NSW The Hills Sydney, best areas for land home packages

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Dragonflyjan, 16th May, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Dragonflyjan

Dragonflyjan Member

Hi
    Which areas in The Hills district offer completed lived in homes and new house and land packages? We are looking for potential growth from the downturn going forward. Thanks.

2. Property Twins

Property Twins Mortgage Brokers & Buyers Agents Business Member

Hi @Dragonflyjan

I am not sure you will find new H&L in established areas in the Hills.

Where have you been looking?

When you say - you are looking for "potential growth from the downturn" - what do you mean by that?

Propertunity likes this.
  3. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

Most places that developers want you to think are in the Hills, definitely aren't!

4. Dragonflyjan

Dragonflyjan Member

Hi so we are new to the area and only been in Australia for 2 years. Our thinking is because house prices have dropped recently if we bought a house and land package wewould save on stamp duty is that right ? Then there would be potential for growth with the market value being more than the build cost. Is this a valid point of view? Thank you

5. Dragonflyjan

Dragonflyjan Member

Is that because of distance or travel time?

6. spludgey

Note, this is the old boundary (we were still in the Hills then not Parramatta, how I long for those days), but you get the point. Anything outside this is not in the Hills, even if they give it a name ending in "Hill".
    upload_2018-5-16_10-46-35.png

7. Dragonflyjan

Dragonflyjan Member

Ah thanks very much

8. Property Twins

Property Twins Mortgage Brokers & Buyers Agents Business Member

Stamp duty on H&L will generally be higher than when you buy vacant land. Check in with the Office of State Revenue NSW - they are very helpful.

Not too sure what you mean by 'there would be potential for growth with the market value being more than the build cost'?

9. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I'd vote to be in Parramatta council over Hornsby council though.... for sure.

mikey7 likes this.
  10. spludgey

Yes, probably but remaining in the Hills would have still been the best option.

11. Gockie

Just curious. Do you think being part of "Hills" has more prestige than "Parramatta"?

In any case, I think Parramatta council has been doing good things for Epping - Hornsby didn't. Epping town centre was quite disjointed/undeveloped when it was being managed under 2 different councils and neither wanted to invest in it properly/they couldn't come to agreement for its future planning thus nothing concrete happened to make it a coherent locality.

I acknowledge Epping town centre will have a lot more apartments. I can only hope, traffic with the Epping Road Bridge is going to be ok. But that's not really council's responsibility though.

12. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

Not "The Hills" but close by. I remain of the opinion that best places to be buying newly built homes are near Cudgegong Road station at Rouse Hill (Cudgegong Road area is south of Windsor Road so part of Blacktown Council). Once the train link opens around February or March next year it will be a 30 minute commute to Macquarie Park. Try to find somewhere within 10 minutes walk of the railway station. Look for a Townhouse or house in preference to a unit.

The metro trains will be every 4 minutes in peak hour. For a few years you'll need to change trains at Chatswood to go to the city. But in 2024 the trains will run through to the city ( Chatswood to Sydenham Rail Link | Sydney Metro ).

They have started work on a link that will connect Chatswood to Martin Place ( Martin Place Train Station | Information & Maps | Syndey Metro ) via a new station at Victoria Cross ( Victoria Cross Train Station | Information & Plans | Sydney Metro ), Crows Nest ( Crows Nest Train Station | Information & Plans | Sydney Metro ), Barrangaroo ( Barangaroo Train Station | Information & Map | Syndey Metro ).

Dragonflyjan and Jacque like this.
  13. hash_investor

hash_investor Well-Known Member

I would think that for sure.

mikey7 likes this.
  14. Gavin Ng

Gavin Ng Well-Known Member

I do heaps of work for project home buiders in The Hills Shire.

The house and land packages in the Hills Shire area will be in North Kellyville (Growth Centres), Box Hill (Growth centres), and Box Hill North

15. Gockie

Whatever the purchase in or around the Hills district I'd suggest to try to buy either or both of:
    1. Within walking distance to the train station (Echoing @wombat777's post).

2. In the catchment of highly regarded schools.

Why? Because that's what residents want! These homes will always be more tightly held and there will be more demand at the time of sale too.

I think it's a rose by another name. The area doesn't change really, though I think it's something the residents will have a viewpoint on.
    I think the benefit of Parramatta is that it really is the second CBD of Sydney and it's very central to the majority of Sydneysiders. Sydney's population mass is centred only a few km's east of Parramatta so that makes it a good spot for suburban events.

Dragonflyjan likes this.
  16. spludgey

The residents most certainly charge, especially when you look at Parramatta itself.
    I'm not sure ever I've seen rambling drunk/drugged people in the Hills, in Parramatta it's at least a weekly occurrence for me.
    Also, some Parramatta suburbs are much dirtier than Hills suburbs.

virhlpool likes this.
  17. Gockie

Sorry I'm coming from the question of "If council of your home changes, does it really have an impact on your home's status?" With nothing else changing about your home or address. The only major thing I can think of is that some councils are more generous when it comes to subdivisions and developments. I reckon suburb name matters, and it will add or subtract $$ from the value of your home, but the council it falls under doesn't matter as much (talking Parramatta vs. Hornsby vs. Hills)

18. hash_investor

hash_investor Well-Known Member

it does matter sometimes. In case of parramatta may be it doesn't but for hills it somehow does.

I guess the reason for that is Parramatta is more diverse having both good and bad suburbs hence the distinction is on more granular level. However hills has no undesirable suburbs hence the appeal is at a different level.

19. mikey7

mikey7 Well-Known Member

Depends on your budget.

For newer houses;
    North Kellyville for ~$1.1m for average, smaller house.
    Kellyville (Arnold Ave, Balmoral Road areas) for ~$2m+ bigger, overpriced houses.

You'd be much better off buying an established house somewhere in Kellyville, which for the most part are actually priced properly. The newer builds are just a rip off.

Dragonflyjan and spludgey like this.
  20. Jacque

Jacque Jacque Parker Premium Member

Unfortunately in the areas you're searching for in the Hills you're unlikely to receive any concessions as the SD exemptions and concessions are for cheaper housing. As a first home buyer, you can apply for an exemption/concession up to $350-450K for vacant land or properties built up to $650-800K See Revenue NSW for more info here First home buyers | Revenue NSW

Also keep in mind that any savings made by buying new and receiving concessions are often negated by buying established older properties anyway, as these are often on larger blocks (eg: The Ponds vs older Kellyville village precinct) and you can potentially add value to them, more so than a set and forget newer built property. It's really your personal choice.

As for the market value being more than the build cost, this can only be tested by selling the asset so not really a realistic option. You do need to be very mindful of extra costs when building (rule of thumb is to add 15-20% as contingencies onto any quote you receive) as well and consider all costs, that aren't often included in the initial quote.

Build quality is also important and I'd much rather invest in an older property that has superior structure than some of the cheap rubbish that's out there masquerading as quality. You need to look carefully at the builders and their reputation as well. Best of luck with it all.

Dragonflyjan likes this.