The Airbnb London office 'reached out' to me last week

Discussion in 'Airbnb & Short Term Letting' started by Depreciator, 18th Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

Being American based, they like to say stuff like they are 'reaching out'. I always imagine somebody sitting at a keyboard typing with one arm outstretched.
    They're building a big flash office in London and in their major locations they like to recreate in the office an Airbnb listing from somewhere in the world. It becomes a conference room or meeting room or something like that. It's a clever idea for them to keep their staff in touch with their core business.
    So somehow, the staff in London happened upon our Airbnb listing at home and want to recreate it in their office. I'm looking forward to seeing what they do. I sent them a couple of better reference pics than the ones on the listing itself.

Airbnb 1.jpg Airbnb 2.jpg Airbnb 3.jpg

charttv, 380, pugstar205 and 10 others like this.
  2. Chrispy

Chrispy Well-Known Member

Wow thats fantastic. Will they find a green stove???

3. Depreciator

Ah, the green stove. It has a nice story behind it. They're unlikely to find one.

Sackie, Chrispy and EN710 like this.
  4. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

How cool is that! Well done, that's a pretty big pat on the back for your styling and hard work! Well done

Do you do all the sourcing and styling? You must have a great shed -is that the one with the new door?? I vaguely recall an old post about your shed on SS

You'll have to get them to throw in free flight to check out the finished job and talk airbnb shop

Gockie likes this.
  5. Depreciator

It's not so much a matter of 'sourcing and styling', more a matter of moving stuff from one part of the property to another. We've got a fair bit of stuff hanging around.

The building with the big sliding glass door will be my shed one day. It will have a couple of other lives between now and then. For now I have to settle for two smaller sheds out in the backyard.

bob shovel likes this.
  6. legallyblonde

legallyblonde Well-Known Member

Imitation is the greatest form of flattery ;)

7. Catalyst

Catalyst Well-Known Member

Gorgeous place @Depreciator :)

Is this an IP that is solely rented out via Airbnb?

8. Depreciator

Yep. It's just on Airbnb - and my kids nab it on the odd occasion it's free for sleepovers with their friends. It's a flat on top of my wife's studio in an old building (ex bakery) attached to our home. I'll dig out a photo of the downstairs studio. It's a great space.

Last edited: 19th Aug, 2015
  9. Depreciator

Found those pics. How good is this space? I would love to have it as a shed. The stairs down one end go up to the Airbnb pad. Studio 1.jpg Studio 2.jpg

bob shovel, Catalyst and Chrispy like this.
  10. Steven Ryan

Steven Ryan Well-Known Member

Gotta be the coolest pad(s) in Marrickville.

You should do tours.

11. Depreciator

It was on the Marrickville Open Studio Trail this year. We had hundreds of people through the place that weekend. It was great fun. I met so many locals who said either a) I can't believe this place is here, or b) I've always wanted to see inside this place.

That building does get pretty cold, though.

bob shovel likes this.
  12. BuyersAgent

BuyersAgent Well-Known Member Business Member

@Depreciator from your comments is the green stove ok? I hope you are just saying they will have trouble replicating the original, not that yours has met with any nasty demise?

13. Depreciator

The green stove is perfect.
    I bought it on ebay for $100. Came out of deceased estate house. The bloke who bought the house was glad to get rid of it – boy, it’s heavy.
    The green enamel was in great condition, that was enough for me.
    Then when I got it home I had a better look at everything else. The hotplates were buggered, so were the drip trays and rims, and the oven door hinges.
    I went looking for some new elements first and found a guy on ebay selling stove elements. I called him up and said, ‘I think I’ve done something dopey. I bought an old green stove and it needs elements and other stuff.’
    He said, ‘Green, huh. St George Constellation? That would be the 1956 B series. I’ll come over.’
    I told him not to worry, but he said he was retired and it wasn’t far. So half an hour later Ray showed up at the gate. He had rockabilly hair and was wearing stubbies, thongs and a work shirt with St George written on it. Ray had worked in the factory in Sydney where those stoves were made. He patted the stove, lovingly.
    I said to him, ‘I’m never going to find elements, am I.’
    ‘Yeah you will’, he said.
    ‘Where?’
    In my car.’
    So Ray went out and came back with elements, drip trays, dress rims, oven hinges, a light globe and even a new clock. All in the original 1950s packaging.
    I said, ‘When St George gave you the arse, Ray, did you take a truck?’
    ‘Nah, but I tried to. They were chucking everything out.’
    He was up for a chat and I knew how these things go so I made us some drinks and snacks and got my tools out and the two of us stripped the stove in my shed and had a good chat. We spent a couple of hours pulling it apart. Then I told him I wanted to give it a good clean while it was in bits and he said he would come back in a few days. It took another three hours to get it all back together and functioning.
    Total cost for parts and labour was $300.

Gockie, inertia, AndrewTDP and 3 others like this.
  14. srirang

srirang Well-Known Member

Great story! Slightly off-topic, does your insurer cover AirBnB tenants similar to other tenants?

15. Depreciator

Landlord insurers are gradually getting their heads around short term rentals. It's taken a while.

16. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

That place is magnificent scott. It would be very hard to move from!

17. Depreciator

We are there for good, Sanj. The amount of stuff we have alone would make it hard to move. And that's just one building.
    It is a building that creates great experiences. We've got a Canadian couple staying upstairs for a month in the Airbnb pad. It turns out his dad was a potter, so Saturday evening we all ended up in the studio having dinner and we pulled out the pottery wheel and everybody had a go at throwing a pot. Such a great thing for kids to have a crack at - better than sitting in front of a screen.

Sat night 1.jpg Sat night 2.jpg Sat night 3.jpg

Sapph, bob shovel, Chrispy and 2 others like this.
  18. Handyandy

Handyandy Well-Known Member

Hi Scot

Somehow I don't think they are going to do it for anywhere near the amount that you did it for. More than likely 5 - 10 times what you have spent. Particularly if they go to the effort to reproduce that set of draws you have under that bench. I suspect they are real wood draws?

Cheers

19. Depreciator

They will certainly spend more than me. Those drawers are 1970s NSW Department of Education. All plywood. They were free. We have another couple of older ones downstairs in the studio. All were being tossed out by the local high school.
    That timber table was free, too - I made it from the ceiling timber when I pulled down the suspended ceiling.
    There is a fair bit of recycled stuff in the space.

Scott

20. Sapph

Sapph Member

Looks fantastic and sounds like the pottery night was great fun :)