Tell me it can't be done

Discussion in 'Innovative Property Investment Techniques' started by Scott No Mates, 19th Apr, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

2. Colin Rice

Colin Rice Mortgage Broker Business Member

I met a staunch catholic who was on a similar course. Trouble was it was back in the early 2000s and Perth has had a few cycles since then and the first cycle was a double bubble. Wonder how he went?

3. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I knew an Italian family who's kids grew up and lived at home. They all pooled their incomes and when each child reached around 28 there was enough for each one to buy an affordable first dwelling. It worked really well for them.

Ouchmyknees and Ross Forrester like this.
  4. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

5. Scott No Mates

With the religious fanaticism or the investing?

All's good until a g/f or b/f comes into the picture and jealousy reigns.

6. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

I have had several old clients in 60s buy a first home in the past 5 years. Drawing their super, using first home buyer incentives means they qualify for pension and no rent has to be paid.

But I dont get people who save for thirty years to amass a huge deposit because they fear a mortgage greater than $100K. They just moan about prices rising faster than they can save and never act.

Brady and thydzik like this.
  7. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

How is Twiggy ?

Colin Rice likes this.
  8. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Sounds like they lived liked misers to do it.

Reminds me of the kid at school who wore hand me downs. Copped a wedgy ever day.

Years later when I saw him walking through Kmart with his family I snuck up and gave another wedgy lol.

9. Colin Rice

Colin Rice Mortgage Broker Business Member

Religion was once an interest of mine but then I learnt a little thing called critical thinking so lets say investing :)

chylld, Gockie, Terry_w and 1 other person like this.
  10. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

"The couple and their young child almost never eat out and buy mostly second-hand rather than new. They collect and use discount vouchers, they don't have the internet connected at home (only using the data on their phones) and even turn off appliances at the power point.

"We also negotiate interest rates with the banks on our small mortgage in Sydney."

This is newsworthy now? I do all this and a lot more. This only gets them to level 1 frugal.

The Y-man, Anthony Brew and Archaon like this.
  11. Scott No Mates

All's good un
    A choc wedge?

datto likes this.
  12. Perthguy

I was raised in a religion/cult that taught critical thinking. Put it this way, it hasn't done well ;)

chylld and Colin Rice like this.
  13. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

The best FHOG story I heard (and I assume it was true) was back in the days when it was $14,000.

Apparently, there was a "house" for sale in Broken Hill for $14,000. This guy bought it, qualified for FHOG and received the full purchase price. I assume he had the cash or borrowed for legal, etc.

The house was missing a few mod-cons. For example, it had an earthen floor, ...

As they say, there are many ways to get on the property merry-go-round :).

Archaon likes this.
  14. noogie60

noogie60 Well-Known Member

You can if you are an NBA star.
    Hakeem Olajuwon built a highly successful portfolio (in Texas) purely from cash- due to his strong religious beliefs about interest, etc after his basketball career. He is said to have made as much from his (100% cash funded) real estate plays as from his entire playing career (in the order of $100 million for each)

TheRichest - The World's Most Entertaining Site
    A Slam-Dunk in Houston Real Estate

Colin Rice likes this.
  15. fpap

fpap Active Member

I lived next door to a family that all pooled their money and bought a house for each child. There were 5 boys and over a period of years they all had a house freehold. Early crowdfunding, or should I say familyfunding.

The Y-man and Perthguy like this.
  16. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Not plausible. G/F or B/f must be approved by the parents or the beneficiary will be excommunicated and all assets seized.....

The Y-man

17. chylld

chylld Well-Known Member

Nothing too special about this... I see this mainly as the difference between going as far as your savings gets you (family in the article) and going as far as savings+finance gets you (PCers)

Pretty sure most of us could liquidate our portfolios and buy a reasonable PPOR without debt, but what good does that do you besides being able to say "I have no debt"? The cashflow and strategy position would be severely compromised.

Perthguy likes this.
  18. Perthguy

What if you could sell one I.P. and clear all your debt? The catch is that it is your highest yielding I.P. I may be in this position soon and not sure what I will do.

paulF likes this.
  19. chylld

chylld Well-Known Member

Great situation to be in, congrats :)

Personally though I wouldn't sell the IP, but rather retain the security for topups which buy liquid investments which then fill up offset accounts for each IP loan, and become pseudo-debt-free that way.

paulF and Perthguy like this.
  20. Perthguy

I am keeping my options open but leaning towards keeping it. My only concern is hitting max borrowing capacity but then I haven't ever had a project where I couldn't secure finding. I guess if it was stopping me moving forward, I would sell. Other than that, I will hold.

chylld likes this.