The Boomer Supremacy Summary

Discussion in 'Investor Psychology & Mindset' started by Belinda Punshon, 2nd Mar, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
?

Do you think there is generational inequality?

1. Yes

41 vote(s)
    49.4%
  2. No

42 vote(s)
    50.6%
  1. Cactus

Cactus Well-Known Member

Of course with research and hard work anyone can buy a property just
    Maybe not in their state or to live in at the start.

2. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

There are other industries than financial services.
    I didn't actually say first year grad, a couple of years experience was all some had and due to high turnover there were substantial retention bonuses on top of the salary. Their actual salary in that crazy period around 07 was even higher.

3. Cactus

Cactus Well-Known Member

Your comment was starting salaries of $150k which implies just finished uni and base package not inclusive of bonus or overtime. To me anyway.

Mining? Offshore drilling engineer? Lend some detail to your argument.

These jobs often have an element of unusual yo
    them hence the pay.

Why was turnover so high in this amazingly high paid job for little experience with great work life balance?

When is a grad no longer a grad and just an employee?

Last edited: 3rd Mar, 2016
  4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

@datto - once I thought I was wrong but I was mistaken. ;)

datto likes this.
  5. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Indeed.
    Waste energy basking in the poor me mentality, or get out there and do something for yourself.
    For a lot of people, one of them is easier.

6. Scott No Mates

Jobs like that didn't necessarily have to be offshore nor uni degree to qualify for a decent salary. A business colleague's son completed his heavy diesel mechanic apprenticeship in Sydney and walked straight into a Qld mine for >>$100K back around 2008.

Cactus likes this.
  7. Cactus

Cactus Well-Known Member

Agree but due to the lack of qualification requirements any adult could retrain and get these jobs including bb

I would argue that the pay was comesurate with the conditions.

Also $150k is a 50% increase on $100k not a small difference the the quote I was questioning.

8. Scott No Mates

@Caltan - I didn't probe too deeply as to how much he was paid, suffice to say that it was significant.

I have also dealt with Sydney buyers (sub 30 year olds) who in a good year receive >$1m bonus. Sure these are anomalies in the pay scale but are far outweighed by those who don't come to the workforce with the requisite skills.

When inner city areas were unattractive, they were filled with blue collar workers but as they were gentrified these areas became much more valuable and priced these workers out of the market. t
    I went for a drive through the south west of Sydney recently - it reminded me of all of the reasons as to why I don't live there. Other than whole scale redevelopment of brownfield sites for high density, the presentation of shopping strips, industrial estates and general housing standards are poor and declining (managed estates excepted).

9. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Sounds the same near Brisbane.
    Probably similar places in Melbourne.

10. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Us oldies don't have much job security either. We tremble every time we get called up to meet the Managing Director. Try getting a new job after the age of 50.

11. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

I would rather not talk further on a public forum about specific companies and salaries so I will pm you

12. Belinda Punshon

Belinda Punshon Member

Definitely agree that casualisation of the workforce is an issue. I know many people who have done 3-6 month unpaid internships in the media/arts industries.

13. Blacky

Blacky Well-Known Member

Well - there is the issue right there.... :rolleyes::Do_O

Belinda Punshon and HUGH72 like this.
  14. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

But to be fair, studying art and trying to get a decent job in it is pushing stuff up hill from the outset.

Belinda Punshon likes this.
  15. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

It's happening with Law graduates too. At least back in our day we got paid as graduates. In Adelaide, one law firm wanted to charge graduates $22,000 to get a job! :eek:

The proposal was not supported though. It's a bit harsh to have to pay to work!

Legal firm backs away from making graduate lawyers pay for a job

16. AndrewTDP

AndrewTDP Well-Known Member

Happening in architecture as well. But I guess that's just another pointless industry.

BTW, my undergrad degree is a BA with a history major. It's more useful in terms of skills than my actual planning qualification.

Toon and Tyler Durden like this.
  17. Cactus

Cactus Well-Known Member

Thanks for the PM, interesting info.

HUGH72 likes this.
  18. truong

truong Well-Known Member

Nothing stands alone. Everything is the result and the cause of everything else.

Take casualisation of the workforce. While employers gain more flexibility in restructuring their businesses and replacing workers, the workers also gain flexibility in changing jobs/careers, pursuing education/retraining, keeping in step with the job market, getting better conditions, creating their own businesses or just organising their lives.

All of this is closely connected with the huge socio-economic transformations at macro level (technological change, globalisation, diversification etc...) that bring both good and bad. And of course people are not just passive victims of these changes, it is them who by their collective behaviour are making these changes happen.

While society is getting more complex and competitive, people are also much better equipped to deal with it. Society and people will always move together in sync as people use the good stuff to deal with the bad and it just balances out. As a whole while every generation has faced very different conditions, I don’t think it has made a lot of difference in terms of their success/failure rate or their happiness level.

To just pick one part without looking at the whole, or one side of the ledger without looking at the other, is to miss the point.

19. zed_kid

zed_kid Well-Known Member

This is the stuff we should be talking about. The real problem, the other thread about this issue started by 2fast4you has something like 4 replies while hype Sydney has 34 pages. We’ve become too full of our ****

20. zed_kid

zed_kid Well-Known Member

Sure. it’s got nothing to do with the fact that a contractor costs 0.8 of a FTE head.