The benefit of private schools

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by sash, 21st Jan, 2024.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Last edited by a moderator: 7th Mar, 2024
  2. MWI

MWI Well-Known Member

This must be your Opinion only @sash, I assume? No facts!
    My kids went to private schools, and I assume we have not been a dysfunctional or socially awkward parents, rather the opposite, I hope.
    They are actually renovating their PPOR and have been so frugal they even surprise me. Niece went to private school too, yet she is following savings plan with a prospect of entering RE market ASAP.
    I don't think a school makes a person, a school is to provide education so each student can then attain further knowledge to assist them in their life, in their journey, to be open minded seeking what they wish to achieve in life. You can send someone one to the brightest school ever but if they are not willing to learn from there not willing to take advantage of that it will be useless. As is any school in life, people can read books but may choose not to act on them.

craigc, Sackie, Beyond Wealth and 7 others like this.
  3. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Nope used to recruit people who went to private schools....lots for prats.

I went to 20k USD international schools...so well aware.....

Its interesting how people have very thin skins ...when private schools are criticized in Australia. Yes it depends on the individual....a lot comes from parents.....attitudes also....

ThisIsLiving and Rambo like this.
  4. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

You seem to think that anyone who disagrees with you on anything is thin skinned ... I wonder why ;)

This is a typical case of causation vs correlation ...

Private schooling generally provides better education but not necessarily better academic results. Plenty of studies on this and it's just common sense ... It's not the job of the school/teachers to raise kids. Their job is to educate them. It's the parents who are meant to raise and instill good values into their offspring.

Children end up being prats/brats due to many reasons (lack of parenting, neglect, personality...) and type of school they went to is rarely one of those reasons.

LIDM, noomi_nooma, Sackie and 8 others like this.
  5. sash

sash Well-Known Member

So you not understand the group think which goes on these schools...... lot of it is an ole boys network......I saw it a lot ...and don't like it....

And yes there is a very thin skin culture here...lets leave it that. I have better things to. Lets get back on topic which is net worth at retirement.

Rambo likes this.
  6. MangoMadness

MangoMadness Well-Known Member

What a school should do isnt necessarily what a school does.

Not so much I think, you learn the book and are graded by the book, divert from that or challenge the teacher and you will be marked down.

However, as a student who is performing poorly compared to their peers they will have a significant amount more coaching and teacher time than ones that are passing. Teachers focus on getting students to pass, challenging students that excel is a secondary concern.

If you sent the brightest student to the lowest scoring school they will be left alone to achieve their effortless A grades as teachers will spend the majority of their time on the failing students. Even though they might be the dux of the school with very little effort they will never reach their full potential as they arnt challenged by being in a group of their intellectual peers.

Schools have the power to make or break people and it happens all the time

7. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

@MWI My daughter goes to a private school. Absolutely loves it so far. Teachers are extremely caring and on the ball. Great facilities and boy security is next bloody level. Parents seem quite nice, helpful and friendly. So do the other kids. When I got lost there once or twice the kids were very eager to help me out and take me to where I needed to go. School has such a nice family (we are all One) vibe. Very, very well organized. School is extremely strict. Which I like. Zero tolerance on bullying. Any bullying and the bullying kids get taken to another school within the school and have to earn the privilege back to the main school. Love it!

Lots of positive feedback from teachers to kids for kind and thoughtful behavior and tons of merit and other achievements in place for kids to earn and work towards.

The education provided and staff on hand is crazy. Not only teachers but psychologists, emotions counsellor, mindset coach. An insane amount of expertise for the kids to draw from and support them. My 5 year old is already explaining to me why she feels frustrated sometimes and strategies she learnt to come back to feeling calm and centered. I was speechless.

Always get a kick outta seeing the Lowys and other high profile successful people on the school achievement boards when they attended.:cool:

So far absolutely no regrets.

Anyone wanting to send to private schools, ignore the haters (these people are everywhere in life and usually very vocal) , do your DD on the school and alternatives and if it ticks most of the boxes, it's a no brainer decision. Especially if you can comfortably afford it. Our kids are our most precious assets.

