The Lord's Prayer in Parliament - what the hell?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by jaybean, 28th Feb, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

I havent read everything. But is someone really saying prayer is the same as a holiday and both should be removed if one is to be removed?

2. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

do you petition or form a party about everything you disagree with?

must have a lot of spare time

Tim86 likes this.
  3. Tattler

Tattler Well-Known Member

Not me. I believe in the Lord's Prayer in Parliament. I believe in significance in Easter and Christmas from Christian point of view.

4. Tattler

Excellent opinion. Religion is a very personal thing. I believe it too.

5. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

So in summary your points are as follows (1) Christianity is right because you have a personal relationship with your imaginary friend. (2) Holidays are the same as prayer and if you want to remove prayer you should stop taking holidays. (3) If you dont like something within politics you should start your own political party.

...yeah I dont see anything in your opinions thats worth putting energy into debating.

HUGH72 and sanj like this.
  6. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

I like in Genesis how this particular "Yahweh God" says don't eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil because "for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die." After Eve tells this to the serpent, the serpent says "'No! You will not die! God knows in fact that the day you eat it your eyes will be opened and you will be like Gods, knowing good from evil.'"
    This Yahweh God guy obviously doesn't want them being like Gods.
    So anyway, she eats it, Adam eats it. Yahweh God cracks it, gets the poops with them and the serpent, curses all future women to experience extreme pain etc...
    "Then Yahweh God said, 'Now that the man has become like one of us in knowing good from evil, he must not be allowed to reach out his hand and pick from the tree of life too, and eat and live for ever!'"
    Note that he says like one of "US". Who was he talking to?
    Kicks them out of Eden. They have 2 boys (one of whom goes off to mate with a female from the land of Nod to the East of Eden - other people existed besides Yahweh God's little garden experiment... but that's another story). Then "In all, Adam lived for nine hundred and thirty years; then he died."
    930 years old... didn't Yahweh God say they would die the same day they ate the fruit? The serpent said no you will not die?
    So who lied: Yahweh God - or the serpent?

7. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

Sure, he's cherry picked the bad. But when Christians say they get their morals from the bible are they not cherry picking the good?

Azazel and wylie like this.
  8. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

I can't comment on your personal relationship, but let's consider the book again.

Imagine how wonderful and enlightening a book would be if it was authored by the creator of the universe, it would be the best and most interesting piece of literature ever written.
    The old Testament has been cobbled together by ignorant, murderous, sexist, homophobic, superstitious barbarians who were obsessed with animal sacrifice and it shows.

While it might be an interesting insight into a time long ago, either the book is valid or it belongs in the trash can.
    It never ceases in amaze me how we like to tip toe around the unfortunate reality of what these books actually contain.

9. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

Christians arent moral because of the Bible. They are moral in spite of it.

10. Tattler

Debating about what? The topic was about people having problems with the Lord's Prayer used at Parliament. I told them that it is fine as it is their opinion, which they are entitled to. If they want to get it removed, then have a petition to the MPs to get it removed.

The MPs are not going to read PropertyChat and said "hey, people in PC are complaining about the Lord's Prayer in Parliament, let's get rid of it."

11. Tattler

You can certainly say this. Some Christians are certainly not good ambassadors, and yet they are the same one that throws the Bible at people. Even I am not the best ambassador. Everyone has flaws but some are more than others.

12. Tattler

It is up to the reader to interpret what was written.

That's why for some people, Bible is purely a historical book describing the barbarism and punishments for the Jews. For some other people, it is purely fiction. For other people, it is a book containing the love and promises from God, and is most important book they have ever read.

13. Tattler

Yes if you read purely the Old Testament only, it is pretty sad reading. That's why after reading the Old Testament, the reader should read the New Testament.

14. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

The Bible is a bit rough for toilet paper so I cant see any use for it at all.

Really how can you follow this book:

I honestly dont know how someone could watch that video and not critically re-evaluate their beliefs.

HUGH72 likes this.
  15. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

When it suits your needs it's the word of God. When its vague, contradictory or bad, it's metaphorical.

Tim86 likes this.
  16. Beelzebub

Beelzebub Well-Known Member

Our head of state is the Queen. She is also the head of the Church of England. Lord's prayer makes sense in that context.

17. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

people here are arguing for and against one type of religion - Christianity or lack of Christianity.

Do the other scriptures, Buddhism, Hinduism have nothing interesting that can be discussed? I find those religions a lot more fascinating.

Quote from Buddah: - my favourite God (apart from the Egyptian cats)

Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind in the present moment. :)
    Now that is one Lords prayer I would be happy to swear on.

18. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Exactly.
    "...believes you should love strongly and completely those who deserve your love..."

Xenia likes this.
  19. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

That's from the Satanic Bible.