Termites - Need opinions

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by QD_au, 15th Oct, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. QD_au

QD_au Member

Hi all,

just got a B&P report back.

The pest report found live termites in Trees/Stumps, Fences and Garden.

The inspector also found a sign on the meter box informing a previous termite chemical and/or physical barrier management program has been carried out.

Considering either to negotiate price down or pull out of contract.

What are your opinions?

Thanks in advance,
    QD

2. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

Take a deep breath and don't over react. The place needs a new chemical barrier asap as there are live termites nearby. Have you confirmed there are no live termites in the house? Has there previously been damage? Because there has been a chemical barrier previously this is possible. Is the house lowset? Termites are extremely common in Qld so the tree stump and fence need to be treated as well as the house.
    Make sure if its lowset that you don't have garden beds right up to the side of the house and no wood chips/bark etc next to it as well.

3. Rich2011

Rich2011 Well-Known Member

I'd say your compensation would be to eradicate the live termites present in the fences and garden, dont expect thousands to be knocked off the price from my exp.

How many sites are there for the termites? Where is the IP located?

4. QD_au

QD_au Member

@HUGH72 Taking a deep breath :D Thanks. The house is highset. There were no signs of live termites in the house, however due to flat roof and cladding on top of exterior timber walls, these areas were not accessible, so there was a clause in the reporting stating these couldn't be checked. RE: previous damage, not sure, will be calling the inspector to further clarify and also the people who put on the previous sign in the meter box.

@rico2011 my brother in law got $7k off the original price because he had past termite activity on the back fence, that would be nice.
    RE: how many sites, I need further clarify with the inspector tomorrow.

5. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

They are in a fence and some trees. Why would you try for money off the price except just to "try one on"? I'd say most houses (in Brisbane anyway) would have termites either in the yard or next door. Better in the yard than eating the house. Get something done to treat them or bait them. We've had the old "reduce the price because there are termites in an old stump" and I say "tell'em they're dreaming" :rolleyes:

Propertunity likes this.
  6. QD_au

QD_au Member

@wylie thanks for the advice, I understand your point of view. My intention is not to "try one on", but it would cost me money to rectify areas where there are live termites which potentially can get to the house. I genuinely like the house and concerned that if the house is affected, it cost me a great deal to rectify hence my original comment about considering backing out of the contract.

7. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Following on, is the termite treatment still current? When is it due to be retreated? If it has expired, then there is a reason to require $$ off (or the vendor to undertake retreatment of the termite barrier).

8. wylie

Is this in Brisbane? We have a fantastic pestman. When buyers tried to knock $5k off due to termites in a tree stump and they had a $5k quote, our pestman was about half that for the same barrier treatment. But... he said they didn't need a barrier treatment as quoted. Highset queenslander with no slab and nothing under except cement and dirt just needed baiting stations and the stump was treated. Cost was a couple of hundred from memory.

What sort of work needs doing to keep the termites from the house (other than cleaning up landscaping and keeping timber out of the ground)?

9. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

in brisbane standard .

we had a couple of people try it on when selling . Told hem they had thorough Pest people .

In sydney's north shore , if they don't find evidence of termites , the pest person's not looking hard enough ....

Cliff

QD_au likes this.
  10. QD_au

QD_au Member

@Scott No Mates treatment has expired. Great suggestion :)

@wylie that would be great if you can recommend a pestman :D I am still unclear at this stage, I got the report and didn't get a chance to speak to the B&P inspector directly yet. Will be definitely more educated when I speak to him tomorrow.

@See Change that's so true Cliff about North Shore, how funny!!!

11. wylie

Wayne Creed and his sons at Rifle Pest will look after you. His number is in the phone I'm typing this on. If you have trouble finding it on google let me know and I will add it tomorrow to this thread.

montoya and QD_au like this.
  12. Michael_X

Michael_X Mortgage Broker Business Member

Hi QD_au,

I would suggest this

1. Speak to the B&P inspector verbally and get his opinion. Ask for an estimate on the cost to rectify the issue. I would be asking if there are any moisture, dampness and drainage issues with the property, termites love moisture.

2. Negotiate a discount based on the above or either they fix it themselves. If they fix it add the condition to the contract

Good luck!

Cheers,
    Michael

13. <JC>

<JC> Active Member

Can get this person's name ? I just want to do my regarlar pest report? I have not done it for while already

14. QD_au

QD_au Member

@Michael_X Awesome Michael, thanks!

@<JC> Wylie mentioned: Wayne Creed and his sons at Rifle Pest

15. wylie

Wayne Creed
    Rifle Pest
    0412 489 710

AlbertWT and EN710 like this.
  16. <JC>

<JC> Active Member

Thank you

17. <JC>

<JC> Active Member

Thank you

18. Toon

Toon Well-Known Member

Not wanting to start a new termite thread, so hoping it's OK to jack into this one.

My B&P didn't find any live termites or evidence of current activity, but did find old workings on subfloor & classified the property as 'extremely high risk' of termite attack. Is this be something to get freaked out about or is it pretty par for the course in Qld? There is a meter box sticker saying barrier or treatment was done in 2012 & due in 5 yrs, but the inspector recommends having checks every 12 months instead. Given the house has already survived since 1958, I kind of feel that as long as I get a fresh barrier/treatment done soon after settlement & get regular inspections it should stay standing for a while longer. Unfortunately the inspector didn't use new fandangled technology like a thermal imaging camera.

How would other people react to similar B&P findings?

19. montoya

montoya Well-Known Member

Just stumbled across this thread.

I love how PC can take all the hard work of costly mistakes of finding the right tradies.

We've just purchased a house in Margate QLD that had active termites in a tree stump in the backyard but no live activity or evidence of previous damage elsewhere. The vendors actually got a quote and had it treated and provided evidence that it was done within 24 hours of our pest guy going through.

They were desperate to have the sale go through though, and this worked well for us as we even got a reduction in price for the smallest of things (we could smell their desperation and took advantage of it).

Toon likes this.
  20. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

Toon likes this.