Termites treatment Ipswich

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by minhdung1911, 1st Mar, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. minhdung1911

minhdung1911 Member

Hi guys

We recently had an annual pest inspection organised by our property manager for a property in Ipswich. They found active termites and recommend a treatment and a Termidor to be done at around $2,700.

So i have 2 questions here:
    1. Is this a reasonable price?
    2. Is it correct that i must use the same pest control company that property manager uses? I'd like to ask around for some quotes

The property is a 4-bedroom situated on a 500m2 land.

Thanks for your help in advance.

2. Toon

Toon Well-Known Member

This was a quote I got a year ago:

QUOTE = FULL TERMITE BARRIER. Cost to treat the whole house & shed would be =

Option 1 = $740 + GST Biflex 4 years.

Option 2 = $1090 + GST Termidor 6 years​

Three bedroom house on 600m2 land. This is in Hervey Bay. I went with option 2. There were active termites found and they were eradicated at the same time as the Termidor treatment was done inclusive of the above cost. Total $1199 including GST.

3. minhdung1911

minhdung1911 Member

What you had was good. This pest company charges extra for treating termites (in addition to the 8-year Termidor $2,700).​

4. Toon

Toon Well-Known Member

I wonder if you can get another quote before going ahead?

minhdung1911 likes this.
  5. minhdung1911

minhdung1911 Member

I am wondering whether it would be a problem if i used a different pest company from what property manager uses.

6. Toon

Toon Well-Known Member

It shouldn't be. I asked my PM to organise the specific company that had done the original Termidor barrier long before I owned the property. This was a different pest company than the one the PM had previously organised for ant treatments.

minhdung1911 likes this.
  7. WallyB66

WallyB66 Well-Known Member

Termidor is a good product as Fipronil (active ingredient) is seen as industry best practice and quote sounds OK for house on posts (not slab)

Few brief points:
    - check electrical box for stickers relating to any prior termite treatments
    - where is the termite infestation ie in actual house- not in fences/ outbuildings
    - definitely get another quote - my annual inspections cost ~ <$200 so unless these people provided any evidence of termite damage may even worth requesting another inspection

good luck

Tom Rivera and Toon like this.
  8. Dannyyboy

Dannyyboy Member

Get more quotes?

9. minhdung1911

minhdung1911 Member

Thanks Danny. I will ring up the PM tomorrow about this.

10. minhdung1911

minhdung1911 Member

And yes. I will get some more quotes

11. minhdung1911

minhdung1911 Member

Thanks for your response Wally

The house's flooring is on concrete slab. Does it make the cost go up or down?
    - In the previous termites treatment section, they say Kordon Blanket has been installed as the barriers . There is sticker on the meter box (i'm not there in person so can't take photos of it).
    - They took photos of the termites workings which is on the actual house.
    - i will ring my PM tomorrow and see how i can orgilanise for some other quotes.

If i got another company to do the barriers, then i should tell the PM that i would use them for future pest inspections every year, is that right?

Thanks

12. WallyB66

WallyB66 Well-Known Member

Yeah- usually the Termidor barrier will have a warranty and the firm who does the barrier comes and checks annually so makes sense to stick with the guys who do the barrier
    With regards to the original Kordon barrier-this would have been done as part of house build so do you know how old the house is? This would be warrantied work so worth checking date if still in warranty period

13. minhdung1911

minhdung1911 Member

The house was built in 2012. I might ring the installer a call to check on the warranty. Thanks for the tip.

14. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

Warranty is only valid if they've been out once a year to do a full inspection- has that been done? It's rather expensive so many people wont do it. I've found most companies warrant for six years, check the original warranty.

On a side note- ask for a quote from Savige Pest Control if you do want a second opinion. They're excellent and in Ipswich.

15. minhdung1911

minhdung1911 Member

Thanks a lot Tomas!! Sure i will give them a call.

Tom Rivera likes this.
  16. Heinz57

Heinz57 Well-Known Member

In Ipswich I get Termi mesh, they have been coming since the houses were new.