Termite damage

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by LCK, 1st Dec, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. LCK

LCK Active Member

Hey everyone

Currently 2 days into the cooling off period on a townhouse in the Gold Coast (Parkwood) Just had a chat with the Pest inspector and he found evidence of termite damage in the window frame and a little bit in the back fence. Pest inspector said someone might charge $300-400 to repair the damage as it's fiddly apparently.

I'm not too concerned. He said the damage is very old and no signs of active termites. No structural damage. It's in a complex of 10, however there at roughly 30 other townhouses within that bodycorp. It has around $90,000 in the bank (admin+sinking). He could also find no evidence of termite traps/management around the complex which I'm not sure if it's a good thing or a bad thing. I understand in Queensland termites is quite common due to the climate.

Is this a deal breaker or no?

2. joel

joel Well-Known Member

No signs of active termites doesn't mean there aren't any. You won't really know for sure. Termites could be in any property regardless of what a pest report says.

3. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

I'd suggest you have a good read of the Body Corporate strata report. Look at the minutes of the last few years' AGM's to see if they have had pest inspections or they vote down having one each year (quite common in my experience but also STUPID).
    You might get some history that way. Bear in mind, in a strata complex you are partially responsible for everyone's property - so just getting a pest report on your intended one is 1/30th of the possible liability.

$90K between 30 t/houses is only $3K ea - normal but nothing to get excited about.
    Termites are primarily an East Coast issue (non-issue in Tasmania), not just Qld.