Tenant/Landlord Ending tenancy 1 week early – managing agent refuses

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Ruckmauler, 6th Feb, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Ruckmauler

Ruckmauler Member

Very simple situation. I have terminated the tenancy and intend to sell the property. The tenant would like to vacate the property 1 week early and I am happy to accommodate this and to forfeit the final weeks rent BUT the managing agent will not budge on when they do the final inspection. What are my rights/options?

2. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Are you going to sell through the pms agency?

3. Ruckmauler

Ruckmauler Member

No - it is selling through a different agency

4. chrish

chrish Well-Known Member

Final inspection is for landlord's benefit, you could do it yourself if tenant agrees.
    Or, ask the agency for different pm. Did they give you a reason? Perhaps they are booked out?

5. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

They have no right to do this. They work on your behalf, which means following your instructions. If you allow the tenant to leave a week early and the tenant does so, then they have a responsibility to conduct the exit inspection in a timely manner- I believe it's within three business days down there?

It's a bit heavy handed, but if it were me and they were being absolutely impossible, I might have my solicitor suggest that if their negligent process was to result in the failure to claim legitimate exit claims (i.e. cleaning, damage), you will be holding them responsible.

I would also attend the exit inspection with them to make sure they do their job properly.

Do you expect that there may be any issues with the condition of the property at exit?

Last edited: 7th Feb, 2018
    EN710 and Pumpkin like this.
  6. Ruckmauler

Ruckmauler Member

Thanks everyone for those thoughtful comments.

Tom - no I don't expect there to be any issues - my selling agent has been in the apartment a couple of times and we are actually going to do a repaint and recarpet before selling, so there shouldn't be too much else apart from kitchen. Very interesting about the inspection to be performed within 3 business day - they will have certainly had that.

Chrish - yes - they said they were too busy to do a final inspection a week early.

I have contacted the principal of the agency to complain and expedite this process.

7. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Do they use social media to promote the agency? Maybe a bad review might get noticed. LLs are customers after all.