Tennant or vacate in planning of renovations

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by tattoo, 4th Sep, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. tattoo

tattoo Well-Known Member

for those whose renovated IPs, in your experience is it better to have the place tennanted during the qouting/planning stages before reno ?

Have apartment lease expiring in Oct. Tennant wants to move out unless rent is drastically reduced. Was thinking of taking the opportunity to do long needed renovations. AGM is in March
    To 'add value' to the IP, I was seeing if a wall can be knocked down and redo the bathroom/kitchen. Replace carpet with engineerd wood flooring, repaint etc.

Agent suggests to offer rent reduction and get tenant to agree on allowing in tradies for qoutes and planning. But from previous experience, the tennant tends to like hanging around and hovering.

Would it be better to let the tennant leave. Have a week or so of vacant property for tradies/renovators to come in and out freely. Then see if someone would agree to a short term rental whilst I get strata approval ?

2. skater

skater Well-Known Member

It's usually easier to do anything without a tenant in the way.

craigc, Angel, wylie and 3 others like this.
  3. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

This is no going to happen anytime soon. It needs strata approval, engineer to design, by-law created to make you or any subsequent owner of the unit responsible (and not the BC or OC) for it, now and into the future.

wylie, thatbum and Stoffo like this.
  4. tattoo

tattoo Well-Known Member

yes, I'm 2 minds about the wall. Open kitchens/living are the rage, but in apartments where its not that big, smells/sounds travel. The kitchen is quite a small, U shape, and that was the only way to opening it up and making more space. Maybe i'll save the money to have custom cabinetry that makes better use of the space

5. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Can you cut a space/window through the kitchen wall rather than take the wall out completely?