Termite control advice needed

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by giraffez, 28th Jun, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. giraffez

giraffez Well-Known Member

I had a termite inspection and termites were spotted in some dead tree stumps in the back of the yard. Fortunately, there hasn't been any signs of damage to the house. The recommended next steps is termite treatment by creating termite barriers but the cost is roughly $5000!!

I did a bit of research on termite barriers and there seems to be two main types. Both cost roughly the same

1. There are termite stations that can be installed into the soil which holds a rod with chemicals. The rods typically can last about 5 years and then if its worn out or infested with termite activity, it can be replaced for around $150 per rod anytime.

2. Then the other approach is injecting some termite chemical into the soil and under the cement (doesn't seem to use any bait stations). This again lasts about 5 years ... I'm actually not sure what happens after 5 years, it says it can last a lot longer up to 10 -20 years (but this seems so variable and i don't think there is anyway to tell), so does that mean I need to spend another $5000 every 5 years??

I'm not sure which is more effective and which option to go for. It seems the bait stations are more cost effective long term. Does anyone have any expertise in this area that can offer me some recommendation?

One other cheaper option is to drill into the trees and treat where necessary. This is roughly $800-$2000 depending on the number of trees that need treatment. But doesn't offer any barrier around the house.

2. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

Have had 2 invasives in the one house with moderate localised damage , but still needing to rebuild and resheet 2 rooms, the second time.

Used the tattoo method of drilling concrete using Termidor - failed.

Have used the Exterra System, has a higher overall annual cost but is more reliable in that it is provides evidence of activity before they get into the house.

Non reticulated chemical barriers can fail often due to variability in soil density, soil make up, and foundation design

ta
    rolf

Kassy and Shazi like this.
  3. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

Keep getting quotes. I had a quote for $5000 and a quote for $1000. Went with the cheaper. He has a warranty that he’ll come back for free if they return unless you have distrurbed soil, etc. had him back once about a year later, 6 years ago, no probs since. My Pest control man says he could’ve been a lot richer but at least he can sleep at night!

wylie likes this.
  4. giraffez

When I had a look at the process, it did seem quite a bit of work. You lift up all the pavement tiles to inject, go under the subfloors and also need to drill into concrete. You also have to drill into all the surrounding trees to check whether there are nests and treat if there is activity found. The average quite seems to be around $4000- $5000 from the quotes I got. And you have to hope that the person knows what they are doing not just any contractor or trainee that a lot of the big pest control companies send out these days - thats what I was told by the pest controller.
    Also the thing that bugs me is there is no guarantee even after all this that you are termite free.

Stoffo likes this.
  5. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

Which is why I prefer a monitoring/detection and Baiting System..... SANF

40 years ago you'd dump a few litres of DDT into the soil before you poured the slab and it would last 20 + years, hence why it was banned in the mid 80s.

ta
    rolf

6. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

We Used this, my partner researched it and its worked well
    Cost effective, purchased from supplier direct
    All About Termidor - Termidor

Last edited: 28th Jun, 2020
  7. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

Yes he did all that for $1000. It’s his own business and not too far off retirement age. He’s treated another property for me also after having termites inside the house and no problems since.

8. giraffez

I have a feeling that the termites has probably been there in the stumps outside for many years. When I brought the property, the rotten stumps were there already. If there are no visible termite damages to the property but termites are sighted in in the dead stumps in the yard, is it possible to just get the problem stumps treated and no termite barrier needed? It takes time for termites to do considerable damage doesn't it so the yearly inspections should be adequate to pick up any termite activity before there is real damage??

@MTR is this something you did yourself or does it require a pest control professional?

9. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

yes we did ourselves. Dont get sucked into costly treatments

scare tactics push people to pay over the top when Its not necessary, you can do it yourself for fraction of cost.

korando1234 and giraffez like this.
  10. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

This will get rid of the termites in tree stump

This and a $10 spray bottle will work, what is left mixed a little weaker is great for ants and spiders
    Hovex 1L Ultra Lo-Odour Termite Concentrate

I visited this shop find a similar type one near you, they sell all manner of poisons, same place the pest exterminators buy their chemicals from
    Garrards

I had a house inspection and chemicals injected under slab was $500 ish

MTR, korando1234, giraffez and 2 others like this.
  11. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Another user of Hovex (like @Shogun ) from Bunnings
    It has most of the same active ingredients as what is in some of the professional stuff.
    Use it as a general surface spray and to soak around piers and strip footings.
    It is a POISON, so make sure to follow the safety guidelines

giraffez and MTR like this.
  12. giraffez

Are these pet friendly? If not, how long to leave it before having the pet in the yard?

13. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

No good to use most of these things near fish ponds/tanks or birds (or you either)
    Fine once dried (If you are going around licking it up it tastes awful).

Shogun likes this.
  14. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

SDS easy to find with Google tells you everything you need to know about the chemical in question

15. San2018

San2018 Well-Known Member

@MTR where did you buy Termidor and is there any particular youtube video/ website instructions you have used to apply the chemical.

16. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

just a local chemical supplier
    Partner did this. Contact supplier probably we give you all the info you require

korando1234 and San2018 like this.
  17. San2018

San2018 Well-Known Member

Thanks @MTR

Called chemical suppliers in NSW and QLD, they said that they can only sell to pest controllers, not to DIYers.

Any suggestion on where can I source Termidor.

18. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

i am in perth

19. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

That might be a hint. No way would I be handling those chemicals. I'd get a few more quotes.

We had termites in a tree stump on a house being sold. Buyers got a quote for around $5k to drill the stumps, put a barrier in somehow around the Queenslander on stumps. Our own pest guy quoted $2.5k for the same job, but said all it needs is annual check and baiting, for much less.

20. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

If you plan ingesting, it may a problem ;)