Termite on outside fence

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by hash_investor, 19th Jul, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. hash_investor

hash_investor Well-Known Member

The termite inspector has come back and advised there is some termite issue with the outside fence. Everything is fine inside. Also gave me a quote which was around $400 to fix it.

Does that sounds reasonable? How soon should I act on this or do I have plenty of time. I don't want to spend money on this for now but will do it if termite entering inside the building is highly likely.

2. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Best to ask the inspector?
    Termite outside should be ok to handle - its different if you find it inside

3. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

Not sure on how reasonable the quote is (get another quote?), but I wouldn't mess around. I'll bet your building insurance doesn't cover damage from termites and those little buggers can move surprisingly quickly.

4. Mick Butterfield

Mick Butterfield Well-Known Member

@hash_investor termites are everywhere. I would not be overly worried about them in the fence. Are they active or is it old damage? Can you get some photos from him of the issue? In every building report I have done while purchasing the inspector has found termites in a tree or in a sleeper in the garden etc... Ensure that the house has adequate prevention ie. ant capping etc. and there should not really be any issues.

5. Ambit

Ambit Well-Known Member

I paid about $330 to get active termites in some garden sleepers treated, no need to panic but I would get it treated fairly soon before they do more damage to the fence.

6. hash_investor

hash_investor Well-Known Member

Should I ask about the termite barrier? Apparently they can't get past the barrier.

If they have adequate barriers applied then how serious the problem can be?

7. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Contact one of pest treatment company and see what they say?

IP 2 had termite outside before I purchase it. It was removed before settlement, however my pest inspector said if it was left there he could have use it as bait and exterminate them all at once. Note that the property is on hard wood, so less likely to have termite.

PFI can assist you with your investment strategies for your SMSF, Life Cover for your members and assistance with compliance. We provide the research to ensure your investment selections achieve the goals. This is the value of advice