Entertainment & Music The Block.

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Sonamic, 21st Aug, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Sonamic

Sonamic Well-Known Member

The Block is back. In Melbourne. Again. What a surprise. Still enjoy it though.
    Any other fans?

2. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

Nope, hate those shows.

Drama drama latte argument something wont fit drama drama tears drama latte drama drama. And occasionally some renovation happens.

3. Jamie_

Jamie_ Well-Known Member

I only ever watch the room reveals on Sunday nights, like DaveM said the drama and tears gets boring during the week

Bran likes this.
  4. Sonamic

Yes the "entertainment" side of it far outweighs the technical side these days. But I still enjoy watching the builds. Though the budgets are questionable, at best. :p

5. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Do they still do those ridiculous 'challenges'?

6. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

I didn't get a chance to complete my application so the ratings will be low this season:D I'll keep an eye out for the next one

I haven't really watched the last couple of seasons much, the drama and whinging annoys me. ...do they actually do any work now? ?? It is a lot of shopping and bitching

I was impressed with house rules that just finished, they lifted their game although i think their finished products are much lower quality than the block

Sackie and Brian84 like this.
  7. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

I don't watch but from the bits and pieces I have seen, they run increasingly bizarre competitions to win money to pay contractors to do the work. Now the show is about the competitions, not the building. I will still watch the reveal episodes though.

Haha... yes. That's because the punters did the work, not contractors. It's a lower quality finish but it's real.

Sackie, Foxy Moron and bob shovel like this.
  8. Brady

Brady Well-Known Member

Used to watch each episode, but the drama is too much these days. I still enjoy the reveals.

Perthguy likes this.
  9. bob shovel

I found the application for the current show but I didn't get around to it :D

Might pull my finger out for the next season of the block, not sure about having people make a mess in my place on house rules. ... although I'd be happy to do a quick reval or just sell and run before it falls apart :D

10. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I still enjoy - and it's my wind-down show when there is nothing else on.

Like few other experience renovators on here - I am, once again, dumbfounded by how little work "on the tools" the couples do. Last night they spent a small fortune on trades to slap up some framework, stuff in some insulation, screw on a few sheets of gyprock and slap up some plaster ... seriously ... hubby and I could do that in an afternoon for no cost, and then have a small fortune to spend on fitting it out.

Yes - I would get trades in for the plumbing, electrical and tiling - but, even then, one of us would "labour" for them to keep cost down

Perthguy likes this.
  11. Sonamic

Don't forget the young fellow who tried to get his builder to paint for him too!
    Agreed not as much about on the tools as the very early Blocks (think Bondi Block) more about the drama, shopping and silly challenges. But I still enjoy it overall. General consensus seems to be Sunday night reveals win. They still need to bring one to Brisbane though.

Perthguy likes this.
  12. bob shovel

Are melb council's easier to deal with? Or is it just easier for the block to deal with them as they've done so many down there?
    It would be much more appealing to do a brissy one. I'll call the producers and make some changes

Sonamic likes this.
  13. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

... seriously - did that experienced renovator (Dan) loiter around for 2 hours waiting for his tiler to turn up and grout!!? Who gets the ******' tiler to grout at $xxxx/hr?

Brady likes this.
  14. ramblin72

ramblin72 Well-Known Member

I wish they had something like Masterchef where they have a masterclass conducted by the chefs, only in this case they could do a master class in either construction or project management skills. Just focus on one item...like how to budget a bathroom reno.
    Can't stand the drama.

Perthguy likes this.
  15. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Yeah, not a massive fan.
    They repeats on the house channel, 94 or whatever it is.

16. BKRinvesting

BKRinvesting Well-Known Member

Hang on... People still watch free to air TV?

DaveM likes this.
  17. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Sure do! I love Catalyst, Gruen and Checkout on ABC. I try to catch Have you been paying attention as well. I like all the flipping shows on 94 as well, for entertainment value. Selling Houses Australia coming soon to Channel 7. Love that! Oh, and Grand Designs. I do seem to watch a lot of real estate shows! :D

Sonamic, Joynz, Chrispy and 1 other person like this.
  18. Chrispy

Chrispy Well-Known Member

I am the same The only shows I watch on TV are the free to air. All those named by Perthguy. Glad Channel 72 A Place in the Country, a Place on the Continent, etc will be back now the Olympics are over

19. bob shovel

When did this happen:eek: i was just starting to get into the handball! :(

And Perthguy listed my dream viewing list :p except for gruen not so sure about the host.

I listened to a good podcast with chas from the chaser, good insight to the behind the scenes action. Host was osher g...... what's his name:confused:

20. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

I can't stand the ads. Sometimes have the TV on in the background if I'm doing something, but usually DL and watch without ads.

Stoffo likes this.