Tenant wants to take us to VCAT - Help pls

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Tinaandalex, 12th Jul, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

The lease in which no part of the granny flat was excluded from the tenancy

You can claim xyz at tribunal, verbal agreements, etc etc, but the legal instrument in this case is the lease which is what you and the tenant are held to.

All the tenant needs to say is "I never agreed to that" and your arguments fall flat.

2. Tinaandalex

Tinaandalex Well-Known Member

:-(((
    what will you do if you were in our situation?

3. Mumbai

Mumbai Well-Known Member

Ok a better reply this time.
    - Stop using the 'common' area immediately.
    - give him notice to vacate
    - say your husband never used the common area.
    - get back your property and more importantly peace!

4. Tinaandalex

thx Mumbai. Ok with point #1,2&4 but re point #3 we dont know how to lie:-(
    also according to the rules I understand we cant vacate the premise. we have to give him 60 days notice b4 the lease ends which is 10 months away. Any way out for us?

5. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

This is in Melbourne? Don't you have to be related to rent out a granny flat there anyway?

Gypsyblood and S.T like this.
  6. Kangaroo

Kangaroo Well-Known Member

What is that "work station" ? a big machinery or just a computer ?

7. Kangaroo

Also sounds like your tenant is not some one easy to deal with.

8. JDM

JDM Well-Known Member

Not really. The fact you have advertisements and the rent is slightly below market rent really don't help your case too much. The fact remains that you have granted your tenant exclusive use of the granny flat. If the intention of both parties was for the common area to be excluded then there should have been a condition in the tenancy agreement stating this.

Your arguments is based on an oral agreement. An oral agreement (as with a written agreement) needs a "meeting of the minds". That is to say that both yourself and the tenant were on the same page with the use of the common area. All it takes is for the tenant to say they never agreed this and then your argument of an oral agreement has no basis.

If you are really concerned you should seek legal advice but based on what you have posted here I would be very surprised if VCAT found in your favour. It might be best to find a new workstation for the next 10 months.

9. Tinaandalex

work station includes work desk, bookshelves and mini printer.

smallbuyer likes this.
  10. Tinaandalex

sorry I used the term granny flat but it's actually a one bedroom unit at the back of our house

11. Tinaandalex

Okay Ive got some more information here.
    Ive retrieved text message trail between us and tenant where he blamed us of having my husband work in the common area everyday which is contradicting to our initial agreement of having him work there occasionally (he used the word 'rare days'). He said it causes him troubles (ie poor study results) because of my husband's presence.
    Does it mean:
    - we can establish that we can use common area
    - now we need to fight over the balance between each party's right to use the common area?

Does these evidences help ease our problem?

12. Tinaandalex

thx JDM.
    Ive got some more information here.
    Ive retrieved text message trail between us and tenant where he blamed us of having my husband work in the common area everyday which is contradicting to our initial agreement of having him work there occasionally (he used the word 'rare days'). He said it causes him troubles (ie poor study results) because of my husband's presence.
    Does it mean:
    - we can establish that we agreed to use common area
    - now we need to fight over the balance between each party's right to use the common area?

Does these evidences help ease our problem?

13. markson

markson Well-Known Member

Geez that can't be a very comfortable environment for your tenant. Sitting in his dining room eating a nice roast dinner while your husband goes to town on his work station :rolleyes:

Is there any possible way that your husbands work station can be moved to the main house in order to keep the peace? Avoiding going down the path of VCAT and keep your tenant happy = $$$$

I highly doubt you would win this one. They will probably side on the tenant. Poor poor tenant

14. Kangaroo

Increase the rent and move huby out.

Agent99 and wylie like this.
  15. Pumpkin

Pumpkin Well-Known Member

It's only a one-bedder/granny flat, so space must be small, so looks like its very intrusive (everyday! 9-5? ) . Are you prepared to say that you have given him "quite peaceful living condition"?

I would just charge for room rental, or do a Sharehouse agreement. I wont do a lease for renting the whole unit.

Agree with others, IMHO your chance of winning is very low.

wylie likes this.
  16. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

Very good point. If you are renting a granny flat to an unrelated party against the dependant accomodation laws, then vcat may be the tip of the iceberg for you

17. Mumbai

Mumbai Well-Known Member

Did you actually call it 'granny flat' in the contract? Looks like a lodging/boarding than a granny flat . In that case, it is implied you would be using common areas.
    Let them take you to VCAT. Tell them they will have hard time proving your husband uses the area on regular basis. This suggestion is to relieve you from what you got into.

In all fairness, I would hate having someone sit in my living space entire day working with no privacy.

It also seems that the tenants were happy to stay all this while and now either want to get out of the contract or want money. Ask them verbally if they want to move out and offer them some compo (moving costs?)

legallyblonde likes this.
  18. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

VCAT will down you. "Why would anyone agree to this agreement?" will keep playing in the member's mind. Cut him off by reaching a compromise. Tell him his case has poor prospects because you have this and that but in the spirit of compromise, take some cash and vacate. This is the cheap way.

But if you have time to waste then take a punt at VCAT.

wylie likes this.
  19. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Does the tenant want to stay if your husband isn't in his space every day - shared or not - agreed to verbally, or not? I'd hate that set up and would not be happy either.

Do you want him to stay if your husband can move his work station to another area for the duration of his stay? If it is only "desk, bookshelves and mini printer" then why can't your husband tuck them somewhere in your own space?

If you don't want him to stay, I'd be offering $1k if he moves out within a month, but get him to sign something to say that he is agreeing to take it and that it is in full exchange for having had your husband's desk in the "common area".

I don't know how this would stand up legally, but might mean he has signed something agreeing to this compensation. This is not legal advice, mind you, but just my suggestion. Maybe a legal person could jump in and suggest how to get him out, or fix the situation, without risking Vcat.

Maybe sign a new lease now for the same rent, move husband's desk to your own space, and then review the rent at the end of this period. But is the lease even legal if this person isn't a family member? I don't know, but you need to check this too.

And I'd have to agree with the others. Having someone working in "my" flat, whether I agreed to it or not, would be so intrusive and I couldn't imagine you would win at Vcat if it isn't written into the lease.

Also, if you shouldn't even be renting to this person, you certainly don't to risk having to bear the penalties if that comes to light.

Again... not legal advice at all, but you need to be careful with this.

20. Tinaandalex

It's not a granny flat and never a granny flat (sorry for the confusion by using that term). It's a one bedroom unit at the back of the main house. Wish we used the term boarding home in the contract but we didn't.
    My husband works in the common area 70% of the time = 3-3.5 days/week pretty much 9.30-6pm (and we can provide his travel diary as a proof. He's away the other days.
    It seems to me that tenant was once happy with the idea of sharing the common area but now when things go wrong at his end, he's trying to get $ from us and kick us out of our property. Dont know how he justify the amount he claimed (3months worth of rent for him being there for 2 months). By paying this amount, it means we are paying him for living in our property. Doesn't make sense!
    Tried to offer him ending the lease early with some $ incentive or arrangement around the share of common area (ie. hubby works there for certain days, for certain hours) but he rejected. He wants $ plus full right to the unit :-(((