Tennant kids drawing on walls and floor

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Blueskies, 8th Oct, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Blueskies

Blueskies Well-Known Member

Hi PC brains trust,

Curious to know what you think is a reasonable course of action here. Tennants moving out in 4 weeks time, I went round on the weekend to inspect the property and noticed fairly significant kids drawing on the interior walls and the concrete carport floor.

Wall drawing looks to be a blue biro, carport red permanent marker.

My plan is to ask them to clean this all off but I suspect they will struggle to get it off, it looks like they have had a try already in a few spots. The concrete perhaps could be gurneyed or use concrete cleaner but it is more the interior walls I am concerned about.

In that case what is a reasonable penalty to charge for this damage? To properly fix I suspect would require repainting multiple walls of the house which wouldn’t be cheap, I’m not super fussy about minor wear and tear but it does look pretty crappy.

Is it reasonable if they can’t fix for me to arrange repainting of the affected walls and recharge cost to them?

Attached Files:

2. Blueskies

3. bmc

bmc Well-Known Member

i see a man with a hat and feather

[​IMG]

I wouldn't worry about the concrete, although the texta could possibly be minimised with a cleaning solution.
    there are paintbrush cleaning solutions at the hardware store that should dissolve it.

you could try cleaning the walls (rubbing alcohol), but i have found it will still be slightly visible unless you paint and seal over it.
    your bond should more than cover any painting costs, or you could just do it yourself and put it down to the joys of parenthood.

datto, Blueskies and Scott No Mates like this.
  4. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

If you google "removing biro from painted plaster walls" you'll get several suggestions. I would be telling your tenants that they need to remove these marks, or pay to have the walls painted.

This is one thing I would not put down to "wear and tear" and I would want to be claiming the bond and have the walls repainted (if the tenants don't organise it before they leave). It seems they've been drawing on several walls, so this is going to make your IP look very shabby.

Edit: The walls look pretty shabby already, except the first photo, or is that due to the tenant's attempts at cleaning?

And I wouldn't worry about the garage floor as it seems to be just concrete, but I'd ask them to at least try to remove it, but wouldn't worry too much if it doesn't come off.

kierank, datto, Archaon and 2 others like this.
  5. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Biro is painful to overpaint, it bleeds through. Walls will require repainting, so contact a painter sooner rather than later.

Dean Collins, datto and Blueskies like this.
  6. robboat

robboat Well-Known Member

Agree with @wylie and @bmc suggestions above...
    As a rugrat owner I recommend Jiff and some judicious elbow grease for the walls and soak some degreaser and pressure wash the concrete....
    You will find out just what quality your "wash and wear" paint is....;)

Take it out of bond if not cleaned before...
    Walls look pretty ordinary anyway so maybe a good time to freshen it up a bit....??

Blueskies and SeafordSunshine like this.
  7. Michael Mitchell

Michael Mitchell Property Manager Business Member

1. Notice to Remedy Breach - this is damage to the property
    2. Entry notice to check if Breach has been remedied
    3. Quote from cleaner to clean/painter to repaint if can't be cleaned
    4. Exit condition report, if bad, claim against bond, if insufficient bond claim through xCAT in parallel to that landlords insurance claim also

Nb. the longer it stays the harder it is to get off. There is a thing with certain textas and pens - it never comes out, you can clean it, paint over it, it leaches through. This is common on the 'tradie mayhem' fb page where builders will write bad stuff on the walls, the painters will paint it - it will look good but in a few weeks its coming through the paint.

8. Blueskies

Thanks all, good advice and probably aligned with the course of action I was thinking as well. Just needed a sense check to see if this was reasonable.

Michael Mitchell likes this.
  9. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Cut those drawings out of the wall.

Have the kids hold the cutting with their parents and take a photo.

Keep the cutting for 20 years on the chance that the budding artist kids makes it big and you clean up.

In the mean time have the tenants pay for the repairs.

Ted Varrick, Dan Wood, Angel and 2 others like this.
  10. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

lol...you have walls still, what you worry about ?

Michael Mitchell likes this.