Last edited by a moderator: 9th Feb, 2024
  8. JCD

JCD Well-Known Member

9. JCD

JCD Well-Known Member

Here here, well said Sackie, agree 100%.
    I was enjoying this thread until it became bullying/abusive/bigotted and rude, some posters seem to think they need to ram their ignorant attitude/ views down everyone’s throat. What do they call them “keyboard warriors “.
    Completely destroys the flow of genuine comments and the entire thread!

WOW. you win “big maan”, well done!

It’s pretty sad when one feels so righteous, that it’s ok to text/speak to people that way with such broad sweeping narrow minded comments. I’ve heard the same rhetoric so many times before and it’s always from the same type of people, poorly educated FIGJAM types, big chip in the shoulder, blue collar, often aimed at a superior/management, it’s the type of rhetoric a union boss flogs on the dock side.
    They can always do it better their way, everyone’s an idiot, no common sense, … blah blah blah,.

what a sad blinkered view of life, clearly having such a narrow experience of the real world , and so embarrassing for them when they open their big “loud mouths” , for whatever reason feel a need to shove it down others throat. Have some decorum please!!

I’d love to hear some more thoughts from those reading if they are not soo scared to post!!

We know the views of some already!! whom need not reply, thanks!!

good on ya Sackie!![/QUOTE]

noomi_nooma, KDP, Redom and 4 others like this.
  10. devank

devank Well-Known Member

I agree with you. We moved our daughter from a selective school to a much closer private school in Year 10. She was quite concerned before joining, but now everything seems to be better.
    Would you say the same for a boys' school though?

Sackie and mrdobalina like this.
  11. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Hey @devank

Well my daughter's school is Co-ed so it's hard for me to say. It's co-ed from daycare all the way through year 12.

Putting all the other factors aside such as good education, teachers, etc, we are also really happy with this school because it maintains a continuity of values, cultural identity and religion from the home to the school and vice versa. I think this is another very important consideration perhaps parents should consider when doing their due diligence on schools. Trying to make sure the school values and home values align.

Last edited: 6th Mar, 2024
    Nobody, mrdobalina and devank like this.
  12. mrdobalina

mrdobalina Well-Known Member

We send our kids to top private schools. Best money spent. Our kids love going to school every single day. The breadth and depth of opportunities is endless.

An example is our eldest has joined the debating team in the last few years. They have about 20 teams across a number of year groups. When they compete against other schools, the public selective schools will usually have 1 or 2 teachers that overseas all their teams. My son's school has an individual coach, for each and every team. That's 20 debating coaches, usually former students who come give back their time. The resources they have at their disposal are endless.

paulF, MangoMadness, Sgav and 3 others like this.
  13. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

I would hate for my boys to go anywhere that's high security (be it a school or a gaol), but each to their own, I guess.

14. devank

devank Well-Known Member

I'm not sure about the value you get out of a boys private school. They all seem to be equally bad :rolleyes:

15. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

It's a possible terrorist target. No choice. But it doesn't bother us. We'd prefer more security than less. They are like family too.

Last edited: 6th Mar, 2024
    craigc and MangoMadness like this.
  16. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

Yes, it's sad all this hate is around in the world!

samiam and Sackie like this.
  17. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Our 3 kids went to the local state schools, primary and high school. We did our research, luckily for us the standards, values and reputations of our closest schools were excellent, and we had no issues.

All “kids” have achieved degrees and post grad, between the 3 there are 3 undergrad degrees, one CPA, one grad certificate, 3 Masters and one PhD (so far).

Good education is not exclusive to private schools.

ThisIsLiving, Rambo, Anne12 and 8 others like this.
  18. Firefly99

Firefly99 Well-Known Member

This sounds similar to my daughters school, although it does not have a religious aspect. I really appreciate the emotional intelligence they teach - my primary school aged child is more mature than most 40 year olds because of it. It’s amazing what the right environment can do.

paulF, Sackie and mrdobalina like this.
  19. Firefly99

Firefly99 Well-Known Member

If it was needed you wouldn’t hate it…
    My child’s school has armed guards. I don’t think she’s even noticed the guns, she has never mentioned it.

Last edited: 7th Mar, 2024
  20. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

100%.

Especially at home. Unfortunately, I think very often parents themselves do so much emotional and psychological damage to their kids due to their own dysfunctional relationship with their partner at home. It's quite sad to see.

Firefly99 and MangoMadness like this.