Tenants want to install refrigerator plumbing

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by thegoat, 23rd Feb, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. thegoat

thegoat Member

Hi,

I hope I'm posting in the right sub-forum.

I got a call from my property manager today. The tenants who have just moved in are asking whether they can have plumbing installed/fitted to where the fridge cavity is. They have a refrigerator that must have an ice or cold water dispenser.

They have told the property manager that they will pay to get this done themselves and have it professionally installed.

My first thought is no because I feel there might be just too many issues with allowing tenants to do this, but I just wanted to get other peoples opinions before I tell them either way.

Thanks

2. Propagate

Propagate Well-Known Member

I'd let them, they're paying. As long as it was installed and warranted by a professional. If they are willing to pay they obviously want to stay for a while, keep them happy.

We had one installed in our PPOR, easy job, no real mess or fuss and keeps Emma in freshly iced Martini's....

BigKahuna, mini2, Hodor and 1 other person like this.
  3. mini2

mini2 Well-Known Member

Yeah let them do it at their own expense but probably by either someone you prefer or your PM recommends.

BigKahuna likes this.
  4. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

I'd definitely let them do this as long as they pay a professional to do the work.

5. thegoat

thegoat Member

Thanks for the replies guys.

My initial thought to say no was because I wasn't sure what's really involved. I'm assuming there will be some pipes that have to come out of the wall in the fridge cavity in order for them to plug in the fridge.

If so, what does that mean for future tenants (eg, does it mean 'normal' fridges won't fit in the cavity anymore because there's a big pipe sticking out)?

6. Propagate

Propagate Well-Known Member

Not necessarily. The fridge water pipe is usually a very small, maybe 5mm diameter flexible tube. The way we did ours was that there was an outside tap on the outside wall of the kitchen. We spurred off the back of that to create another water point inside the kitchen with it's own stop tap, this was inside a cabinet that backed on to the outside tap if that makes sense? Then, the 5mm flexible pipe just screws onto the new water point and runs along the wall behind the cabinets and to the fridge. If if ever needs to be replaced or come out it's a simple case of turning off the new tap in the cupboard and taking the flexible pipe off. Job done. Totally depends where your water points are in relation to the fridge I guess. If you're fridge is on the same wall as your sink it should be a really easy job.

7. thegoat

thegoat Member

Thanks Propagate. I suppose my other worry is that the pipe may burst at some point and cause damage which is obviously a headache I don't wish to have!

8. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Get them to put an extra valve in where they tee off the pipe under the sink. That way you can shut it off when they move or if there is a leak

No Probs and Marg4000 like this.
  9. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

Sounds like a pipedream. :p

10. Digitalism

Digitalism Active Member

Good point to tee off is under the sink with suitable shut off valve and just route the flexible hose through the cabinets. A small hole maybe needed to run at the back of cabinets/pantry to the fridge.

neK likes this.