Termites- Brisbane

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by samiam, 13th Oct, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. samiam

samiam Well-Known Member

Evidence were found in our ip (brick) recommended for invasive inspection. No active termite or termite nest however. The property was previously treated.
    Questions are
    1. If we found more termite infestation, what should be the next plan?
    2. What are the consequences of leaving it (if it is too costly to amend) as we may eventually develop the site (in 5 plus years)
    Anyone got similar experience? thanks in advance

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

With no active termite or nest, what is the "evidence" showing up... past damage? How bad is that damage?

I would be having baits placed around the property, to try to stop them before getting into the timber.

Our son's house had "evidence of past termite infestation" but no active termites. When he did major renovation, that damage was all removed, and was not a risk to the integrity of the building.

I guess it depends on what the evidence was that was found.

IMG_4758.JPG

Stoffo likes this.
  3. samiam

samiam Well-Known Member

Thanks @wylie
    It looks like in one of the under house beams with evidence of previous treatment (sticker left from previous). We decided to go with recommendation to look at a bit more but hopefully we won’t have how-long-is-a-piece-of string situation…
    (I can’t attach the phot image for some reason)

4. samiam

samiam Well-Known Member

:eek: That looks extensive though

5. samiam

samiam Well-Known Member

We have got the quote for termite barrier- $5900. Any recommendations?

6. Antoni0

Antoni0 Well-Known Member

The price will vary from house to house because of the size, different treatments and also the available access around the house. I had a quote on a 400 square meter home that came in around $3800. The treatment they were using was call Termidor

samiam likes this.
  7. Lu Bracher

Lu Bracher Well-Known Member

Answer to 1 - if you find infestation - get a thermal imaging inspection and invasive (means they drill holes in wall and send through camera) - good idea to see how extensive - if active - highly recommend treatment.

Answer to 2 - leave it at your peril - even for 5 years as termites can damage properties within months. Properties differ a lot and conducive conditions may affect where nests are. Note they can be within 50m of you home - nests do not need to be on your lot. Get rid of all conducive conditions and ensure you can visually access all entry points to the property.
    If you cannot or do not want to put in a barrier consider a monitoring station (they actually need monitoring - so don't just put it in the ground and forget about it)

Termidor is the better chemical barrier to use of what is on the market. Others are good but not as good.