Tenants not paying the new rent amount

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by morgzzz, 31st Jul, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. morgzzz

morgzzz Member

Hi all,

Frustrated at the moment, one of our tenants was notified back in April that their rent was increasing by $20 a week, effective mid June (we are in NSW)

Just received rental statement through & the tenant is STILL paying the old rate, has been told by the agent to transfer the difference last fortnight, as they are so close to be in arrears.

Statement issued on the 28th of July with rent paid from 16/7-29/7

The agent tells me it's not technically overdue.
    There is $205 sitting in their trust because it can't come out until it's a full weeks rent....

The tenant is week to week...

What would you do?

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Reminder notice doesn't go astray.

There's no reason that the agent can't transfer less than a full week's rent other than sheer laziness to have to check the calculation on the comms.

Lil Skater and Terry_w like this.
  3. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Yes, just have the agent issue a reminder letter.

4. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

I would probably keep hassling the agent to hassle the tenant.

legallyblonde likes this.
  5. Ricky Adelaide

Ricky Adelaide Well-Known Member

Really your agent should be on top of this. Paying rent is always a voluntary action on the tenants behalf. In SA (where I am based) you really can't do anything to actually "force" them to catch up until they are 15 days in arrears- the time line may be different where you are. Other steps should be taken along with a formal letter informing the tenants that their payment history makes up a sizable portion of their ongoing renewal process and reference processes should demonstrate that late/tardy payments are not tolerated.

Have a conversation with your pm and really understand what steps they are taking and how they plan to address the situation if the tenant does not respond with immediate payment.

Wish I could tell you about a magic quick fix but ultimately you can only check that your PM has a good process, is actually doing what they say they will and then trust them to keep you informed - assuming you have a good PM that is ticking these boxes.

6. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

It's good when you find a good one, and they actually proactively tell you what's happening, instead of having to chase them for updates.

Xenia likes this.
  7. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

I agree
    send a reminder notice that there has been an increase in rent
    remind tenant that they are getting further and further into debt as they pay a lower amount and it will be a matter of time before they are issued with a break notice.

MTR, kierank and Ricky Adelaide like this.
  8. Ricky Adelaide

All good ideas Xenia, as a owner I wouldn't be too fused if I know my agent is on top of it.
    Their hands are tied to a certain degree but if they keep you informed it gives you confidence to trust them and know if things change you will know that as well!

Xenia likes this.
  9. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

If they don't start paying the correct rent, then I would think you can push to issue a breach notice once they get a certain number of days behind. Check the rules for the state you are in though.

10. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

A reminder letter is just part of the agent following up - should be done as a matter of course.

11. Big Will

Big Will Well-Known Member

Depending on the legislation for VIC it would take a while to issue breach of notice at $20 p.w. being behind.

12. Owlet

Owlet Well-Known Member

It is a lovely system. The tenant who is meant to pay $350 pw for example comes in and only pays $70. They can't be breached because they are only 5 days behind (needs to be 14 anyway). I was in disbelief when I was first told they had paid for x days rent. I would like to see landlords be able to charge a late payment fee - tenant can still be in arrears but by paying late they are hit with a $5 per day or $20 per week late fee.

13. Ricky Adelaide

agreed, the best time to fix any arrears issues is before they become a matter for tribunal. A series of actions need to be employed so if it does eventually go to tribunal you can show you have given the tenant every opportunity to catch up and anything other than this means dragging it out longer for all involved.

MTR likes this.
  14. Big Will

Worst part is if they are 14 days behind and you issue notice, if they come in and pay $5 on the 14th day they are not 14 days in breach. They could keep coming in each day and putting the daily amount to keep them at 99% behind but still in front of breach notice.

15. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Shh, don't give them any ideas.

16. S.T

S.T Well-Known Member

They may have just forgotten to update their net banking auto payment of rent, happened to me once. No excuse, but it does happen.

17. jim1964

jim1964 1941

[QUOTE="Ricky Adelaide, post: 257280, member: 2481"I wouldn't be too fused if I know my agent is on top of it.[/QUOTE]

Communication is the key,if you know what is going on and in the loop, at an arms length sets the mind at ease.

18. Ricky Adelaide

Yeah, its annoying but that is when you don't renew. The power of indifference is key here. As a owner and PM, at the second instance of what I believe to be shenanigans (say day two they come in, as their may be actual personal issues) I am straight up about it (unfortunately I inherit a lot of these types). Pay your rent in full, on time and look after your house and our owners generally let you stay as long as you want to. Don't as they are moving you on as soon as we are able to.

In cases like you mentions Big Will its a pain managing this kind of So&So because these types normally have a bag full of tricks, but that is why you pay for a PM. Not for when things are going right but to handle things when there is a break down of sorts.

19. Lil Skater

Lil Skater Well-Known Member

The only thing I'd add to the above is to annoy the c*ap out of the tenants. I will literally send a text/call daily, they usually get sick of me within the week and pay it :D

wylie likes this.
  20. Big Will

Yup and that is the correct method of how I would deal with these types of tenants. No lease renewal and issue notice to vacate with correct notice period.