The lending market JUST turned.

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by BuyersAgent, 12th Mar, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. BuyersAgent

BuyersAgent Well-Known Member Business Member

Last edited by a moderator: 12th Mar, 2018
    Redwing likes this.
  2. mues

mues Well-Known Member

I think the question is how far sentiment has turned against the market. If people now believe the market is cooked this will have little impact.

3. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

I believe it is only “cooked” in Sydney and maybe Melbourne.

That leaves a lot of Australia that is not cooked

NWHT, Stoffo, Perthguy and 1 other person like this.
  4. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Yep...you should see the massive flow on in Brisbvegas by late next year....not only on the expensive houses....

Ekin200, Redwing, Eric Wu and 2 others like this.
  5. BuyersAgent

Totally it will take time for sentiment to shift but bank behaviour and attitude is what I was referring to

6. Redom

Redom Mortgage Broker Business Plus Member

I think thats reasonably fair summation of the current times (lending market turning), but pricing hasn't really been expensive or too prohibitive, its been policy and assessment rate buffers that are holding borrowers back (not price, IMO).

7. sash

sash Well-Known Member

This is the point I am trying to make without much a success....well let me try again:

Lets assume a familty of 3 (2 adults and 1 kid) has a gross income of 150k. They want to buy a house for 875k in outer Sydney and want to borrow 800k.

Pre-APRA:

1. They would have been assessed at the actual rate of 4.5% plus a small margin. So they would be assessed at loan costing about 40k per annum plus they would have taken the 2k (20k pa) the family reports as their cost of living so a total of 72k...and even after taxes there will be some income left over.

Post-APRA

1. The family would be assessed at 7.5% P&I or about 72k per annum plus about 50k in living costs. This where after taxes they won't qualify.

This is just an example but it shows what is happening. And that people who could have bought a 850k home will no longer qualify..it affect the higher priced houses a lot more.

RPI, There and Nadine Cross like this.
  8. Beelzebub

Beelzebub Well-Known Member

Wow, okay. I thought the APRA crackdown was isolated to the investor market and those wanting access to IO. Are OOs being hit also?

9. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Yes serviceability is across the board.

The rates are much lower for OOs thought...brokers can clarify this....

10. BuyersAgent

You are right @sash - the apra and additional measures have bitten both for ppor and investors. The banks are now trying to work out how to back peddle without breaching apra and get more business (thus making more money). Its a pendulum swing. I recently had a dentist earning 700k told he could only borrow $500k for a beach house not $1m as he hoped. Every story is complex but when people on those incomes are getting their expectations halved its impacting the entire market but most markedly the expensive markets.

Zoolander likes this.
  11. Eric Wu

Eric Wu Well-Known Member

These changes are a double edged sword, it restricted investors, but also hurts home buyers. It creates a vacuum some sorts somewhere. The question is : has it addressed the housing affordability issue or not? It does cool down the sydSydand Melbourne markets, it also hurts the rest of the country. Let's assume if apra did not make these changes, will Sydney and Melbourne markets self regulate or correct themselves? Maybe, or maybe not.

12. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

I prefer the sledgehammer effect affecting both OOs and investors.

Less FHB and OO = more renters looking for accommodation = higher rent.

WattleIdo likes this.
  13. sash

sash Well-Known Member

This why i reckon places like Brissie will take the affordability is unbelievable.

14. sash

sash Well-Known Member

It would also mean prices will drop significantly in Sydney.

15. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

I think we agree on that front except the 'significantly' bit.

16. Zoolander

Zoolander Well-Known Member

I like your way of thinking.
    Also is this how banks thought when they hiked rates for all customers, not just new loans?

17. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

I call FAKE news

after quite a few excited client calls today.......... the candy gearing shop is still very very firmly SHUT

just because pricing has been adjusted ( fiddled ) that means absolutely diddly squat in terms of lending capacity and the finance market per se.

Its just stoopid lenders trying to get 10 % growth in a 2 % market..............

Its no easier to get any form of APRA regulate mortgage backed loan this week, than say last month, or 6 month ago, and in fact, further slow strangulations around APRA APG 223 and further ASIC interventions around HEMS and regulators HASSLING lenders around exceptions to their own policies, I can only see further contraction, before any official loosening.

Wait till APRA brings in APG 7.62 .................

APRA, REALLY needed to act to arrest some silly lending practices, but have placed themselves into a very very precarious position

Any effective loosening of current APG 223 would suggest, hey you bad banks you were really really bad in the good times, now we are heading into poorer times, here is your Get out of jail card to be bad again.............. I simply cant see it :( least not while the current guv is in power.

And to top it off, the majors are way ahead of the guv here........... they really really wanted the Royal commission.................

ta
    rolf

Bender12, Brisbane04, euro73 and 7 others like this.
  18. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

You've just outed yourself as an evil greedy landlord, preying on the poor souls who didn't buy before APRA tightening! Shame on you!

I like that bwahaha ;) image.jpeg

qak likes this.
  19. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

nah

Most lenders have always had a floor of around 7 % on their own lending in recent times ( higher in the past)

A borrower with just a single PPOR purchase has been affected mainly on the HEM ie their deemed living costs NOT anything that APRA has done . HEMS are more an APRA regulatory thing than APRA.

Dunna matter if u are living on rice and lentils, the min is x..........

and logically the Min Hem rises a little with increased income to the hedonic adaption of human beings ( keeping up with the Jones'es)

ta
    rolf

20. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Before APRA...the banks we willing to accept living costs given the customer...now they have guidelines built into the software.

Other difference was that a lot more them allowed actuals.....this is how I got to 1.8m with a conservative lender like APRA pre-APRA.