Tenant installed NBN without my consent

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Pineapplecake, 30th Nov, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Pineapplecake

Pineapplecake New Member

Hi everyone,

My tenant recently moved in and installed NBN without my consent. They are now asking me to reimburse the $300 initial fee, however in our rental agreement, they are supposed to ask for my written consent if they are going to do any alterations to the apartment.

Would I still be liable to pay for the fee or the tenant?

Thanks in advanced!

luckyone likes this.
  2. Phoenix Pete

Phoenix Pete Well-Known Member

I would reimburse the tenant because they won't be taking the NBN with them when they vacate.

Would you have knocked back their request to install NBN ?

I'd also stipulate that they need to run any future alterations/improvements/repairs past you first.

Bradley Peet and Shazz@ like this.
  3. thydzik

thydzik Well-Known Member

What alterations were made to the apartment?
    If it isn't to your liking ask them to remove and install to your preferred liking yourself.

4. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

Sorry?
    NBN installation is supposed to be free!

Bunbury likes this.
  5. Lindsay_W

Lindsay_W Well-Known Member

There's optional $240 install fee or a $300 new development charge

spludgey likes this.
  6. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Sounds like it's the $300 new development charge - is this a brand new apartment or one that NBN has never been connected to?
    There is generally no "installation" if so as the apartment would be NBN ready, this fee is for NBNCo to do their works. The developer would have paid their fees for the NBN to be provided to the building then the first connection fee is paid by the owner - that is how the split the total cost of NBN - it's like $600 or so for the developer and $300 for the owner

RPI and Stoffo like this.
  7. Shazz@

Shazz@ Well-Known Member

Sounds like a new build. Tenant was probably sorting out their internet, and the provider probably mentioned that NBN connection has to be installed first. They probably agreed not thinking much of it.

Pay it.. unless you want this tenant and future tenants to have no internet.

Perp likes this.
  8. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

The initial fee is no different to getting the phone reconnected after any great length of time. The Telco will provide the NBN equipment programmed to the property.

It stays with the property and will mean that future tenants will have NBN access (ie it's a very low cost value add).

Phoenix Pete likes this.
  9. Millie

Millie Well-Known Member

I would happily pay $300 if that would mean I didn’t have to lose half my brain trying to organise it/wait on hold/get hung up on/get forgotten/make a new appointment time - need I go on ?

10. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

NBN connected makes your property far more rentable in the future, people want it. Consider it as an investment in minimising future vacancies.

Robw76 and Phoenix Pete like this.
  11. jared7825

jared7825 Well-Known Member

So you rented them an apartment with no capability for internet service?
    Would you have installed it if they asked? What actual alteration has been made

The NBN is a fixture that stays with the apartment, get a copy of the invoice and reimburse

Robw76 and Phoenix Pete like this.
  12. pwnitat0r

pwnitat0r Well-Known Member

Were you going to say no?

Reminds me of my ex landlord who refused to reimburse plumbing costs for a blocked sink because they didn’t approve it. They would have had to pay it anyway because it’s an emergency repair. I took them to tribunal.

trustnoone and Phoenix Pete like this.
  13. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Yes, so they got to pay extra for representation and the tribunal fees.

Phoenix Pete likes this.
  14. Mel Morgan

Mel Morgan Sydney Property Manager Business Member

The installation of NBN should not be any issue, however the $300 fee should be discussed/negotiated with you as it was incurred without your knowledge. Its something your PM should have agreed with the tenant at lease signing as this is the case with every new build.

MyPropertyPro, Rugrat and punti like this.
  15. MB18

MB18 Well-Known Member

Reimburse them and drop off a bottle of wine for doing the leg work for you.

16. unicorntears

unicorntears Well-Known Member

AFAIK, NBN roll-out meant most providers stopped offering ADSL and cable internet connections. Your tenant did the legwork of getting your property connected to the internet.

17. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

I agree that the landlord should pay for the provisioning of appropriate internet services. That's quite reasonable.

However one of my pet hates is when someone spend money and expecting me to reimberse them, without having the courtesy of actually discussing it with me first. If you're going to spend my money, at least ask me about it first. Assuming you can simply spend someone elses money is just rude.

At this point I'd offer to pay half, with the message that if they need non essential changes made they need to make a courtesy call first, or they'll pay for it all.

18. unicorntears

unicorntears Well-Known Member

I consider an internet connection an essential service.

Perp, Shazz@, Firefly99 and 1 other person like this.
  19. skater

skater Well-Known Member

It's perfectly reasonable to pay for the service, but I think I'd play hardball if they didn't ask first & then go for the reimbursement later route.

In the same vein as when there's maintenance requests that have been caused by tenants, I let the PMs know that the tenant will be responsible for the payment.

20. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

Internet probably is considered an essential service and most people have access to the internet via their phone. I know a lot of people who don't have an internet connection directly into their home and many of them are yonger than I am.

Also the PM has authorisation to cover essential repairs in my stead, the tenants do not. The tenants at least should have at least consulted the PM.

AxeLy and wylie like this.