QLD Termite inspection in townhouse

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by jjames, 8th May, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. jjames

jjames Member

Looking for information as I'm clueless on this stuff and honestly just sick of being ripped off. Sorry if this is long.

I recently purchased a townhouse on the Gold Coast qld and it's covered under the "building format". Each townhouse is on its own individual lot with no common walls. There is to be a termite inspection in the common areas which means our own private patio areas and outside of the building are to be inspected. They are offering to do an extra inspection of the inside townhouse at an individual cost to me. I'm guessing the older committee member picked this different company due to being a little cheaper and the fact she bypasses the body corporate management company on anything else.

Question 1. If there are no signs of outside termite activity should I even bother to get the inspection inside at $120? Their website has no info about being registered at all. I managed to find the business and it has an abn so I know it is infact a registered business but isn't for GST which I think is unusual considering they'd be purchasing chemicals.

Question 2. If I have horrible midge problem outside under patio pavers. Seems there is moisture coming up from underneath. Under the body corporate can I ask to have the contractor spray or is it only for termites where they'll spray where the cost is covered?

Yes I'm cautious!

2. Michael Mitchell

Michael Mitchell Property Manager Business Member

Hi James,

Under the BCCM Act the Body Corporate has an obligation to maintain the common property and mitigate risks ($ etc), preventative maintenance such as timber and pest inspections are normal and the cost per lot is extremely cheap compared to a stand alone property.

Treatment to your lot is the lot owner's responsibility. If there is a moisture problem this is a separate issue and the mosquitos should be the least of your worries, however if that is normal of the construction, such as a 'wet wall', it's not a defect and not a problem for the BC to address, if I'm understanding your question right.

Also, the good pest inspectors have infrared cameras, clued on operators can often tell you if there are signs of other problems (informally of course) which the heads up of knowing at least could have paid for the pest inspection many times over if it lets you address a more serious developing latent issue not yet known, such as a leak or electrical problem which would show abnormal temperature reading on the IR display.

Tom Rivera likes this.
  3. jjames

jjames Member

Michael Mitchell likes this.
  4. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

As per @Michael Mitchell
    And if you have a moisture/midge problem then spend the $120 !
    Termites love moisture :confused:

Tom Rivera and Michael Mitchell like this.