to 1.4 mil and similar in Balwyn and glen Waverley. Every suburb has its peak and plateau and unless you are like Shane Warne who does flipping in brighton or like James Hird's wife who buys places and refurbishes places in Toorak, it's a different buyer segment altogether which represents the top 15% in terms of wealth. if you talking about some indian couple buying a house in pt cook for 600-700K or like a developer who can do a small dev buying for 1 mil is more realistic.

au contraire, NWHT and TMNT like this.
  5. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

Maybe Melbourne people understand all the jargon but I found it very difficult to read this BAs' article. (Maybe I'm slow eh?) but found myself wondering what was a bidderman? or a castler? I'm sure there is some good info in there but I'll need to find a spare hour to read it slowly and refer back to definitions I'm unfamiliar with - geeze what is a snowballer? Too much work to read - like seeing a foreign movie with english subtitles - I'm not up for that much work :)

Spiderman likes this.
  6. Knights of Ni

Knights of Ni Well-Known Member

Which of the 100's of Melbourne Markets are we talking about?

ashish1137, housechopper2 and JacM like this.
  7. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

I stopped reading afte the $6m quote, the Bidderman reference, and the 8 x different font sizes

John2018 and Truly Exotic like this.
  8. DrunkSailor

DrunkSailor Well-Known Member

Melbourne feels quite today. Anyone else get the feeling we're running on fumes?

NWHT likes this.
  9. NWHT

NWHT Well-Known Member

& @TMNT - Yes ha it's certainly not everyone's cup of tea but you take parts of it! I try to review a wide range of opinions - from PC, AFR, Property Observer right down to James Buyers Advocate, then make my own opinion... makes for a diverse scope of views and interesting reading.

If you read the article it's discussing the inner-eastern, high-value resi homeowner market and the effects of reducing local wealthy investors and Chinese community.

10. housechopper2

housechopper2 Well-Known Member

As others have said, melbourne is many markets. The pole only captures perceptions of the 'average' which is not particularly informative.

Properties with FHB appeal, close to transport between $500-$750k are going gangbusters due to the massive stamp duty concessions. This combined with low interest rates and strong net migration, I can't see these markets slowing for another 2-3 years at least

11. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

....except for my poor little apartment in Prahran.... :(

The Y-man

ashish1137 likes this.
  12. JL1

JL1 Well-Known Member

what do you realistically expect them to do? ie. if its another 2 years of 10% YoY (still low compared to peak gains) that means a 750k property should be worth around 900k, which means those costing 900k now should be worth more then..

A few years ago i thought peak melbourne would happen when Dallas was ~550k based on differentials to gains in other suburbs across melbourne. its one of the least desirable and cheapest of the cheap of established suburbs, and it was $300k in 2015/16. Now that it has caught onto the boom as well i think that all areas have more or less run their stride. prices seem much more level across the playing field, even if the playing field is quite high up. Rents did not more, so in 2015 you could buy in at 5.5% yield in dallas. its now more in line with the sub-4% yields across melbourne.

MTR likes this.
  13. S.T

S.T Well-Known Member

This guy is like the Rex Hunt of Property commentary....

Some interesting stats though, people are still moving to Melbourne in droves. The bracket from 2-5 mill seems to be slowing significantly. From the few auctions I've been to, areas are still doing well (South East, Bayside).

WattleIdo likes this.
  14. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

This is a great read. Thanks

Just shows you need more than one driver for markets to keep booming.
    Also Government did meddle and APRA did work

NWHT likes this.
  15. housechopper2

Probably 5-8% growth YoY for these suburbs. More if they are close to transport with good land component.

Not as much growth as some have seen in the past, but still worth being in the market.

16. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Just depends if FHB market can soak up the volume, investors are out and if interest rates rise it will impact on all markets regardless.

17. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Well not necessarily, its dependent on the yield and when you talk about YoY growth that is way too broad, when markets flatten they do nothing for years, matter of weighing up debt vs growth vs whether there are better markets to jump into.

18. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Melb had been a stellar performer but the worm has turned, smart investors have already worked this one out, either accessed equity or sold out, same as Syd.

I don't see the point buying property when yields are 3% and the market has peaked, it will be a long time between drinks and you still have to service debt.

Steve McKnight mentioned that did not expect Melb market to turn so quickly I believe mid last year??

JL1 likes this.
  19. housechopper2

I take your point on YoY growth being broad. But if you can seek out a property with 5% or more YoY growth in Melb with 4% yield and borrow under 4% interest rates, then it's still a very solid investment.

What we keep coming back to is the debate on likelihood of growth in a low yielding city. Sure 3-4% yield is no good if there's no growth. I'm just saying that for pockets of melb <$750k there will be plenty of FHB driven growth.

WattleIdo likes this.
  20. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Clearly. People only need to hesitate in giving an opinion and have a look at the FHB markets first.