Tenants just left the property without notice

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Novice000, 5th Dec, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Novice000

Novice000 Member

Hi all
    I hope you can give me some pointers on what to do in this situation.
    I have an IP in NSW. The agent just called me this morning to advised she received an email from the tenants advising her because of the shower head leak hasn't been fixed therefore they have moved out and left the keys in the mail box (correct me if I am wrong but I do not think they can legally move out without notice regardless). There has been no indication or talk/negotiation of this prior to today, so I think they have planned this move and looking for any excuse to bail and not pay for the damages/clean up.

The agent went to the property immediately and discovered the tenants had left all of their rubbish at the house.
    Regarding the shower leak, I was notified on the 26th/11 that it was leaking (assuming the agent called me immediately when she got the advice from tenant). The plumber went out on the 29th/11 to fix the shower head. So the it was fixed within 4 days of receiving notice.

As of today the 05th/11, they are just over 3 weeks in arrears so therefore the bond would barely cover the rents. They have been very tardy with the rents, always 2-4 weeks in arrears then they would come in and pay 2 weeks so we couldn't exercise the notice/s the agent issued.

I have not inspected the property yet but I am expecting a lot of damages from their behaviour and the interactions they had with the agents (they were the first tenants after a full renovation, so property was in very good condition with a lot of new stuff i.e. floors, kitchens, paint job and bathroom).

And from the history of their behaviour in the last 4 years and abit, I think there is no chance of getting them to come back and clean up the mess or fix some of the damages, although the agent had tried to call them and left a very tense message.

In your experience, what I can do to prepare my case for insurance claim? or chase tenants for the damages.
    I have read a few of the posts on here that if you misrepresent your case, your claim could be denied.

Thank you.

2. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

This is a normal break lease situation, with some rent arrears. Bread and butter work for your property manager - they shouldn't havent any problems handling the situation.

You probably just need to let them do their work.

wylie likes this.
  3. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

your experience, what I can do to prepare my case for insurance claim? or chase tenants for the damages.
    I have read a few of the posts on here that if you misrepresent your case, your claim could be denied.

Depending on what landlord insurance you have in place,just let the PM and the insurance company work it out,but always have "plan b",you ring up the insurance company yourself explain what's happening get a claim number -case manager and follow everything up..If you have the right insurance then what's happening is just experience and stress testing you..