Tenants taking photos of Owner

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Sharky, 21st Apr, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

The 'kid' is an adult according to the OP.

I wonder if he is on the lease?

2. Sharky

Sharky Active Member

Hey all, we have provided all necessary prior,
    Notification via the agent to the tenant, via post and phone calls giving all relevant time frames before entering the property.

Tenants' child, is an adult who has recently graduated from uni in March.

Tenant is aware of the construction of the GF, we notified them pretty much when I purchased the IP. They were happy as long as they weren't being vacated.

We have done everything by the letter, and consulted our agent before access to the property, ourselves and builders, surveyors etc.

My assumption is that they're are just those type of overly padantic persons.

Just noticed the other day they sealed up the water tap on the outside of the building, so we are unable to use it, over the top I say.

Perthguy and wylie like this.
  3. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Maybe they are worried you won't compensate them for the water usage?

4. Sharky

Sharky Active Member

Oh I understand why they did it, it's just the approach was somewhat over the top. I have no intention or need to use the resource that they would pay for. Don't want to give them anything else to pick at. Not worth the hassle.

5. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

But have you included all details on the lease the tenant signed? They are entitled to "quiet enjoyment" of the property. You can't simply issue notices that you are going to enter the property for building work.

Why should they pay for YOUR water usage? I would lock off any external electrical outlets as well.

I agree it sounds like they are collecting evidence for the tribunal.....
    Marg

kierank likes this.
  6. Sharky

Sharky Active Member

Well we do have their consent to enter the premises when we ask, just when we do go, they start making excuses that we should leave or come back later, it hasn't happened to often, but it was troublesome when some contractors came and were yelled at.

But thanks for the heads up, I'll speak to the agent to see if that may be a scenario that could occur in the future.

The good thing, the agent/pm does all the paper and liaising with the tenant. We only go once he comes back with an Ok.

Perthguy likes this.
  7. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I would look at stopping all work on the GF until their lease expires and give them notice you need the house empty.

Magoo and Marg4000 like this.
  8. Sharky

Sharky Active Member

Oh the lease has already expired, they are currently on a month to month basis as of the end of last month actually.

I really need to get more organized. Argh. This is all still so new.

9. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

I wonder if the workmen were creating a lot of noise, or starting earlier than they should?

Have you reduced the rent to compensate for the inconvenience to the tenants?

10. Pumpkin

Pumpkin Well-Known Member

Will they get to use the Granny Flat when it's completed, without increase in rent?
    Anyway, I will be quite happy for them to take pictures of the entire construction, but not of my or anybody's photos.
    Howabout take a photo of the person(s) taking the photos? :D

11. Sharky

Sharky Active Member

Current rent is about $30-40 pw below market, according to the agent, and from what i learnt about from speaking to the tenants a few doors down.

And like Pumpkin, I'm fine with as many photos as they want. Just not of persons.

12. Marg4000

Frankly, if a person I did not know was in my yard I would be taking pictures too. How does your tenant know that the person is actually entitled to be there?
    Marg

13. Marg4000

You need their consent, in writing, on the lease document, clearly setting out exactly what part of the property will be affected. Preferably fenced off, with own utility connections.

Otherwise they are completely within their rights to deny access if the time is not suitable to them.

And a $30-$40 a week below market rent is not exactly adequate compensation for the fact that you are undertaking building work close to their residence.

I agree you would be better to give correct notice for the tenants to leave, and do the bulk of the noisy building work before re-renting. At least the new tenants will know exactly what the situation is.
    Marg

legallyblonde, kierank and wylie like this.
  14. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

Was their consent given verbally or in writing? Sounds like they might be collecting evidence or at least carefully monitoring who enters the yard.
    As others have indicated I'm not sure maintaining the rent slightly below market is adequate compensation for no 'quiet enjoyment of the property'.
    If I was the tenant I would be watching contractor movement closely as well to ensure nothing was damaged etc.

15. Sharky

Sharky Active Member

That isn't the case in this instance. Tenant is aware of whoever needs to be there, and do not approach to verify if they should be there or not.

They just take photos without a word. And previously when I approached them; they just walk back into the house and close the door.

If they had any concerns they have yet to notify anyone.

So I'm confused =\

Perthguy likes this.
  16. Sharky

Sharky Active Member

They don't do it all the time, just on occassion, hence why I didn't think much of it. Only bothered me as it made my father uncomfortable, hence why I decided to bring it up with PC just to gauge what may be happening.

But I'll raise the concerns brought by PC with my agent and see from there

Edit: Thank you all

Last edited: 22nd Apr, 2017
    Perthguy likes this.
  17. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

It might be nothing to be concerned about but at the very least they aren't happy.

kierank likes this.
  18. SeafordSunshine

SeafordSunshine Well-Known Member

So , they are ' blocking off the water tap.'
    Did they ask permission from you to do this?
    In writing?
    Sharky,
    please Read your lease!

19. Marg4000

Sounds as if they have simply attached a locking top to prevent water theft. No permission needed, it does not affect the tap at all, simply sits over the tap handle so it can't be turned.

We had to do this when neighbours were accessing the garden tap my mums unoccupied house - mum in nursing home. At least we figured this was happening when water usage increased when house vacant. Locking caps on both exterior taps resulted in close to nil water usage! When house sold we removed the caps.
    Marg

20. SeafordSunshine

SeafordSunshine Well-Known Member

'Sounds as if they have simply attached a locking top to prevent water theft. No permission needed, it does not affect the tap at all, simply sits over the tap handle so it can't be turned. '
    Sounds like a good thing!
    I thought they took the tap off...