Tenant motive to reduce the rent

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by PropertyInsight, 18th Mar, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

A tenant could offer to improve my property value by 20k, with only a 1k increase in spend by me.

Now, it may be all fine to think this way...BUT.....my property could increase in value by 500k, what good is that too me ? This is the old way of thinking where you can just take on more and more debt.

The reality is, for most workers, especially now, an increase in property value, prob for a short term where some ass of a tenant soon wears it back to zero, has no value at all.

A long time ago the user pays system has been in, but with rentals, the user is often not the one paying.

It really is an ass backwards asset, it is full of headaches from often underpaid and over worked staff, riddled with legislation, and I will be the first to tell everyone, without CG, it is usually not worth touching.

We are in for a period of modest CG I feel, so not pitch of improving the property will work for me, unless, offset by rental increases, which would be hard in many places now.

So when I get calls to fix something, that is not repairable, but is clearly still serviceable etc (from my own observation), my irritation can may be understood, no, PMs do not have to pass on all tenant or neighbors requests, sometimes, you really have to think, if this was my place, would I waste 2, 3 or 4 x my weekly wage just cause it was asked.

lol...I just remembered one knucklehead PM who called me saying a neighbor was sending me a quote for rubbish removal on on own property, cause the tenant asked them too, and there is way more too this, but this was after the PM was told to ignore anything and everything the neighbor said to them, as I was the owner, not the neighbor......but they sucked the new one right in...there was no rubbish BTW, some store roof tiles, about a foot high.... idiots, the lot of them, neighbor, tenant and PM/s

Last edited by a moderator: 21st Mar, 2019
    Tom Rivera and Michael Mitchell like this.
  2. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

There can be a lot more to rent increases than just increasing the number on the lease. We should always remember that rent increase are SUPPOSED to only be applied in order to revert to market value- though of course this isn't always the case, particularly as market value isn't a fixed figure.

In most cases if they seem disconcerted, I'll start by reassuring the tenants that we very much appreciate them, and that the increase is only due to reverting to market value- I'll show them evidence if necessary.

Sometimes they're still unhappy (e.g. they might start reporting maintenance as a form of protest) and then you have to make a decision. In your case, choosing to leave rent as is could have been the right option- though considering taking the curtains back is petty.

This particular negotiation wasn't ideal for you, but you'll consider this situation in future negotiations with them- e.g. if the market does really well next year and you realize you can get $20wk extra, tell them to leave. Ultimately it's not a charity, and if people are going to be unreasonable, then they can expect the same in return.

Last edited: 25th Mar, 2019
  3. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

As usual, some common sense info from you Tom.

It really begs the question at times, if someone can do ok, or, damn, even well, in the PM game, then the mind can start to think, how well someone could do in a game minus all the BS this one has :)

Tom Rivera and Michael Mitchell like this.