The incredible power of association – who do you hang around?

Discussion in 'Investor Psychology & Mindset' started by Steven Ryan, 25th Oct, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

I guess emotional support would be great but not banking on it.

2. Steven Ryan

Steven Ryan Well-Known Member

@sash, all valid points but I want to clarify, when I said "I also jettisoned some noxious acquaintances and haven't looked back." I meant exactly that, NOXIOUS* acquaintances :) I still maintain a circle of acquaintances from all walks, with very different perspectives. But I will not allow weeds to invade my garden :)

* harmful, poisonous, or very unpleasant.

Jkat likes this.
  3. inertia

inertia Well-Known Member

This.

As people they are both worthy. They both probably have something to contribute in different scenarios. I kind of don't get why people are cagey and/or judgmental when it comes to wealth. If someone is a super-elite sportsperson (or even "just" a very competitive amateur), we can openly discuss the sacrifices they have made, and as a group celebrate their victories. Why not when it comes to wealth? Your success is not at my expense. I can learn from it and grow as well. If I'm not prepared to make the same sacrifices, I should not expect to make the same return. Not all of us can break the 48hr mtb record, eh @pinkboy ?

Cheers,
    Inertia.

4. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Agreed...sometimes...I need the weeds to keep me grounded....I do find negative people quite funny. I see the humour.....in their thoughts.

5. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

I think when the interaction is short and irregular, it's easier to see the funny side. If you have to work with them day in and day out it's different.

Do life with the people who make you a better person. This is not just about wealth at all - I am inspired by people who are amazing parents, generous givers, or just really funny :) What ever area I'm lacking in, I try and find and surround myself with the people who encourage and bring out my best, and hopefully something I offer will bring out their best too.

Last edited: 12th Nov, 2015
    Phantom likes this.
  6. Steven Ryan

Steven Ryan Well-Known Member

Relevant:

Phantom, Redom and Greyghost like this.
  7. Phantom

Phantom Well-Known Member

Agree with you Jess. It's not a nice place to be when your day to day life is amongst people who are negative. It's really a bad place to be psychologically. At work for example, it may not end there. You take that home with you and it affects your family life. I can relate to this. So much so, that it has contributed to me changing industries not just working environments. Such was the extreme nature of it.
    Happy, positive people around you can make a world of difference both personally and professionally.

Sackie, Steven Ryan and Jess Peletier like this.