Tenant broke Pilot Light

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Scaphella, 7th Nov, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Scaphella

Scaphella Well-Known Member

So day one of my new tenant moving in and he broke the pilot light trying to get the gas hws working. I specifically tested the system prior to ensure the gas was OK as every time someone moves in a plumber is called because they tenant can't light the pilot light, i am not sure why as i'ts just like every other system and the instructions are on the door...so lesson learnt, i should have left it on the day before...

Anyway, plumber comes out, says system is too old to repair and shows tenant how to manually light the system, $99 call out. Is this something you would go halves with as technically the tenant broke it OR just cop it? I guess after having the place vacant for 11 weeks and taking a $90 per week reduction in rent and the previous tenant just taking the **** with repairs that were technically damage I want to ensure i am not walked all over again.

Thanks

2. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Does the invoice or plumber say the tenant broke the pilot light ?

If they have been shown how to light it and it works, then seems like you are paying for a 99 short course in using matches or a lighter :)

Player and Scott No Mates like this.
  3. Scaphella

The PM just said the pilot light was pushed in whilst attempting to light it.

4. dabbler

Well, you could discuss with them, but that does not sound like they did anything ridiculous or negligent or malicious.

I am wondering why you did not leave the pilot light if they were moving in, anyways.....

Also, if they are happy, I would let them carry on, I would not repair either, would replace with one that does not require any manual intervention when tenants are involved once noo longer operational.

5. Scaphella

Because the house was vacant for 11 weeks the gas got turned off when the previous tenant cancelled their bill with the gas company. I called Alinta and they said you can turn it on to test but then you have to turn it off. I can only give him the benefit of the doubt that he didn't vigorously press it a million times cause he can't read instructions :D

6. JacM

JacM VIC Buyer's Agent - Melbourne, Geelong, Ballarat Business Member

HWS and Central Heating pilot lights... the joy of having to send the plumber to relight them after the gas has been switched off and on again.

7. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Let the tenant provide their own hws......

Oh...that's right you can only do that with commercial or retail premises.

JacM likes this.
  8. dabbler

Is there a specific requirement for hot water ? provide one, yes, but maybe a K mart 2lt special would suffice with an element, after all many seem to have lot of time on their hands, right ? (we should ask the lucky one.

Lil Skater and Scott No Mates like this.
  9. dabbler

Don't worry, your not Robinson Crusoe, I think you would be surprised at how many would be paying plumbers to re light pilot lights.

Just talking to someone last week with this issue and the cost to repair, I would always suggest changing to the ones with electric igniters