Tenants want to chop dead tree branches by themselves

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by PropertyInsight, 24th Feb, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. PropertyInsight

PropertyInsight Well-Known Member

I have booked gardener to to chop dead tree branches on Monday. Tree is about 10m high.
    Today tenants called me and want do this job by themselves and credit the same amount dollars to their rent.
    They claimed that husband is aborist and want to do the job to the standard.
    I asked for their tradie licence and public liabiality insuarance. They said they have.
    They threated me that if my gardener damages thier expensive asset, they will invoice me.
    These are very hard tenants who played game all the time.
    Should I let them do it?

2. MyPropertyPro

MyPropertyPro REBAA Buyer's Agents Sutherland Shire & Surrounds Business Member

They said they have it or they have sent it to you?

What asset are they talking about? A car? Tell them to move it when the work is being done.

If they want a credit for the same amount as your quote then there is no real benefit to you and you just expose yourself to more issues (eg. Tenant says after work that it took longer than expected I now want $xx more). If though you say I will credit you half the quote amount if you want to do it yourself (and they show you appropriate insurance etc) it may be of benefit.

I wouldn't say do it yourself out of spite (very hard tenants etc) but if you are talking a few hundred dollars I would just do it myself and save the potential issues that might come from it.

- Luke

Tom Rivera and wylie like this.
  3. Michael Mitchell

Michael Mitchell Property Manager Business Member

No, use your own appointed suitably qualified and insured tradesperson. Issue the tenant the appropriate entry notice along with instruction to stay well clear of the tradesman etc. If the tenant has made threats and you want to move them on, use that as a reason to end their tenancy (notice to leave - with grounds).

Tom Rivera, qak, wylie and 1 other person like this.
  4. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I wouldnt give in. Get the professionals in and keep it all above board and by the book. Especially with these litigious A holes youll wanna be strictly by the book. Come time to renew the lease, I'd kick their asses to the curb faster than Trump tweets silly things.

Antoni0, EN710, skater and 2 others like this.
  5. PropertyInsight

Tenants have not sent me any documents yet. I have decided to hire a professional tradies to tree branch cuts. The tenants still bother me with sms texts. They said if there are any damages, they will invoice me. They requested me to fix other things. I told them contact my RE agent. Do not want to deal with them.

Michael Mitchell likes this.
  6. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

How'd they get your #?

Propertunity likes this.
  7. PropertyInsight

This tenant tried hard on me. They just texted me and ask to cancel my tradies appointment on Monday which we have already sent entry notice on Wednesday.
    They also told that my tradie is not qualified aborist to do the job. Is it required a qualified aborist to cut the dead tree branches?
    Then, they start questioning about other maintenance issues.

8. PropertyInsight

We exchanged numbers when I inspected the IP together with my RE agent.

Next time, I will never pick the tenant's call or reply their sms.

9. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

You learnt your lesson from that boo boo :)

jim1964 likes this.
  10. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

I don't think its a bad thing to have direct contact with your tenants. A good landlord shouldn't have any issues communicating with tenant - even a difficult one.

The answer isn't putting your head in the sand. Is it really that hard to sometimes say "no", or "can you put that through the PM"?

11. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Well have to disagree on this. I know where you are coming from because in the past on rare occasion ive been in contact with my tenants and it worked out well. But I do believe more often than not it is better to keep that professional buffer.

If you have only 5 properties, I would hate to have to deal with all those requests 24/7 as nowadays ppl can whatsapp you and contact you 20 different ways with your number . Professional buffer is best imo.

12. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Is your gardener licensed to cut a 10m tree? My brother has a licence (and insurance) for cutting trees to a certain height but won't cut anything that his insurance will not cover.

I would make sure you are hiring a licenced and insured tree lopper. Don't go "cheap" by hiring someone whose business is not tree lopping.

I would then tell the tenants you have booked a tree lopper, to move their asset (car?) for the day, issue the entry notice as you've been advised by those who do this for a living above.

And make sure you tell them they are not to cut the tree. They might like to call the shots, but it is not their house, or their place to tell you how to do this. But make sure you do it correctly. They sound like a nightmare.

And then don't renew the lease. If these are the same tenants you've posted about previously, I'd be moving them on as soon as you can.

Last edited: 24th Feb, 2019
  13. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

I'd get anyone but the tenant to do something like that.

14. Pumpkin

Pumpkin Well-Known Member

I’d say No for one simple reason: Conflict of Interest.

15. Michael Mitchell

Michael Mitchell Property Manager Business Member

No.

PropertyInsight likes this.
  16. PropertyInsight

Yes, they are the same tenants which I mentioned in another topic. First, theeyomplained about green waste and shrubs and wanted to do all by themselves at $2000. I rejected and asked gardener to to remove shrubs and green wastes. They came back and complained about dead tree branches and posum. Last Wednesday, I flighted interstate to inspect the problem and I booked a licensed tree looper to chop the branches on Monday. Gave tenants 5 days entry notice about this job. Today, they came back and wanted to do this by themselves.

This afternoon, their last sms message is to just let my tradie do the job at 7.30am tomorrow but they will not move their trampoline right at below the tree. My tradie can move the trampoline by himself but if he damages their trampoline, they will send me an invoice equivalent 6 week rent ($700 x 6w == $2800) and credit it to the rent. I do not know if their trampoline is worth $2800. Do they allow to request this? If tradie damages tenants' trampoline, should they claim the tradies and insurer will pay for it?
    - I have not replied to tenants if I accept this claim.

Tree is not actually 10 meters. It was just my guess. Just need cut small dead branches less than 7cm diameter and I do not go for cheap quotes.

PS. I got the public liability insurance certificate from my tradie. Tenants claimed that they are qualified aborist and have public liability insurance but they have not sent me any documents.

My gut feeling that tenants have financial issue or want to end the contract before the expiry date but do not want to be default. They made it difficult to me and manipulate me to terminate contract.

17. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

Probably dont want your tradie to discover their grow op in the backyard.

Is your tenants name @datto by any chance?

Archaon, datto, willair and 1 other person like this.
  18. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

What sort of trampoline is worth $3k?

Tell them that it is left at their risk, they have had 5 days notice to move it as they're aware that it's in the way.

19. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Just learn to say no,you only have to say it once..

20. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Gee... you need these tenants gone.

I'd be printing a screen shot of their SMS where they say they won't move the trampoline. I'd be printing all their texts because if the lopper does damage their trampoline, you may need these refusals to move their "asset" as proof they have chosen to accept the risk.

The sooner they are gone the better. When we've had a few times we've wanted tenants gone, we've offered to allow them to move on without penalty for breaking the lease.

Who decided the tree needed trimming? Them?

When you inspected it, did it need trimming?

When does their lease finish? Perhaps postpone the job (unless there really is a need to have it trimmed right now).

They sound like big trouble.