The Block 2019

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Sackie, 18th Aug, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Screenshot_20190818-130430.png

I enjoy watching the block, probably the only trash tv I watch.

Anyway those who watch it, predictions on who will win? The only couple I like are Mark and Mitch. Can't stand Jesse and Mel.

2. Mel Morgan

Mel Morgan Sydney Property Manager Business Member

Ah I'm not watching it this season, but the drama normally frustrates me - however I'm loving Survivor at the moment!

luckyone, Perthguy and MRO like this.
  3. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Survivor is dramarama! :D

Re The Block, I've gotten a couple of good reno ideas over the years, implemented some of them.

4. Mel Morgan

Mel Morgan Sydney Property Manager Business Member

Yeah the room reveals do give me inspiration, although not really building/renoing atm. I reckon you and I would be quite good on the block together :D

Sackie likes this.
  5. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I'll hold you to that one of these years.:cool:

Mel Morgan likes this.
  6. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Don’t watch it any more, except for the auctions. The live auctions can’t be rigged - everything else is.

These recent years seem all about creating dramas rather than about the actual renovation.

Stopped watching when the judging criteria changed. The early shows were judged solely on how much value was added by the renovated room, focussing on the end result.

Today it seems you can win or lose a room depending on your choice of art work or cushions! And how well your taste compares to the judges’ tastes.

7. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I really love watching Damien Cooley at the auctions. He's the best of the best imo.

Marg4000 likes this.
  8. skater

skater Well-Known Member

I think Mark & Mitch are pretty switched on. Jesse & Mel are the pits. I don't like them at all. I don't like the judging, especially when they gave Jesse & Mel a 3 for the bathroom. Even though I don't like them, I thought that was poor form on Neil's part. It's a game & they were playing the game, in getting the bedroom as good as possible to win the safe. Penalising them for playing the game, was pretty slack. Just give a 5 or a 6 and be fair.

Ross 355 and Sackie like this.
  9. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sceptical about all of these types of shows (including cooking shows). Unless the judges are walked into the rooms blindfolded (& have no idea of whose property it is - very hard to achieve when the layouts are different), then the judgement is coloured.

Perthguy and Marg4000 like this.
  10. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Agree @skater with everything you said. Hopefully tonights reveal will good. I'd like the guys to take it out. I think their entertainment idea for top floor could be a winner at the auctions.

11. skater

skater Well-Known Member

I'm way behind. I'm recording it so I can watch later.

12. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Just watching it now on 9 website.

skater likes this.
  13. MRO

MRO Well-Known Member

I am skeptical of the fundamental concept. The reserve prices are not disclosed until the final week. If they renovate well does the reserve price get increased and effectively handicap you back in line with the other competitors? Also, they all have the same budget (other than winnings) yet some apartments are a lot bigger than others. From a value perspective surely spending more on a smaller apartment will result in a better product and higher sale price (of course this is irrelevant as they then adjust your reserve). I think the reserves should be made public at the beginning of the season and that could then impact apartment choices. Maybe i have thought about this far too much.

Sackie likes this.
  14. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Just enjoy some of the designs mate! :p

15. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

Its been mentioned in some previous seasons that the valuations were done based off the original plans and layout.

16. MRO

MRO Well-Known Member

I do that mostly, and then get to the last week and want to switch off. I do think a lot of the 'design' work and judging is focused on who has the best towels, cushions, 'eclectic' shelf ornaments. Personally I like more of the construction design stuff and looking at which one I would prefer to own. I still enjoy the show even if I dont like some of the fundamentals.

17. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Its fantasy. Nobody else in Australia (except maybe Opal Tower Sydney) would have such a frantic pace. If you filmed a real experienced team building at that pace and finishing paint and plaster 12hours out who would would buy it ?? More defects than a Great Wall van after it has rolled. Notivce they never tells you the rate they pay tradies ? Now they are into HiPages....Cut price Kevins all competing on price and losing tradies one after another. Like flies on a carcass. But budgets are less per M2 than ever.

The most realistic part this year is the real estate agent. Embodies everything we suspected. Everytime he opens his mouth. Hope he auctions his own and it passes in. Thinks he is building in Kew and doesnt know how to budget. Choice of doors will blow up as once you start with high end doors and finishings they must repeat every single time. Their budget is going south real fast. Clashes with Scotty will get worse. Even last night he slurred the judges with an arrogant outburst and copped a "Scotty".

Apparently tonight we see the major alteration the couple - Mark & Mitch have kept quiet. Thats one way some teams have really made a difference in the past. Shows experience to flip a design around mid build.

Kryys likes this.
  18. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Would love to see Jesse and Mel's pass in at auction. Jesse is extremely unlikable I'd never engage him to sell anything of mine. Hope Mitch and Mark take out it. I think their design change will do well at the auction.

Perthguy likes this.
  19. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Bathroom from scratch in a week? Yeah, na.

Ross 355 and wylie like this.
  20. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

I am not warming to Jesse either. I'm only watching reveal episodes this year. I have made it all the way through the bathroom reveal. That's it