WA Tenant request installation of doggy door

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by FrivolousPanda, 9th Apr, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. FrivolousPanda

FrivolousPanda Well-Known Member

Hi,

Tennant wishes to install a doggy door at the back for their small dog. Tennant is new and have agreed to lease terms which did not include a doggy door but unsure if they have actually signed the lease yet. There is a security grill at the back door so I think they will just keep that propped open.

Whilst for previous tenants pets are to be outside, I'm quite sure they still came inside as it was a small dog.

Any thoughts on whether to agree to it or not? I will stipulate that they pay for costs and the door stays when they leave.

Cheers,

Panda

2. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Start with the question - I want a dog.
    The issue of the dog door and the security door need to be addressed
    - What size, breed and qty of dog/s etc ? Is this approved or not in the lease ? Do you wish to ? + Can you refuse ?
    - Will they alter the door / security door. If so, how ?
    - Will it be an acceptable standard ? Who is doing the work?
    - Are you happy to have your house unsecured at all times if the sec door is left ajar ?

What special conditions are needed ?

Michael Mitchell likes this.
  3. bunkai

bunkai Well-Known Member

I would just say no. Dogs are able to stay outside.

4. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Do you really want to encourage this tenant and future tenants to have a dog inside?
    Marg

Tom Rivera likes this.
  5. Clyde

Clyde Well-Known Member

You could go about it a couple of ways.

The first is to agree to it, for your door to have a hole cut and dog door installed and ask another $5 a week rent.

OR, have them remove your door and store it, have there own door installed and then replace the original door when they leave.

All the best and good luck with it.

sparklestorm and wylie like this.
  6. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

I can't see why you wouldn't agree with it if it doesn't cost you anything.

Do you think a doggy door with make all the difference between whether the dog will come inside or not?

Ryan23, HUGH72, D.T. and 1 other person like this.
  7. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

upload_2019-4-9_18-49-4.jpeg

Michael Mitchell and Tom Rivera like this.
  8. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

My first reaction is to err towards not accepting the request, but @thatbum makes a good point as usual.

Aside from the Dog being inside, I'm just a little annoyed about the idea of them cutting up the security screen door. Pet doors aren't a particularly useful improvement, so there's not a lot of value in you keeping it after they leave.

How badly do you want to keep these tenants happy?

Michael Mitchell likes this.
  9. Michael Mitchell

Michael Mitchell Property Manager Business Member

10. FrivolousPanda

FrivolousPanda Well-Known Member

Thanks all for your thoughts and perspectives. I'll respond overall rather than to each person's comments specifically.

The new tenant already had their small dog approved and the lease is signed but they haven't moved in yet. On paper, tenant appears decent working for an ASX50 company, clear references, and dog is apparently trained.

I've asked the property manager to get more info on how they intent to install the doggy door as the product Michael suggested wouldn't work. The property has no sliding doors and the back door is a normal door installed in a brick wall. So only way I see is to make a hole in the door and put in of those doggie flap doors. Not sure about the security screen and most practical solution is to leave it propped open. Property is still secured to an extent with the exception of people who can fit through a small doggy door as there is a deadbolt on the door. If they are thinking of leaving the back door open and cutting the security screen, I'd probably suggest not too as I feel the security screen door is easier to jimmy open.

Agree with thatbum's view, tenants will bring in small pets or even larger ones so at least having a doggy door means they can go out to do their thing. Pets may not, but at least they can. The property is also a basic place with a decent backyard so allowing pets is a selling point.

They have already offered to pay extra rent before this request, and I feel the rent is at a good rate so think it may be a little audacious to ask for another $5/week as long as they cover the costs.

It's Perth so whilst the rental market is improving, I think I'd rather not loose this tenant unless this is a clear sign of problems to come. Property manager said they were cordial and this seems like a reasonable request - at least they requested and didn't just install it. There were quite a lot of people inspecting the place but not many applications, maybe 10% of the people who came.

wylie, thatbum and Michael Mitchell like this.
  11. Michael Mitchell

Michael Mitchell Property Manager Business Member

Another alternative may be, seeing as a basic screen door is cheap - they buy their own (new or used, some even free on gumtree) to go in place of yours, they modify there's and use that for the duration of their tenancy, then replace it with yours (undamaged) when they leave. It's like 6 screws, don't even need a handyman to do if they're capable.

FrivolousPanda likes this.
  12. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

I wish every Landlord held such a measured perspective on these such matters, you should be applauded for your approach- very conducive to positive relationships which lead to greater financial returns.

Given the above, I can't see any reason why you couldn't go ahead. Just make sure it's done to a professional standard.

wylie and Michael Mitchell like this.