Terri Scheer sewerage claim

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by JesseT, 14th Oct, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. JesseT

JesseT Well-Known Member

I recently had some sewerage issues at my property in Waterford west which turned out to be quite costly.

Initially blocked toilet, plumber went out, cleared sewerage pipe of roots with pressure blaster $429. Then sent council out to see if they would repair.

Council repaired as far as they were willing to go for free.

Toilet blocked again, plumber went out, excavated front yard and replaced entire sewerage pipe as I requested, $1560.74.

So total with plumber is $1989.74, it looks like my Terri Scheer policy covers sewerage as it is defined as part of building, my excess is $500.

Office is closed today so I am unable to start a claim, has anyone had experience making a similar claim with Terri Scheer?

My policy ends this weekend, I was going to change to EBM as I wanted the same insurer over my entire portfolio but may renew with Terri Scheer if I have a claim in process.

2. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

I didn't realise that insurance would cover tree roots going into pipes.

Later edit: had a quick look at the Product Disclosure Statement online and they specifically exclude damage from tree roots (on p. 48).

Last edited: 14th Oct, 2017
    Elives likes this.
  3. JesseT

JesseT Well-Known Member

It may not, has this been your experience?

Interestingly the plumber informed me, tree roots do not 'break into' plumbing causing damage, the leak occurs through faulty plumbing and tree roots simply follow the moisture in as a result.

4. turk

turk Well-Known Member

The pipes are usually vitrified clay with mortar joints, over time the joints crack allowing moisture to escape which attracts the tree roots.

This is a wear and tear issue not a fault issue.

Elives, Tom Rivera and Joynz like this.
  5. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

I have edited my post as I just read the PDS and tree roots are excluded by Terri Scheer (on p. 48).

6. JesseT

JesseT Well-Known Member

I believe it is a PVC sewerage pipe but a screw cap was loose which allowed roots to enter.

Thanks for the info. I guess I will not make a claim then, over to EBM I go.

7. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Sewer pipes are rubber ring jointed, stormwater pipes don't have rubber rings. Hence being more prone to getting ******.

8. turk

turk Well-Known Member

The use of rubber rings began in the early 1970's prior to that mortar joints were used.

9. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

This is a maintenance issue. Over time pipes do move, tree roots get in the slightest crack and blockages eventually occur.

No insurance policy will cover this damage, it is a result of ageing pipes.
    Marg

wylie likes this.
  10. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I'd also add that a total of under $2k for a new and improved and unblocked sewer seems a pretty good deal.

We've just done this for our own house after yet another blockage. Don't ever let anyone tell you Golden Cane plants have shallow or trouble-free root systems. ;)

Tom Rivera and Marg4000 like this.
  11. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

Wow did you really have a Golden Cane get into your pipes!? Were they shallow, or planted directly above the pipework? Aside from the taproot, most palms shouldn't have deep and roving root systems.

That is a good price all up.

Beautiful area too. We lived on waterfront acreage at the end of Katrina Crescent for years, great place to live. It was a shame the owners retired and had to move back into the home.

12. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Hubby dug two huge Golden Canes out, one near our pool that did no damage, but he needed to dig it out to run new drainage when he renovated our pool deck.

And our sewer was blocked probably four times in five years. Twice it was cleared by council as it was at the junction with the main past our boundary, but twice we had cameras put down and the roots were invading probably one metre from the Golden Cane (in our yard). There were no large roots, but hundreds of small long tendrils that went down about a metre.

We wanted to keep the palm, so hubby installed a root barrier to stop them getting into the new poly pipes. We believe the old poly pipes were laid directly onto the drainage gravel and may have been holed as weight went on top.

Tom Rivera likes this.
  13. Elives

Elives Well-Known Member

most sewer pipes were urban wear with mortar joints

14. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

We have a huge Golden Cane about a metre from the front of our brick house. The brickwork goes down 600 ml below the ground level onto the foundations further down in the rock. Should I get a backhoe or do the roots tend to go straight down?

Last edited: 15th Oct, 2017
  15. CowPat

CowPat Well-Known Member

" earthenware"

Elives likes this.
  16. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Nowhere near at fashionable as urban wear