The Airbnb explosion in Sydney

Discussion in 'Airbnb & Short Term Letting' started by Depreciator, 6th Jan, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

It's a brilliant view. Even more so at night. And even more so again at Christmas, with Christmas lights on shops and houses along the roadside.

For information for our viewers. Medellin is set in a valley (altitude 1500m) between mountains- altitude 2400m. The airport is in the plateau, hence the view. The central valley is where most of the wealthier population lives, and where there are scores of residential high rises. Although there is one rich area on the mountainside, it's mostly the slum dwellers who get the spectacular views. And steep roads and walkways.

Tranquilo likes this.
  2. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

I've looked at staying at ABNB places but always turns out more expensive for one (not prepared to share a bathroom etc). Can see how it might be a cheaper better alternative for a family.

I want a room with it's own bathroom and privacy - everything even the cheapest hotel provides.

Marg4000 likes this.
  3. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Many AirBnB places provide this. Look for studios or one BR apartments; under the heading, it will say "entire room/apartment".

4. USC

USC Active Member

My friend does airbnb on their 4br townhouse on the CBD edge of Melbourne. Obviously location is the key. And the longer the stay the better.

They usually have parties of around 10 people staying and it's quite a bit of work between guests. They do their own cleaning, so sheets, laundry etc...she estimates a full days work by the time sheets are washed, dryed and changed. Utility costs are high too. But the return is high so it seems to be worth it.

As a guest I love airbnb. For a family, it's a no brainer when you can get a full apartment with kitchen airbnb Vs hotel room for similar price.

teetotal likes this.
  5. House

House Well-Known Member

Well then...

Study claims you can shave years off your home loan by leasing it on Airbnb

6. teetotal

teetotal Well-Known Member

7. rambotrader

rambotrader Well-Known Member

Pretty well on the money.
    Short term lettings are fraught with danger and I have seen them on operation. There will be bucks, hens and out of control parties from young misfits who care not about your property. That means big costs and neighbours whose ability to live in their own homes you will give you a )rightful) hard time.
    You have of course rightly touched on the rental periods being inconsistent. That is what is frequently overlooked as landlords see the big dollars and go into this market with the blinkers in place.
    Good luck to anyone thinking this is a goldmine. It is actually an expensive curse on society and councils, were they not conflicted, would police their zonings rather than look the other way and destroy the ability of neighbours to live in their own homes.

8. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Coming into peak season in Sydney and seems people are quite willing to spend over $1000 a week to live in a 1 br apartment near Sydney CBD for 4 people.

Double rents... no complaints.

TadhgMor and Sackie like this.
  9. S1mon

S1mon Well-Known Member

you should price gouge more Gockie, maybe 2.5 rents :D

July was me' 2nd best month (canberra), even tho depths of winter...less seasonal here i think people only come if they have to ;)

Gockie likes this.
  10. teetotal

teetotal Well-Known Member

I've used AirBnB in Canberra in the past to stay overnight on the way to Snowys. It helps break the trip and saves heaps. So i guess, it probably helps Canberra even more in the depths of winter.